'They are so yuk now': ALDI shoppers share disappointment over changes on $4.99 food item

Supermarket shopping often brings surprises—especially if shoppers find an item that will eventually become a favourite.

However, not all shopping surprises are pleasant.

In a recent turn of events, ALDI customers were left with a sour taste in their mouths, and it's not from the zesty lemon tart they're known for.

The Elmsbury Angus Beef Potato Pies, a savoury delight that once had ALDI shoppers flocking to the freezer section, recently became the centre of a heated debate.

For $4.99, these pies were a quick, tasty meal that didn't break the bank.

The pies' recent decline in quality was so significant that it sparked an outcry among the supermarket's regulars.

One customer took to social media and expressed her dismay.

compressed-pies.jpeg
The Elmsbury Angus Beef Potato Pies were a freezer staple for many ALDI shoppers. Image Credit: Facebook

'These were the best pies on the market; for some reason, they took something that wasn't broken and destroyed it,' she wrote.

'The mince used to be beautiful and non-gristly; now dry and full of gristle. The top used to have lovely peaks of real potatoes, and the bottom had a silver pie tray, now no tray, and the potato is flat and fake spud.'

'Sadly, I will not be purchasing them anymore,' she concluded.

Her post quickly became a rallying point for others who shared the same sentiment.

'They are the only meat pie I actually loved, but I had one a few days ago and ended up with a heaped teaspoon full of gristle,' one shopper shared.

'These were the only pies I bought, and I'm really disappointed that they are so yuk now,' another shopper said.

'Everything about them has changed, and I won't rebuy them.'

'I've experienced this too this week; won't be too quick to open the second box,' a third commented.

Some shoppers speculated that the change was a cost-cutting measure.

Others suggested that the problem might lie with the manufacturer.

'They are made in the same factory as the King Island pies. I noticed how that brand has also gone "off" recently,' one shared.

ALDI issued a statement in response to the flood of complaints.

The supermarket giant assured customers that they strive to bring the best quality products to their stores.

'While there has been no change to the product formulation, we take customer feedback seriously and encourage customers to share any complaints or concerns with ALDI directly via our help centre so we can review them in detail,' an ALDI spokesperson stated.

'Any customers who are not satisfied with a product can return it to stores for a full refund or replacement.'

As we navigate supermarket aisles, remember that our voices as consumers have power.

If you've experienced a similar situation with a product, reach out to the retailer.

It's not just about getting your money back; it's about holding brands accountable for the quality of their products.
Key Takeaways

• ALDI customers expressed their dissatisfaction with the quality decline of the Elmsbury Angus Beef Potato Pies.
  • Shoppers voiced their complaints online and noted that the pies contained gristle and lacked the previous quality features.
  • Many stated they will no longer purchase the once-favoured pies after sharing their opinions and experiences online.
  • An ALDI spokesperson assured customers that product quality is paramount, with an option for a full refund or replacement if products are unsatisfactory.
Have you noticed any changes in your favourite supermarket products? How did you handle the disappointment? Share your stories with us in the comments section below.

Sponsored