Things you're probably doing wrong before every flight according to a flight attendant

Travelling by plane can be quite stressful, especially when you’re faced with last-minute delays, which seem to be all too common these days.

But did you know that there are things passengers can do to make the process a little smoother?

Social media influencer and flight attendant, Cierra Mistt, has gone through the list of things that passengers do wrong before boarding a plane, based on the ‘secrets’ she’s learned from years of travelling.

‘Here are some secrets I’ve learned from being a flight attendant that I will now forever use whenever I’m travelling,’ she said in the video.

flight1.jpg
Cierra is an active flight attendant who shares travel-related content on social media. Credit: cierra_mistt/Instagram

Sharing her advice with her 3.2 million followers on TikTok, she claimed that her first tip was ‘going to make a big difference’ if ever a passenger encounters delays – a common occurrence these days.

‘Number one, I’ll always make sure that I have my own snacks and water whenever I get on a plane,’ she said.

The flight attendant explained: ‘You never know when you’re going to have a huge delay where flight attendants are instructed to not hand out snacks or drinks until a certain amount of time has passed.’

‘On some flights, especially the shorter ones, it’s at the flight attendants’ discretion if they want to provide a service or not,’ Ms Mistt added.

According to her, there’s not enough time to get everything prepared to serve passengers during short flights anyway.

flight2.jpg
On short flights, it’s up to the flight attendants if they want to provide a service or not. Credit: cierra_mistt/TikTok

Another major mistake many people make before boarding a plane is not using the bathroom.

She said: ‘Always go to the bathroom before boarding or at least wait until we’re up in the air before you get out of your seat to go.’

Ms Mistt pointed out a couple of reasons why this was important.

‘Flight attendants are doing a hundred thousand other things while everyone else is boarding. So, you don’t really want to get in the way of passengers finding their seats and the flight attendants and what they’re supposed to be doing.’

flight3.jpg
Flight attendants have to assist passengers to get to their correct seats. Credit: cierra_mistt/TikTok

She added that once every passenger has boarded the plane, it’s the flight attendant’s responsibility to do the passenger count and make sure everyone is in their seats.

Lastly, Ms Mistt pleaded with everyone to keep their shoes on during the flight. With the amount of passenger horror stories we’ve read and written about, we can’t help but agree with Ms Mistt on her last point.

You can watch her video below:

In another video, Ms Mistt shared more ‘secrets’ that passengers should know about while travelling via plane.

‘Here are some things passengers should know that flight attendants and pilots don’t talk about,’ she said in the clip.

flight5.jpg
The flight attendant gave more travel tips in another video. Credit: cierra_mistt/TikTok

‘Number one, when you go to the bathroom on a plane, don’t use the toilet paper. Instead, use the paper towel,’ she pointed out.

According to Ms Mistt, the paper towels are of higher quality, and won’t rip or dissolve while you’re using it unlike with toilet paper.

Ms Mistt's next tip was to wear shoes when going to the lavatory. She cited instances where people would go and do their business barefoot, and said that this was highly unsanitary.

‘I can promise you the liquid on the floor is not water and you do not want to be stepping on it,’ she said before adding that bathrooms in planes never get cleaned while flying.

flight4.jpg
According to the flight attendant, aeroplane bathrooms never get cleaned. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

Adding to her previous tip, Ms Mistt shared that planes never get a ‘deep clean’. ‘While it’s true that cleaners do come on most flights after passengers are done getting off the plane, they don’t do a deep clean,’ she explained.

‘In fact, they only did that during COVID, and the only things that they really deep cleaned were the tray tables and seat belts.’

This is why when a flight attendant offers you a wet wipe as you board the plane, you should take it.

‘If I were you, instead of wiping down that tray table and seat belt they just cleaned, I would use that wipe to clean up the window you’re sitting next to, because just like the bathroom floor, those things have never been cleaned,’ she admitted.
Key Takeaways
  • Flight attendant Cierra Mistt has shared some of the big mistakes passengers make before boarding a plane.
  • She suggested always having your own snacks and water and using the bathroom before boarding the plane.
  • Mistt also noted that on some flights, especially the shorter ones, it's at the flight attendant's discretion if they want to provide a service or not.
  • Passengers are also advised to wait until the flight attendant has finished the passenger count before getting out of their seats to go to the bathroom.
What do you think about these tips, members? Share your thoughts in the comments!

Sponsored
I avoid using toilets on planes and can "hold it" for even long flights after using the toilet prior to boarding. I also keep my shoes on. I have to admit that I haven't packed my own snacks, however, with snacks/food getting so scarce with most airlines, it is something I will be doing in future. I also intend to take my own plastic cutlery onto flights within and into Australia, I find those wooden things absolutely horrible.

Reactions: Ricci and Marj53
I suppose no different to bus coaches travelling interstate or around Australia. These days, I think everyone needs to look after themselves with hygiene factors.

Reactions: Ricci
Travelling by plane can be quite stressful, especially when you’re faced with last-minute delays, which seem to be all too common these days.

But did you know that there are things passengers can do to make the process a little smoother?

Social media influencer and flight attendant, Cierra Mistt, has gone through the list of things that passengers do wrong before boarding a plane, based on the ‘secrets’ she’s learned from years of travelling.

‘Here are some secrets I’ve learned from being a flight attendant that I will now forever use whenever I’m travelling,’ she said in the video.

View attachment 14052
Cierra is an active flight attendant who shares travel-related content on social media. Credit: cierra_mistt/Instagram

Sharing her advice with her 3.2 million followers on TikTok, she claimed that her first tip was ‘going to make a big difference’ if ever a passenger encounters delays – a common occurrence these days.

‘Number one, I’ll always make sure that I have my own snacks and water whenever I get on a plane,’ she said.

The flight attendant explained: ‘You never know when you’re going to have a huge delay where flight attendants are instructed to not hand out snacks or drinks until a certain amount of time has passed.’

‘On some flights, especially the shorter ones, it’s at the flight attendants’ discretion if they want to provide a service or not,’ Ms Mistt added.

According to her, there’s not enough time to get everything prepared to serve passengers during short flights anyway.

View attachment 14053
On short flights, it’s up to the flight attendants if they want to provide a service or not. Credit: cierra_mistt/TikTok

Another major mistake many people make before boarding a plane is not using the bathroom.

She said: ‘Always go to the bathroom before boarding or at least wait until we’re up in the air before you get out of your seat to go.’

Ms Mistt pointed out a couple of reasons why this was important.

‘Flight attendants are doing a hundred thousand other things while everyone else is boarding. So, you don’t really want to get in the way of passengers finding their seats and the flight attendants and what they’re supposed to be doing.’

View attachment 14054
Flight attendants have to assist passengers to get to their correct seats. Credit: cierra_mistt/TikTok

She added that once every passenger has boarded the plane, it’s the flight attendant’s responsibility to do the passenger count and make sure everyone is in their seats.

Lastly, Ms Mistt pleaded with everyone to keep their shoes on during the flight. With the amount of passenger horror stories we’ve read and written about, we can’t help but agree with Ms Mistt on her last point.

You can watch her video below:

In another video, Ms Mistt shared more ‘secrets’ that passengers should know about while travelling via plane.

‘Here are some things passengers should know that flight attendants and pilots don’t talk about,’ she said in the clip.

View attachment 14056
The flight attendant gave more travel tips in another video. Credit: cierra_mistt/TikTok

‘Number one, when you go to the bathroom on a plane, don’t use the toilet paper. Instead, use the paper towel,’ she pointed out.

According to Ms Mistt, the paper towels are of higher quality, and won’t rip or dissolve while you’re using it unlike with toilet paper.

Ms Mistt's next tip was to wear shoes when going to the lavatory. She cited instances where people would go and do their business barefoot, and said that this was highly unsanitary.

‘I can promise you the liquid on the floor is not water and you do not want to be stepping on it,’ she said before adding that bathrooms in planes never get cleaned while flying.

View attachment 14055
According to the flight attendant, aeroplane bathrooms never get cleaned. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

Adding to her previous tip, Ms Mistt shared that planes never get a ‘deep clean’. ‘While it’s true that cleaners do come on most flights after passengers are done getting off the plane, they don’t do a deep clean,’ she explained.

‘In fact, they only did that during COVID, and the only things that they really deep cleaned were the tray tables and seat belts.’

This is why when a flight attendant offers you a wet wipe as you board the plane, you should take it.

‘If I were you, instead of wiping down that tray table and seat belt they just cleaned, I would use that wipe to clean up the window you’re sitting next to, because just like the bathroom floor, those things have never been cleaned,’ she admitted.
Key Takeaways

• Flight attendant Cierra Mistt has shared some of the big mistakes passengers make before boarding a plane.
  • She suggested always having your own snacks and water and using the bathroom before boarding the plane.
  • Mistt also noted that on some flights, especially the shorter ones, it's at the flight attendant's discretion if they want to provide a service or not.
  • Passengers are also advised to wait until the flight attendant has finished the passenger count before getting out of their seats to go to the bathroom.
What do you think about these tips, members? Share your thoughts in the comments!

I avoid using toilets on planes and can "hold it" for even long flights after using the toilet prior to boarding. I also keep my shoes on. I have to admit that I haven't packed my own snacks, however, with snacks/food getting so scarce with most airlines, it is something I will be doing in future. I also intend to take my own plastic cutlery onto flights within and into Australia, I find those wooden things absolutely horrible.
Trudi - Those ‘wooden things’ you mention are there to replace the plastic things that are NOT environmentally friendly. So try and use the wooden things (& I agree they are not the tastiest cutlery to go into your mouth) as they will help in a tiny way and add to help save our planet. I don’t know your age but it could be you suffering in future from all the pollution we are contributing to now.

Last edited: