This Aussie mum feeds her family for just $1.60 per meal!

Given the increasing cost of living, we constantly seek ways to save money. This is particularly significant when it comes to meal planning and cooking affordable meals.

If you share this mindset, we have an extraordinary story to share from Melbourne mum Brooke Schrempf-Dixon, who appears to have excelled in this culinary balancing act.

With a family of six to feed, Schrempf-Dixon creates meals that not just satisfy appetites and nutritional charts but also keep a firm hold on the purse strings.

She has successfully reduced her family's meal cost to an impressive $1.60 per serving. Yes, you read that right!

compressed-1e4277813f7c6f33330e0ff427fbd8de3e0d6753.jpeg
Brooke Schrempf-Dixon has effectively managed to reduce her grocery expenses by employing meal-planning techniques and preparing meals that cost $10 or less. Source: TikTok/@aussiemumcooks

The 31-year-old admitted that she used to be a chronic overspender when it came to groceries, frequently shelling out between $300 and $400 on a single grocery run.

'I was a chronic overspender and would go in unprepared when shopping, ending up with large amounts of food and having no idea what to make every week.' Schrempf-Dixon confessed.

However, she has turned the tables by slashing her shopping bill significantly, saving her family over $10,000 a year on food.

Now, she has transitioned from the often dull 'tuna pasta' kind of budget meals to creating delightful and varied meals.

The key, she says, lies in diligent meal planning, which costs her just around $60 for a week's worth of meals, roughly equating to $1.60 per serving.

Now let's get into some of those meals. Ever thought of whipping up a delicious curried sausage or a red Thai curry? Or how about a one-pan taco chicken and rice bake?

The prices of these dishes stack up surprisingly well against traditionally 'cheap' meals.

Schrempf-Dixon 'shops at home' first, taking an inventory of what she has on standby in her freezer, fridge or pantry.

‘I will write out a list of everything I have in my freezer, fridge, and pantry and build my weekly meals around this.’ she says.

She added, ‘This helps to keep my weekly shopping down.’

compressed-307e576640a4b444a2d0184ffd049bd83d2683e9.jpeg
The mum’s shopping trip resulted in a total purchase of $60. Source: TikTok/@aussiemumcooks

Based on this, she plans her meals, ensuring she only sources necessary additional ingredients.

‘Avoiding recipes that exceed three to four additional ingredients than the staples I have at home helps keep the cost down dramatically.’

Schrempf-Dixon likes to give her online shopping basket a thorough scan for weekly specials, half-price sales or markdowns.

'Shopping online helps to reduce overspending and only buying what I need.' she shared.

When she is looking for new affordable recipes, social media platforms such as Facebook come in handy.

She finds various channels on these platforms offering a plethora of budget-friendly recipes.

Health is another area she doesn't compromise on. Despite running on a tight budget, she ensures her family gets a balanced diet, incorporating vegetables into every meal.

As with everyone else, the escalating cost of living is a concern for Brooke. The fluctuating prices of groceries throw a spanner in the works at times. However, she relentlessly innovates and strategically plans to make every dollar count.

She said, ‘I am finding the costs changing so frequently, and it does mean what was one price two weeks ago will change in another week, shifting my original budget.’

‘That’s when I find looking at catalogues online or seeing what’s on sale helps to keep the costs down.’

Inspired to help others, she shared her journey and cooking tips on social media. She now has a strong following of over 380,000 people who draw inspiration from her content regularly.

'My followers tell me it has helped them through until payday when they only have $10 to $20 left and have to feed their families.'

How wonderful is that? Helping others while remaining within your financial means—we're all for that at SDC!

See Brooke’s video here:

Key Takeaways
  • Melbourne mum Brooke Schrempf-Dixon has shared her budgeting secrets, saving her family over $10,000 a year on food by prepping meals for just $1.60 per serving.
  • Brooke 'shops at home' before heading to the supermarket, making a list of everything in her freezer, fridge, and pantry, and then planning her weekly meals around this.
  • She shops online to keep track of weekly specials and to reduce overspending and also uses social media to find budget-friendly recipes.
  • Brooke built a large following on social media, where she shares her homemade cooking and meal planning advice, helping others discover new budget-friendly recipes and meal planning strategies.

To help you get started on your money-saving journey, we recommend visiting our forum dedicated to deals, discounts, and bargains. There, you will discover a wide array of valuable finds, ensuring you have access to numerous opportunities to save money.

If Brooke’s has ignited a spark to revisit your grocery spending, we say go for it! Reach out and grab that recipe book and make each meal a celebration.

Are you inspired by her budgeting and meal-planning strategies? Do you think you would be able to implement similar strategies to save money on your own grocery bills?

Sponsored
Given the increasing cost of living, we constantly seek ways to save money. This is particularly significant when it comes to meal planning and cooking affordable meals.

If you share this mindset, we have an extraordinary story to share from Melbourne mum Brooke Schrempf-Dixon, who appears to have excelled in this culinary balancing act.

With a family of six to feed, Schrempf-Dixon creates meals that not just satisfy appetites and nutritional charts but also keep a firm hold on the purse strings.

She has successfully reduced her family's meal cost to an impressive $1.60 per serving. Yes, you read that right!

View attachment 23916
Brooke Schrempf-Dixon has effectively managed to reduce her grocery expenses by employing meal-planning techniques and preparing meals that cost $10 or less. Source: TikTok/@aussiemumcooks

The 31-year-old admitted that she used to be a chronic overspender when it came to groceries, frequently shelling out between $300 and $400 on a single grocery run.

'I was a chronic overspender and would go in unprepared when shopping, ending up with large amounts of food and having no idea what to make every week.' Schrempf-Dixon confessed.

However, she has turned the tables by slashing her shopping bill significantly, saving her family over $10,000 a year on food.

Now, she has transitioned from the often dull 'tuna pasta' kind of budget meals to creating delightful and varied meals.

The key, she says, lies in diligent meal planning, which costs her just around $60 for a week's worth of meals, roughly equating to $1.60 per serving.

Now let's get into some of those meals. Ever thought of whipping up a delicious curried sausage or a red Thai curry? Or how about a one-pan taco chicken and rice bake?

The prices of these dishes stack up surprisingly well against traditionally 'cheap' meals.

Schrempf-Dixon 'shops at home' first, taking an inventory of what she has on standby in her freezer, fridge or pantry.

‘I will write out a list of everything I have in my freezer, fridge, and pantry and build my weekly meals around this.’ she says.

She added, ‘This helps to keep my weekly shopping down.’

View attachment 23917
The mum’s shopping trip resulted in a total purchase of $60. Source: TikTok/@aussiemumcooks

Based on this, she plans her meals, ensuring she only sources necessary additional ingredients.

‘Avoiding recipes that exceed three to four additional ingredients than the staples I have at home helps keep the cost down dramatically.’

Schrempf-Dixon likes to give her online shopping basket a thorough scan for weekly specials, half-price sales or markdowns.

'Shopping online helps to reduce overspending and only buying what I need.' she shared.

When she is looking for new affordable recipes, social media platforms such as Facebook come in handy.

She finds various channels on these platforms offering a plethora of budget-friendly recipes.

Health is another area she doesn't compromise on. Despite running on a tight budget, she ensures her family gets a balanced diet, incorporating vegetables into every meal.

As with everyone else, the escalating cost of living is a concern for Brooke. The fluctuating prices of groceries throw a spanner in the works at times. However, she relentlessly innovates and strategically plans to make every dollar count.

She said, ‘I am finding the costs changing so frequently, and it does mean what was one price two weeks ago will change in another week, shifting my original budget.’

‘That’s when I find looking at catalogues online or seeing what’s on sale helps to keep the costs down.’

Inspired to help others, she shared her journey and cooking tips on social media. She now has a strong following of over 380,000 people who draw inspiration from her content regularly.

'My followers tell me it has helped them through until payday when they only have $10 to $20 left and have to feed their families.'

How wonderful is that? Helping others while remaining within your financial means—we're all for that at SDC!

See Brooke’s video here:

Key Takeaways

• Melbourne mum Brooke Schrempf-Dixon has shared her budgeting secrets, saving her family over $10,000 a year on food by prepping meals for just $1.60 per serving.
  • Brooke 'shops at home' before heading to the supermarket, making a list of everything in her freezer, fridge, and pantry, and then planning her weekly meals around this.
  • She shops online to keep track of weekly specials and to reduce overspending and also uses social media to find budget-friendly recipes.
  • Brooke built a large following on social media, where she shares her homemade cooking and meal planning advice, helping others discover new budget-friendly recipes and meal planning strategies.

To help you get started on your money-saving journey, we recommend visiting our forum dedicated to deals, discounts, and bargains. There, you will discover a wide array of valuable finds, ensuring you have access to numerous opportunities to save money.

If Brooke’s has ignited a spark to revisit your grocery spending, we say go for it! Reach out and grab that recipe book and make each meal a celebration.

Are you inspired by her budgeting and meal-planning strategies? Do you think you would be able to implement similar strategies to save money on your own grocery bills?

Although there's only the two of us now, it can still get costly if I don't plan meals. It's difficult finding the energy to do it week after week. My hat goes off to her .

"Ever thought of whipping up a delicious curried sausage...."
Turn it up! What do you think we lived on back in the 60s in our single-income Struggletown fibro&tile?
You can try until the cows come home; there's no way you'll convince me it's 'delicious'.

Reactions: Milica
I agree 100% with Brooke this is the way to go My beloved grandson was cooking for us over the last few months and I found not being able to plan the ingredients with the shopping was difficult for me I am needing to now make a list of what I actually have in my stocks to plan future meals without overbuying

Would not work for me is that I don't eat many of the things on her list. I would end up eating bread & jam sandwiches. Jaz will eat almost everything but me, well I haven't ever developed a universal pallet so don't eat what I don't enjoy or know I would like the taste of.

Would not work for me is that I don't eat many of the things on her list. I would end up eating bread & jam sandwiches. Jaz will eat almost everything but me, well I haven't ever developed a universal pallet so don't eat what I don't enjoy or know I would like the taste of.

"Ever thought of whipping up a delicious curried sausage...."
Turn it up! What do you think we lived on back in the 60s in our single-income Struggletown fibro&tile?
You can try until the cows come home; there's no way you'll convince me it's 'delicious'.
Neither delicious nor healthy.

Reactions: Nana Zorak
When my mother obtained a recipe for Lentin Fritters (other name, Corn Fritters), we practically lived on them. Dinner every Sunday evening. 🥱

Reactions: Nana Zorak