This chef’s revolutionary tips for a perfect roast dinner include a beloved Aussie item!

Ah, the roast dinner—a staple of Australian family gatherings and a Sunday tradition that brings comfort and nostalgia to the table.

What if there's a way to take your roast from good to great, from comforting to utterly unforgettable?

It's all about the little tweaks and unexpected tricks that can elevate your cooking to greater heights.

Matt Webster, a culinary maestro from Seasoned Pioneers, has shared some revolutionary tips that might change your approach to roast dinners.

These are not run-of-the-mill suggestions; we're talking about game-changing tips that will have guests marvelling at your culinary prowess.

compressed-pexels-mayumi-maciel-17988078.jpeg
Get ready to wow the crowd with Matt Webster’s roasting tips. Image Credit: Pexels/Mayumi Maciel

First, let's talk potatoes.

We've all spent what feels like hours peeling spuds, but Matt suggests a time-saving technique that also enhances the flavour.

‘Simply make a small cut all the way around the potato, then par-boil as normal,’ he shared.

‘Once boiled, the skin will just slide off the potato, ready for roasting.’

For a crispy finish, let those fluffed-up potatoes cool before plunging them into hot oil.

This simple change saves time and preserves the nutrients often lost when peeling potatoes.

Moving on to the centrepiece of many roasts: the lamb.

‘While there’s nothing wrong with keeping it classic, the best trick to wow your guests is to go wild with your lamb flavourings to create a true showstopper,’ he said.

Have you ever considered seasoning your lamb with Vegemite?

The umami-rich spread can bring a depth of flavour to lamb that you might never have imagined.

Alternatively, Matt suggests exploring the aromatic world of Moroccan spices like cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg.

Marinating the meat in an African Ras-el-Hanout spice blend also works for a burst of flavour.

When it comes to seasoning, it's not just what you use but how you apply it.

Forget sprinkling with fingertips; Matt advises that you either rub the seasoning all over the meat.

You can use your wrist to 'throw' the seasoning along the length of the meat for even coverage. This ensures every bite is as delicious as the last.

Garlic lovers, rejoice! There's a quicker way to prepare this pungent favourite other than chopping.

‘So, instead, just mince garlic with a grater and it comes out like a perfect paste, ideal for rubbing on meat or veg,’ he said.

Now, let's talk about efficiency. Roast dinners are a juggling act of timing and oven space, but Matt's one-pot wonder trick simplifies the process.

By layering ingredients on trays and roasting them together, you save time and reduce cleanup.

‘[But] you can also change the timings by the way you chop everything, so cut things with shorter cooking times into bigger chunks, with foods that take longer to cook in smaller pieces,’ he advised.

Lastly, it's time to talk about the crowning glory of any roast—the gravy.

Don't discard the water from your boiled veggies or potatoes.

This starchy liquid is the secret to a quick and flavourful veggie stock that serves as a base for a rich and thick gravy.

With all these tips in mind, get ready to steal the show with a stellar meal that will delight family and friends!
Key Takeaways

• Matt Webster from Seasoned Pioneers shared his top tips to improve the quality of roast dinners.
  • He suggests not peeling potatoes before boiling and using unconventional seasonings like marmite for lamb.
  • He offered practical cooking advice, including grating garlic and throwing seasoning at meat for even coverage.
  • To simplify the cooking process and enhance the flavour, Matt recommends cooking everything in one pot and using vegetable drippings for gravy.
Have you tried any unconventional seasoning with your roast? Do you have any roast dinner tips of your own? Share your stories and tips in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
Wrap roast in foil with a pkt of French onion soup mix (a trick from my kitchen hand days). This makes the meat melt in your mouth
Bit salty for me, I don't eat meat anyway. I roast chicken or fish and use a lot of middle eastern spices, just because I like it. Think I was born in the wrong country. I do use french onion soup to make apricot chicken though. 💐

Bit salty for me, I don't eat meat anyway. I roast chicken or fish and use a lot of middle eastern spices, just because I like it. Think I was born in the wrong country. I do use french onion soup to make apricot chicken though. 💐
Must confess I do love my salt

Reactions: maherdj and DLHM
Really annoying when you pay for a roast dinner out, and the veges ,potato and pumpkin have been steamed and not crispy or in any way baked.:censored:
I’m cooking a roast right now, but I prefer steamed veg. I will be roasting the pumpkin but. And this time we are having mashed potato not roasted for a change.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I cook my lamb for 2 hours , adding a little water when needed , then I put the lamb into a new pan and cook the potatoes, pumpkin ect in the juices of the lamb for around 1 hour. When I add them to the pan I turn them to coat them in the juices. No salt or seasoning when I do them this way
They are the best.
Screenshot_20240410_215244_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
You can buy a salt reduced French Onion Soup mix. That might make it more to your taste.

i just recently cooked a roast lamb, I made small cuts all over the lamb and inserted slithers of fresh garlic into the cuts. Then rubbed the lamb with a lamb rub I was given, which was purchased at Bunnings. Roasted in the oven on 180 degrees celsius for two and a half hours. I then take out of oven and cover with foil to rest. I always par cook my potatoes & carrots, then add vegetables to the juices of the lamb and roast for 45 minutes on 180 degrees. With the remaining juices after cooking the vegetables I make a gravy by adding butter, flour & beef stock 😋

I cook my lamb for 2 hours , adding a little water when needed , then I put the lamb into a new pan and cook the potatoes, pumpkin ect in the juices of the lamb for around 1 hour. When I add them to the pan I turn them to coat them in the juices. No salt or seasoning when I do them this way
They are the best.
View attachment 45068
That looks appealing, just how you might expect. 😋

i just recently cooked a roast lamb, I made small cuts all over the lamb and inserted slithers of fresh garlic into the cuts. Then rubbed the lamb with a lamb rub I was given, which was purchased at Bunnings. Roasted in the oven on 180 degrees celsius for two and a half hours. I then take out of oven and cover with foil to rest. I always par cook my potatoes & carrots, then add vegetables to the juices of the lamb and roast for 45 minutes on 180 degrees. With the remaining juices after cooking the vegetables I make a gravy by adding butter, flour & beef stock 😋
Why would Bunnings sell a food rub what is it a of pkt sawdust.🤣enlighten me please.

• Haha
Reactions: Passion