These seven Aussie destinations are dubbed the world's 'most boring' stops!

When it comes to exploring the wonders of Australia, there's no shortage of breathtaking landscapes, vibrant cities, and unique wildlife encounters to fill your travel itinerary.

However, only some tourist spots are guaranteed to leave you with awe-inspiring memories.

Gaming website Solitaired came out with a list of attractions labelled as the most boring on the globe, tallying over 66 million Google reviews of tourist destinations worldwide.

Before you plan your next outing, take heed of these seven Aussie destinations named the world's most yawn-inducing tourist traps.

Boola Bardip Museum, Western Australia

The Boola Bardip Museum has the dubious honour of being named Australia's most boring tourist destination and the 16th least interesting globally.

Opened in 2020, the museum includes heritage sites like the Old Perth Gaol and Hackett Hall, but left some visitors underwhelmed, longing for the artefact-rich experience of the old museum.

'Very disappointed with the exhibition To The Moon. We went yesterday with our grandson 12 and found the experience very boring and quite disorganised,' one grandparent lamented.

'For what was there it should have been a free event, definitely not worth the money.'

'Well, that was a letdown. The museum was my favourite for so long, and I was so excited for the upgraded one. What a waste of millions of dollars that was,' another shared.

Despite being the state's premier cultural organisation and housing WA's scientific and cultural collection, the museum needs more charm and engagement.

compressed-pexels-charmaine-3456324-5182377.jpeg
Several Aussie destinations, including museums and theme parks, were dubbed as the 'most boring tourist attractions' according to Solitaired. Image Credit: Pexels/Charmaine

Legoland Discovery Centre, Melbourne

With four of its locations making the list, Legoland Discovery Centre might not be the wonderland you'd expect.

The Melbourne centre, in particular, has been criticised for multiple reasons.

'Extremely disappointing. Place was dirty, two rides were very lame, Lego city was average. Honestly they are charging way too much for an indoor playground,' a guest wrote.

Despite its 13 Lego-themed play zones, the experience has left some guests feeling that the high admission price needs to match the value.

Museum of Sydney

The Museum of Sydney, built over the remains of Australia's first Government House, has been criticised for being 'too cramped'.

Space issues aside, guests also complained about the lack of interesting information.

'I've never been so disappointed in a museum in my life. Most of it is about building the Opera House, very little actual history,' a guest wrote.

Visitors have expressed frustration with the queuing system and the overall disappointing experience.

Immigration Museum, Victoria

The Immigration Museum in Victoria, which documents the state's rich immigration history, has also been met with dissatisfaction.

Changes to the exhibits left some members feeling let down by the museum's offerings.

'Became a museum member and all three places are disappointing. The Immigration Museum [is] the most dissatisfying of all. The ship was removed to make room for functions, there is no café or food there,' a disappointed member shared.

The Museum of Old and New Art, Tasmania

The Museum of Old and New Art (Mona) in Tasmania is known for its unconventional and often provocative exhibits.

'It has a very strange dark feeling to it. There is a lot of art that is sexual, even a wall with a video of three naked women standing. And a wall full of woman genitalia. It seems very anti-God,' a visitor shared.

Others came to the museum's defence.

'Possibly the largest museum I've ever been to. Spent a total of four hours there. [...] Very interesting concept and collection. The tunnels that connect different sections are also very cool,' another visitor wrote.

While it has garnered an average score of 4.4 on Google, Mona is not everyone's cup of tea.

Luna Park, Melbourne

Luna Park, also dubbed as a Melbourne icon, was described as 'overpriced', with guests complaining about long wait times and poor management.

The park's charm has diminished over the years, with many feeling that it no longer offers the same value or excitement as it once did.

'I wouldn't go there again once upon a time it was free to get in, now you have to pay $20 and you get I free ride, the place is too small for the amount of rides them you wait for one hour plus in line for some rides, is nothing like it use to be when I was smaller and a teenager,' a guest said.

The Bell Tower, Perth

The Bell Tower, home to the Swan Bells, has been criticised for its frequent and loud ringing.

Potential visitors also reported the staff's lack of enthusiasm, deterring them from further exploring the attraction.

'My aunt and I would have loved to pay the entry fee and go up, but the staff were more interested in their conversation. Very disappointing,' a visitor reviewed.

While these reviews might paint a dreary picture, remember that one person's boredom could be another's treasure.

Attractions can be subjective, and experiences vary widely depending on personal interests, the time of visit, and even the weather.

However, if you're looking for guaranteed excitement and engagement, you might want to steer clear of these seven spots.

Instead, seek destinations that consistently receive rave reviews and align with your passions, whether nature, history, art, or adventure.
Key Takeaways

• Seven Australian tourist attractions have been named among the most boring in the world by Solitaired, with Western Australia's Boola Bardip Museum topping the list nationally.
  • Complaints about the listed attractions often centred around underwhelming exhibits, poorly managed facilities, or lack of essentials like cafes.
  • The Museum of Old and New Art (Mona) in Tasmania received mixed reviews, with some visitors finding the art confronting or too controversial.
  • Popular Melbourne attractions such as the Legoland Discovery Centre and Luna Park were also on the list, with visitors criticising their value for money and overall experience.
Have you visited any of these attractions? Do you agree with Solitaired's 'boring' list, or did you find a hidden gem among them? Share your experiences and travel tips with us in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
I have to agree The immigration museum was a yawn fest. An hour or two of my life I won’t get back lol

I've been to MONA in Tasmania and it was so different! Loved it as for the visitors remarks its "anti god" all I can say is you should have visited the church!🤣🤣

Last edited:
The old days of 'have a look at this' tourism is dead! What people want and need now is a genuine experience, be it a 'hands on' exhibit with active features, or a cultural experience that you can participate in. Simply 'looking at stuff' and taking pictures IS boring as batsh*t, so I say to those on the list... learn from that, look at what you have and ask yourselves "what can we do to engage our visitors more fully than just a 'check this thing out' experience?"

Reactions: PattiB
We loved the Bell Tower in Perth. My husband even did the bell ringing session. Might visit again as we haven’t been since the area was upgraded. My son did send us photos so will put it on the list for next visit.

We visited the Perth Belltower last year and did the whole experience. Upon returning to Adelaide and doing a WEA 2 session bellringing course I started learning to do it properly at the Adelaide Ringing Centre. ( one of only 2 ringing centres in the world) I go to practices twice a week and have now gained level 1 of an internationally recognised educational programme for Bellringing. The Perth Belltower certainly wasnt boring for me and has given me a new hobby, fitness and social outlet.

• Love
Reactions: PattiB
Same here, loved it, and l love hearing the bells and knowing how old they are, and that they were gifted to Perth from St Martin's in the Field in London.
why on earth do "visitors" have to bitch about everything? I've been to many of these places and accepted them as they are... not expecting them to be "upgraded" to suit me. Sydney Museum is a classic example, a museum holds HISTORY. I adored going there from when I was very small and would love to do so again if only I was younger and legs worked.

The old days of 'have a look at this' tourism is dead! What people want and need now is a genuine experience, be it a 'hands on' exhibit with active features, or a cultural experience that you can participate in. Simply 'looking at stuff' and taking pictures IS boring as batsh*t, so I say to those on the list... learn from that, look at what you have and ask yourselves "what can we do to engage our visitors more fully than just a 'check this thing out' experience?"
FYI have you ever been to MONA?? It is interactive, it also has a restaurant and it's in the middle of a beautiful vineyard..so maybe check your facts first..BEFORE a comment??