This ‘genius’ $5 cake hack will save you time in the kitchen

Any home cook or baker will know, cooking up a delicious treat can take a lot of time, energy, and effort.

And while we can appreciate the finished product, there are days when we just don't feel like spending copious amounts of time (or energy!) in the kitchen.

So, If you don't have enough time in the kitchen to bake a cake from scratch, we've got just the trick!

This genius cake hack was recently shared by MasterChef UK winner, cookbook author and mum, Shelina Permalloo, who goes by @shelinacooks on TikTok. She shared the easy trick with her 71,000 followers and the video has since earned nearly half a million views!

‘Sometimes you just have to fake it! I’ve realised I put so much pressure on myself to make everything from scratch but you don’t have to do it to yourself all the time!’ She captioned.

cake1.jpg
Can you guess what these are? Credit: Shelinacooks/TikTok

The best part? This hack costs only $5 to make and takes less than an hour to prepare!

‘This is the perfect cake to make when you literally have no time to bake something from scratch,’ the chef stated at the beginning of the clip.

She added that this hack is her ‘faking it to get by’ before unwrapping her secret ingredient: jam sponge rolls.

The chef then cut three rolls into even slices and assembled the pieces on a cake stand to resemble the shape of a cake.

For the frosting, Ms Permalloo mixed 300ml double cream, 50g icing sugar, and a splash of vanilla essence in a bowl. The chef reminded her viewers to whisk the ingredients up until they get ‘lovely thick peaks of cream’.

cake2.jpg
Would you try this hack? Credit: Woolworths

Once that was done, she frosted the ‘cake’ using a palette knife. ‘All you’re going to do is top it like with any other cake…just try and make it look as beautiful as possible,’ she said.

The chef then reminded her viewers that the frosting doesn’t have to be perfect, but added that she pops the cake in the fridge to let the frosting ‘set completely’ before adding any toppings.

Then, she placed sliced strawberries and hundreds and thousands on top and around the cake. When Ms Permalloo cut into the cake, the final product revealed a beautiful cross-section that resulted from the layers of sponge rolls. True enough, the cake looked like it was baked from scratch!

‘This was for a party that my daughter had and I just felt really bad not making a cake. So, I made this,’ she explained.

cake3.jpg
Looks delicious and it’s easy to make, what’s not to love? Credit: Shelinacooks/TikTok

‘It looks really gorgeous when you cut into it. It’s such a good cheat, I hope you love this,’ the chef shared as she ended the video.

If you’re keen on trying this hack, a six-pack of mini jam sponge rolls costs $2.70 in Coles and Woolworths (as of the publication of this article).

Alternatively, you can also buy the 400g pack of jam sponge rolls for the same price in both supermarkets.

Many of her viewers loved the hack, and said that Ms Permalloo should be ‘proud of herself’.

‘Nobody’s going to know,’ one shared.

‘I’ve got to make this,’ another wrote.

Others said they’re keen on trying out the hack because it looked good and delicious. One even suggested making a giant wedding cake using this cake trick.

You can find the entire video below:

If you want another show-stopping cake centrepiece the next time you need to host a get-together, this cake hack is here to help you out too! You only need two Chocolate Birthday Drip Cakes from Woolies and stacking them on top of one another.

Curious to see how it’s made? You can find more details in our previous article here.

Key Takeaways

• Cookbook author and mum @shelinacooks has shared a ‘genius’ $5 cake hack that takes less than an hour to prepare.
  • The deceptively easy trick involves slicing Swiss rolls and frosting the cake with double cream, icing sugar and a splash of vanilla essence.
  • The hack has gone viral, with almost half a million views since the clip was posted.
  • The recipe is simple: three packets of jam rolls, one 300ml double cream, 50g icing sugar and vanilla to taste.
Members, do you also have go-to recipes or hacks when it comes to baking and cooking? Share them with us in the comments below! We’d love to know! If you need more cooking ideas and advice, browse through our forum here.

Sponsored