This Aussie mum turned a weekend chore into an extra $60k a year!

Many of us are looking for ways to stretch our dollars further and this savvy mum found a solution hiding in her closet!

Victorian mum Johanna was cleaning when she was confronted with a wardrobe filled with multiple designer gowns she had worn only a handful of times.

SDC Images (6).png
One mum was cleaning out her wardrobe when she thought of an idea for her barely worn and expensive purchases. Image source: freepic.diller on Freepik.

She had floor-length gowns she wore once at a friend’s wedding, a brightly-coloured one for Fashions on the Field at local races, and another she had saved for a fancy event—everything was worn just once, in mint condition, and with very expensive price tags.

She thought of renting them out for a small fee, to earn an extra bit of cash and to keep her from getting rid of the dresses.

In just 18 months, Johanna’s small gown rental business has flourished, and is set to make her a whopping $60,000 this financial year!

She also acknowledged the impact fashion makes on the environment.

'I used to work in the agriculture business, and I know how much water goes into making clothes,' Johanna explained.

Nearly 3000 litres of water is reportedly used to create a single cotton t-shirt—enough drinking water for 900 days for one person.

She also recalled being hit hard by drought living in Bendigo, Melbourne.

'Those two-minute showers!' she remembered.

This encouraged her to list her clothes on The Volte, a designer dress rental website, to keep her dresses out of landfill.

One dress she rented out on the website for $140 was a $500 last-season item by Australian designer Aje.

Johanna barely had to lift any fingers to advertise the item, she easily used stock images available on the Aje website and quickly earned her money back and then some.

She immediately realised the popularity of renting dresses and quickly decided to buy a few more sizes of her Aje dress.

After investing a total of $1500, she added more size options to her listing and immediately received more rental requests.

She made well over $4000 over that single listing, and the demand for her other ten luxe outfits skyrocketed.

Johanna soon decided to set up her own rental company on social media and paid $140 to advertise her small boutique in Bendigo.

'I don’t even know if that $140 did anything, I think it was more word of mouth,' she said.

'I know nothing about this world. Honestly, I’m just winging it.'

She increased her stock from 10 dresses, in sizes 10 and 12, to more than 200, with a size range from six to 16.

Those interested in renting out her clothes can do it online and receive them in the mail, while those living nearby can go and try the gown in-store before renting it.

Johanna has the dresses professionally cleaned by a local dry cleaner upon return.

'I was actually in the cleaners the other day and they said to me, “Did you know you have paid for my staff member’s wage?”,' she shared.

The mum also shared her joy in helping other women feel good about themselves.

'I love helping mums who are 10 months postpartum and don’t know how to dress their body after the change of having a baby,' she said.

'Or women in their 60s [dressing] up for a wedding or something, or teenagers pick something for their formal.'

Johanna is also keen on giving back—once a garment has had multiple hires, she donates it to Formally Ever After, an organisation that helps financially burdened teens dress for their end-of-school formals.
Key Takeaways
  • A Victorian mum turned a weekend chore of cleaning out her wardrobe into a successful small business, with an expected earning of $60,000 this financial year.
  • Johanna started by renting her barely used, expensive gowns on The Volte, a designer-dress hire website, and quickly made her investment back.
  • Johanna used the success and demand to start her own rental company. She now stocks more than 200 dresses ranging from sizes six to 16.
  • After a number of hires, Johanna donates the dresses to Formally Ever After, an organisation that helps financially burdened teenagers during their end-of-school formals.
What do you think about Johanna’s business idea? Would you ever consider renting out your clothes? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored