Think Bali holidays are a dream? This Aussie woman's nightmare experience will shock you!

When we think of Bali, we often picture a tropical paradise with sun-kissed beaches, serene rice paddies, and a vibrant culture that promises relaxation and adventure in equal measure. It's a dream destination for many Australians, offering a chance to escape the daily grind and soak up the island's natural beauty. However, for one Aussie radio host, her recent trip to Bali turned into a nightmare that she likens to being 'worse than childbirth.'

Jodie Oddy, the familiar voice of Nova 919’s breakfast show in Adelaide alongside Andrew Hayes, returned from her idyllic Bali holiday with a brutal souvenir: a severe case of shingles. Shingles, for those unfamiliar, is a painful rash caused by the varicella-zoster virus, the same virus responsible for chickenpox. It's a condition that can lie dormant in the body for years and reemerge when the immune system is weakened.

The shock of her condition was made evident through a photo she bravely shared on her Instagram page, revealing an inflamed neck, upper chest, and shoulder covered in blisters. The pain, she described, was 'worse than childbirth.' The stark contrast between her suffering and the idyllic images of her lounging in a Balinese pool couldn't be more pronounced. 'Insta V reality,' she captioned the post, followed by 'Shingles for the win.'

1727236398778.png
Aussie radio host Jodie Oddy suffered horrendous' shingles after her return from a Bali holiday. Credit: @jodieoddy15 / Instagram

Upon her return, Oddy didn't waste any time seeking medical attention. She told The Adelaide Advertiser that she went 'straight to the hospital' after disembarking the plane. The diagnosis was clear: it was definitely shingles.

Her ordeal struck a chord with many, as fans and followers shared their sympathies and their own harrowing experiences with shingles online. The stories ranged from shingles in the eye, hairline, and face to painful outbreaks during teenage years. One commenter even urged Oddy to get the shingles jab, to which she replied, 'Is it too late? I don’t ever want this again!'

The timing of Oddy's experience coincides with a significant announcement from the Albanese government. In a move that will bring relief to many, free shingles vaccinations will now be available for over 200,000 immunocompromised Aussies between the ages of 18 and 65. This is in addition to the existing free vaccinations for individuals 65 and older, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders aged 50 and older, and high-risk adults with certain medical conditions.

Health Minister Mark Butler emphasised the importance of the vaccine, stating, 'Without vaccination, almost 1 in 3 Australians will get shingles in their lifetime.' He also highlighted that over 1.3 million Australians have already received a free shingles vaccine since the government's Shingles Program began in November. The cost of the vaccine, which can reach up to $560, is now covered under the National Immunisation Program (NIP), ensuring that more at-risk Australians are protected from this debilitating virus.

Jodie Oddy's painful return from Bali serves as a stark reminder that while holidays can be a source of joy and relaxation, they can also expose us to health risks we might not anticipate. It's a cautionary tale that underscores the importance of being aware of our health when travelling and the benefits of preventative measures like vaccinations.
Key Takeaways
  • Aussie radio host Jodie Oddy suffered from 'horrendous' shingles after returning from a Bali holiday.
  • She described the pain of shingles as 'worse than childbirth,' highlighting the severity of the condition.
  • The Australian government has expanded access to free shingles vaccinations for immunocompromised people aged 18 to 65.
  • Health Minister Mark Butler emphasised the importance of vaccination, stating nearly one in three Australians could get shingles in their lifetime.
So, dear readers, let's take this story as a reminder to prioritise our health, even when we're planning for that much-needed getaway. And if you've had a similar experience or have thoughts on the importance of vaccinations, we invite you to share your stories in the comments below. Your insights could be invaluable to fellow members of the Seniors Discount Club who are planning their next adventure.

Sponsored
I have had shingles twice, and yes I have had the shingles vaccination. My last bout is still annoying me, but worse than child birth,I don't think so, a totally different pain you learn to live with. The only solution is Lyrica andif I take that I cannot drive safely. Living 40ks from decent shops with no public transport means driving is essential. You learn to live with pain. There is always someone worse off.

Why so many people want to go to Bali is beyond me, it seems every 2 out of 3 visitors who go to Bali end up sick or being robbed.
I went to Bali 6 weeks ago, loved it, people are lovely traffic was a bit much but had a great time and would definitely go again. We were told not to drink tap water, food was amazing, never felt unwell at all.

People over a certain age are entitled to free shingles vaccination from your GP.
You can get shingles without coming into anybody who has it if you have had Chicken Pox previously. The virus stays in your body dormant and can flare up again at a later date. It affects the nerve endings too so you can have pain from it for at least a few months after the rash has disappeared. If you go to a GP as soon as you discover it you can have treatment which reduces the severity of it.

Reactions: Iggydi and gamiry
I went to Bali 6 weeks ago, loved it, people are lovely traffic was a bit much but had a great time and would definitely go again. We were told not to drink tap water, food was amazing, never felt unwell at all.
My son got married in Bali and believe me I didn’t want to go. The first night we were there I hated it! We had a horrible room in the hotel which overlooked the street instead of the garden room we had booked. I actually ended up in tears as I really didn’t want to be there. The next day everything changed. We got moved to our much nicer and quiet room and we went out and met the locals and had a look round and I thought this is quite nice. By the next day I was in love with Bali. I’ve never been back but I would say to anyone - definitely give it a go

Reactions: Iggydi