This car has been named Australia's favourite - AGAIN!

We Aussies love our cars; that's a given. But which car is our absolute favourite? Down Under, there's nothing more iconic than our beloved utes, but for the past seven years, there's a particularly beloved vehicle that's been on every Australian's mind.

Do you know what that is? Drumroll, please…

Yes, it's none other than the Toyota Hi-Lux!

The Toyota Hi-Lux has held its crown as Australia's most popular car for the seventh year in a row, according to the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries' data. And what's even more amazing is that it's the car brand's twentieth year already on the throne. Talk about undisputed!

Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 9.55.19 AM.png
The Toyota Hi-Lux has been named Australia's most popular car – again! Credit: Toyota.

Despite supply chain difficulties, delivery delays, and even a pandemic still at play, about 1,081,429 cars were sold across the nation in the entirety of 2022, with Toyota making up 21 per cent of that (of which 64,000 were Hi-Lux models).

Experts suggest that the demand for the Hi-Lux is closely linked to the demand for larger SUVs and utes.

While the Toyota Hi-Lux is no stranger to the top spot, there were plenty of other car models that Aussies seemingly couldn't get enough of, such as the Ford Ranger in second place and the Toyota Rav 4 in third.

The Mitsubishi Triton made it into the top five, coming in at fourth place. The Mazda CX-5, which came in at fifth place, was not far behind, with just over 27,400 sales.

The other vehicles that made it to Australia's top ten list for 2022 are as follows: the Toyota Corolla comes in at number six, followed by the Toyota LandCruiser at number seven, the Isuzu Ute D-Max at number eight, the MG ZS at number nine, and the Hyundai i30, which comes in at the tenth spot.

Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 9.55.09 AM.png
This list showcases the top 10 best-selling car models in Australia in the year 2022. Credit: FCAI.

Here are the ten car brands that made the list of most popular in the country:
  1. Toyota
  2. Mazda
  3. Kia
  4. Mitsubishi
  5. Hyundai
  6. Ford
  7. MG
  8. Subaru
  9. Isuzu
  10. Volkswagen
SUVs and light commercial vehicles made up the majority of sales across all car brands, accounting for over 76.8 per cent, with passenger vehicle sales of 203,056 units making up 18.8 per cent, SUVs with 574,632 sales making up 53.1 per cent and light commercial vehicles with 256,382 unit sales making up 23.7 per cent.

As for the kind of cars sold, petrol-powered vehicle sales far exceeded all other types, with 551,556 units being sold (51 per cent) ahead of diesel (33.4 per cent), hybrid (7.6 per cent), electric (3.1 per cent), and finally plug-in hybrid (0.5 per cent).

Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 9.55.02 AM.png
Petrol-powered vehicle sales far exceeded all other types of cars sold in 2022. Credit: FCAI.

FCAI chief executive, Tony Weber, spoke on the success of sales throughout 2022 and said while the car industry had been challenged by the pandemic recovery, microprocessor shortage and supply bottlenecks, it had been resilient and recovered well.

'While 2022 has been a year of resilience and recovery, 2023 is shaping up as one of the most significant in recent history, particularly in terms of the development of policies that set the direction for the future decarbonisation of the light vehicle fleet,' he said.

'As the peak representative body for vehicle distributors, FCAI has advocated for a fuel efficiency standard for many years,' Weber went on to say.

'We are optimistic that the Federal Government will take action in 2023 and introduce a standard that achieves the policy outcomes that lead to emission reductions while enabling Australians to drive the vehicles that they need and want.'
Key Takeaways

• Despite post-pandemic supply chain challenges and delivery delays, Australians purchased a total of 1,081,429 cars in 2022.
  • Toyota remained the top-selling car brand in Australia for the seventh year in a row, with 21.4 per cent of cars sold. The Toyota Hi-Lux was the most popular car sold.
  • SUVs and light commercial cars were also hotly in demand in 2022, with the Ford Ranger and Toyota Rav 4 being in the top five most popular car models.
You can't deny the strength of Toyota's presence in the Australian car market – they've proven to be reliable, enjoyable, and useful across multiple models and generations of vehicles.

Also, it helps that they are always prioritising innovation, continuously coming up with new car technologies and designs to keep up with today's demanding lifestyle.

If you're looking for a car that lasts and with plenty of options to choose from, then it's hard to go past a Toyota - the sales figures speak for themselves.

What are your thoughts on this? Were you surprised that the Hi-Lux retained its place at the top of the list? If you're planning to purchase a new car in the next 12 months, let us know what you've got your eye on!

Sponsored
Too big
We Aussies love our cars; that's a given. But which car is our absolute favourite? Down Under, there's nothing more iconic than our beloved utes, but for the past seven years, there's a particularly beloved vehicle that's been on every Australian's mind.

The Toyota Hi-Lux has held its crown as Australia's most popular car for the seventh year in a row, according to the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries' data. And what's even more amazing is that it's the car brand's twentieth year already on the throne. Talk about undisputed!

View attachment 11278
The Toyota Hi-Lux has been named Australia's most popular car – again! Credit: Toyota.

Despite supply chain difficulties, delivery delays, and even a pandemic still at play, about 1,081,429 cars were sold across the nation in the entirety of 2022, with Toyota making up 21 per cent of that (of which 64,000 were Hi-Lux models).

Experts suggest that the demand for the Hi-Lux is closely linked to the demand for larger SUVs and utes.

While the Toyota Hi-Lux is no stranger to the top spot, there were plenty of other car models that Aussies seemingly couldn't get enough of, such as the Ford Ranger in second place and the Toyota Rav 4 in third.

The Mitsubishi Triton made it into the top five, coming in at fourth place. The Mazda CX-5, which came in at fifth place, was not far behind, with just over 27,400 sales.

The other vehicles that made it to Australia's top ten list for 2022 are as follows: the Toyota Corolla comes in at number six, followed by the Toyota LandCruiser at number seven, the Isuzu Ute D-Max at number eight, the MG ZS at number nine, and the Hyundai i30, which comes in at the tenth spot.

View attachment 11279
This list showcases the top 10 best-selling car models in Australia in the year 2022. Credit: FCAI.

1. Toyota
  2. Mazda
  3. Kia
  4. Mitsubishi
  5. Hyundai
  6. Ford
  7. MG
  8. Subaru
  9. Isuzu
  10. Volkswagen
SUVs and light commercial vehicles made up the majority of sales across all car brands, accounting for over 76.8 per cent, with passenger vehicle sales of 203,056 units making up 18.8 per cent, SUVs with 574,632 sales making up 53.1 per cent and light commercial vehicles with 256,382 unit sales making up 23.7 per cent.

As for the kind of cars sold, petrol-powered vehicle sales far exceeded all other types, with 551,556 units being sold (51 per cent) ahead of diesel (33.4 per cent), hybrid (7.6 per cent), electric (3.1 per cent), and finally plug-in hybrid (0.5 per cent).

View attachment 11280
Petrol-powered vehicle sales far exceeded all other types of cars sold in 2022. Credit: FCAI.

FCAI chief executive, Tony Weber, spoke on the success of sales throughout 2022 and said while the car industry had been challenged by the pandemic recovery, microprocessor shortage and supply bottlenecks, it had been resilient and recovered well.

'While 2022 has been a year of resilience and recovery, 2023 is shaping up as one of the most significant in recent history, particularly in terms of the development of policies that set the direction for the future decarbonisation of the light vehicle fleet,' he said.

'As the peak representative body for vehicle distributors, FCAI has advocated for a fuel efficiency standard for many years,' Weber went on to say.

'We are optimistic that the Federal Government will take action in 2023 and introduce a standard that achieves the policy outcomes that lead to emission reductions while enabling Australians to drive the vehicles that they need and want.'
Key Takeaways

• Despite post-pandemic supply chain challenges and delivery delays, Australians purchased a total of 1,081,429 cars in 2022.
  • Toyota remained the top-selling car brand in Australia for the seventh year in a row, with 21.4 per cent of cars sold. The Toyota Hi-Lux was the most popular car sold.
  • SUVs and light commercial cars were also hotly in demand in 2022, with the Ford Ranger and Toyota Rav 4 being in the top five most popular car models.
You can't deny the strength of Toyota's presence in the Australian car market – they've proven to be reliable, enjoyable, and useful across multiple models and generations of vehicles.

Also, it helps that they are always prioritising innovation, continuously coming up with new car technologies and designs to keep up with today's demanding lifestyle.

If you're looking for a car that lasts and with plenty of options to choose from, then it's hard to go past a Toyota - the sales figures speak for themselves.

What are your thoughts on this? Were you surprised that the Hi-Lux retained its place at the top of the list? If you're planning to purchase a new car in the next 12 months, let us know what you've got your eye on!

View attachment 11278

View attachment 11279

1. Toyota
  2. Mazda
  3. Kia
  4. Mitsubishi
  5. Hyundai
  6. Ford
  7. MG
  8. Subaru
  9. Isuzu
  10. Volkswagen

View attachment 11280

Key Takeaways

Too BIG. Monster trucks in urban areas which are becoming more densely populated.

Reactions: Ricci
Hi Lux is not a Monster truck, the ridiculous looking RAM, GMC that's them.
Toyota great cars, I think the only car still built in Japan, I drive a 30 year old Toyota, my husband does the service on it it has not been to a mechanic in 25 years, still only uses 6 litres per 100 ks. I wouldn't buy anything else.

Toyota great cars, I think the only car still built in Japan, I drive a 30 year old Toyota, my husband does the service on it it has not been to a mechanic in 25 years, still only uses 6 litres per 100 ks. I wouldn't buy anything else.
Thats ok then.
I have an aversion to those ridiculous huge things.

I'm thinking of changing my car, either at the end of the year or the beginning of next. Just starting out on my research, am thinking I might go electric as I think that in a couple of years' time it's going to be all you can buy. Whatever I choose will have to see me out as I've only got enough cash to do it once. I don't need a huge car as it's only ever going to carry one or two people but I do want something high up as my back won't let me bend to get in and out of a small one. Choices, choices... :)

Reactions: Ezzy
UNBREAKABLE .... oh what a feeling! (PS: Subaru are still made in Japan)

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci

View attachment 11278

View attachment 11279

1. Toyota
  2. Mazda
  3. Kia
  4. Mitsubishi
  5. Hyundai
  6. Ford
  7. MG
  8. Subaru
  9. Isuzu
  10. Volkswagen

View attachment 11280

Key Takeaways

Would the Hi-Lux be the number one if you didn't consider fleet sales?

My Subaru is made in Japan.
Lots of Toyota's aren't made in Japan anymore. Some are though.
My son's Toyota GR Yaris is made in Japan.

I'm thinking of changing my car, either at the end of the year or the beginning of next. Just starting out on my research, am thinking I might go electric as I think that in a couple of years' time it's going to be all you can buy. Whatever I choose will have to see me out as I've only got enough cash to do it once. I don't need a huge car as it's only ever going to carry one or two people but I do want something high up as my back won't let me bend to get in and out of a small one. Choices, choices... :)
Nice! So many cars to pick from these days. With your budget, select the cars you like & go shopping for a test drive. Without a test drive, you can't tell.
eg. my Subaru wasn't my 1st choice, but that test drive sold it! Absolutely love it since the day it was driven out of that dealership.

I wonder where our Nissan X-Trail stands. Limited Edition. It's the best car we have ever owned. We have bought all our vehicles brand new.

View attachment 11278

View attachment 11279

1. Toyota
  2. Mazda
  3. Kia
  4. Mitsubishi
  5. Hyundai
  6. Ford
  7. MG
  8. Subaru
  9. Isuzu
  10. Volkswagen

View attachment 11280

Key Takeaways

The place where people are getting the money from even base model goes for $54.000.00

Do your research, internal combustion engine cars will be manufactured for another dozen years or more. If you go electric consider if you have solar panels and are willing to pay for the charger plus installation. A mid size SUV is probably ideal for getting in and out of, not too high or too low.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci