These unsafe driving habits led to an increase in fines—are you guilty of these?

As the number of cars on the roads grows, so do the number of unsafe driving habits that endanger lives and could cost drivers tens of thousands of dollars in fines.

The Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts have issued a record-breaking 362,342 infringement notices in 2022 due to irresponsible drivers getting caught using their mobile phones behind the wheel.

An astounding 312,945 of these infringements were issued by cameras—a huge increase from the 178,296 record in 2021.

The infringements issued in 2022 also reportedly grew by 64 per cent compared to the record in 2021.

SDC 37.png
Mobile phone infringement notices were issued 362,342 times in 2022. Image source: Drazen Zigic on Freepik.

Police have been actively combating unsafe driving practices, such as speeding, using a mobile phone, or drinking and driving.

However, data has shown that the number of mobile phone infringement notices issued by police officers declined across the country every year between 2017 and 2021 despite the massive increase in the number of drivers.

Considering the overwhelming rise in mobile phone infringements issued by both police officers and cameras, records show that there has also been a constant upward trend in speeding infringements since 2010, the year with the lowest record.

Data on speeding infringements have been recorded and compiled since 2008.

However, there has been a slight drop in issued speeding infringements by both cameras and police in 2022. Speeding infringement notices were issued a total of 4,551,342 times in 2022 and 4,867,138 times in 2021.

The data also paints a worrying picture when it comes to drug-related infringements. A higher percentage of roadside drug tests conducted returned a positive result in 2022 compared to 2019, which was the biggest year on record in terms of tests conducted.

In 2022, 458,133 roadside tests were conducted, with 10.2 per cent of those returning a positive result.

However, in 2019, 507,315 tests were conducted, with 9.6 per cent of them yielding a positive result.

When it comes to drunk driving, more drivers than ever before are returning positive breath test results in 2022 compared with 2019.

A total of 10,639,333 breath tests were conducted last year, which yielded 0.6 per cent of positive results.

In 2019, a total of 15,248,047 tests were conducted, with 0.4 per cent of those being positive results.

As for seatbelt-related offences, cameras have issued 60 per cent of the total infringements. Records show that there has been a 191 per cent increase in issued infringements in 2022 compared to 2021.

There were also 101 reported road deaths in August 2023 alone—this is 6.8 per cent higher than the average for August over the previous five years.

Sadly, this brings the total road toll to 1240 deaths from August 2022 to August 2023.
Key Takeaways

• Australian drivers received 362,342 infringement notices in 2022 for using their mobile phones behind the wheel.
  • Mobile phone detection cameras issued the majority of these infringements, with a dramatic increase noted since their activation.
  • Alongside mobile phone usage, there has been a rise in positive results for roadside drug tests and drink-driving tests compared to 2019 figures.
  • There has also been a significant increase in seatbelt infringements, largely detected by cameras, and a 6.8 per cent rise in road deaths compared to the average figure in August over the last five years.
Members, what are your thoughts on these numbers? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
It goes to show lot's of people think they are infallible so if fines not work get their phones confiscated like when they impound vehicles. There must be another way ,if they want to kill themselves that's their perogative,but they usually survive and a innocent person dies

As the number of cars on the roads grows, so do the number of unsafe driving habits that endanger lives and could cost drivers tens of thousands of dollars in fines.

The Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts have issued a record-breaking 362,342 infringement notices in 2022 due to irresponsible drivers getting caught using their mobile phones behind the wheel.

An astounding 312,945 of these infringements were issued by cameras—a huge increase from the 178,296 record in 2021.

The infringements issued in 2022 also reportedly grew by 64 per cent compared to the record in 2021.

View attachment 32066
Mobile phone infringement notices were issued 362,342 times in 2022. Image source: Drazen Zigic on Freepik.

Police have been actively combating unsafe driving practices, such as speeding, using a mobile phone, or drinking and driving.

However, data has shown that the number of mobile phone infringement notices issued by police officers declined across the country every year between 2017 and 2021 despite the massive increase in the number of drivers.

Considering the overwhelming rise in mobile phone infringements issued by both police officers and cameras, records show that there has also been a constant upward trend in speeding infringements since 2010, the year with the lowest record.

However, there has been a slight drop in issued speeding infringements by both cameras and police in 2022. Speeding infringement notices were issued a total of 4,551,342 times in 2022 and 4,867,138 times in 2021.

The data also paints a worrying picture when it comes to drug-related infringements. A higher percentage of roadside drug tests conducted returned a positive result in 2022 compared to 2019, which was the biggest year on record in terms of tests conducted.

In 2022, 458,133 roadside tests were conducted, with 10.2 per cent of those returning a positive result.

However, in 2019, 507,315 tests were conducted, with 9.6 per cent of them yielding a positive result.

When it comes to drunk driving, more drivers than ever before are returning positive breath test results in 2022 compared with 2019.

A total of 10,639,333 breath tests were conducted last year, which yielded 0.6 per cent of positive results.

In 2019, a total of 15,248,047 tests were conducted, with 0.4 per cent of those being positive results.

As for seatbelt-related offences, cameras have issued 60 per cent of the total infringements. Records show that there has been a 191 per cent increase in issued infringements in 2022 compared to 2021.

There were also 101 reported road deaths in August 2023 alone—this is 6.8 per cent higher than the average for August over the previous five years.

Sadly, this brings the total road toll to 1240 deaths from August 2022 to August 2023.
Key Takeaways

• Australian drivers received 362,342 infringement notices in 2022 for using their mobile phones behind the wheel.
  • Mobile phone detection cameras issued the majority of these infringements, with a dramatic increase noted since their activation.
  • Alongside mobile phone usage, there has been a rise in positive results for roadside drug tests and drink-driving tests compared to 2019 figures.
  • There has also been a significant increase in seatbelt infringements, largely detected by cameras, and a 6.8 per cent rise in road deaths compared to the average figure in August over the last five years.
Members, what are your thoughts on these numbers? Let us know in the comments below!

As a competition driver of over 55 years, the first (AND ONLY) time I answered a mobile phone I was travelling at 100K/H on the Hume Freeway in a modern sedan. Being used to processing multiple inputs of information simultaneously and constantly including road speed, engine revolutions, oil pressure, engine temperature , road noise, mechanical noises, distance of vehicle in front, distance of vehicle behind, space between vehicles on either side, road condition immediately in front, where the road was heading in the next kilometer or so, dry or wet or slippery, what the other drivers were likely to do, and how I was feeling, when I picked up the phone and answered my brain went into overload.
To do this is totally stupid, you CANNOT concentrate on the task at hand which is to keep you alive. I don't care how clever you think you are.

I didn't know that a Federal department could issue fines in relation to phone usage. I thought these were the reponsibility of State Govt

And research into driverless cars has shown that it is essential that drivers stay alert to what happens on the road so as to be able to take evasive action as quickly as possible to avoid the unexpected, such as a child running across the road etc. This includes reacting in time to over-ride the car's computer. Just watch the accidents increase as driverless car technology breeds stupid complacency!

As a competition driver of over 55 years, the first (AND ONLY) time I answered a mobile phone I was travelling at 100K/H on the Hume Freeway in a modern sedan. Being used to processing multiple inputs of information simultaneously and constantly including road speed, engine revolutions, oil pressure, engine temperature , road noise, mechanical noises, distance of vehicle in front, distance of vehicle behind, space between vehicles on either side, road condition immediately in front, where the road was heading in the next kilometer or so, dry or wet or slippery, what the other drivers were likely to do, and how I was feeling, when I picked up the phone and answered my brain went into overload.
To do this is totally stupid, you CANNOT concentrate on the task at hand which is to keep you alive. I don't care how clever you think you are.
One gets the same awareness from several years of riding motorcycles on the road, as well as the awareness of just how bloody stupid and careless and aggressive are Australia's and New Zealand's car drivers, even when not on their mobile phones or drunk or on drugs.

A car-driver's job is also to keep other road-users alive.

View attachment 32066

Key Takeaways

I'm not surprised. The only answer to the phone problem is to completely ban them from inside vehicles. We survived before they existed and still can if we are dedicated enough. Throw it in the boot before you drive.

Reactions: Rob44
One gets the same awareness from several years of riding motorcycles on the road, as well as the awareness of just how bloody stupid and careless and aggressive are Australia's and New Zealand's car drivers, even when not on their mobile phones or drunk or on drugs.

A car-driver's job is also to keep other road-users alive.
bravo! (not sarcastic)

Its not just your life that is at stake - think of the consequences if you hurt innocent pedestrians /other road users. Everyone's life will change forever

It is hard to resist when
the damn things ring when you are
waiting on a call, and of course it is going to ring when your driving
It took a whole lot of "courage" to refuse to do it. But now I think nothing is that important and besides it tells me who has rung, so I am not as stressed as I used to be.
Anything is okay for a few minutes. It wasn't easy to resist,in the first place but now I don't sweat it. I'll get to it.
It really has become an obsession I never
thought I would get so bound up about it.
A few days ago I thought I had lost the blooming thing, I instantly broke into panic mode. Can any one relate to that.?
Talk about obsession. There are 276 phone numbers on it.

It rules me .Remember the good ol' days
before mobile phones. Now it is impossible to think, what did I ever do without it. Do you agree?

It took a whole lot of "courage" to refuse to do it. But now I think nothing is that important and besides it tells me who has rung, so I am not as stressed as I used to be.
Anything is okay for a few minutes. It wasn't easy to resist,in the first place but now I don't sweat it. I'll get to it.
A few days ago I thought I had lost the blooming thing, I instantly broke into panic mode. Can any one relate to that.?

before mobile phones. Now it is impossible to think, what did I ever do without it. Do you agree?

I just use a landline with a message bank. If a call is that important and I am out, just leave a message and I will return the call when I get back home. I didn't need a mobile phone before they were invented so why waste my time and money on one now?