These everyday gadgets at home are secretly skyrocketing your energy bill!

In the age of technology, our homes are filled with gadgets and appliances that promise to make life easier and more entertaining.

However, as we embrace these modern conveniences, we must know the hidden costs they bring to our energy bills.

It's time to expose the everyday gadgets that secretly drain wallets and show you how you can take control and save money on your power bill.

The term 'energy vampires' might sound like something out of a horror movie. Still, it's a genuine phenomenon affecting households across Australia.

These vampires are the appliances and devices in your home that continue to consume electricity even when turned off or in standby mode.

This 'phantom load' can significantly contribute to your energy bill, and it's often overlooked because the costs are not immediately apparent.

compressed-appliances.jpeg
EnergyFlex identified several 'energy vampires' consuming excessive amounts of power that may cause bill shock for some homeowners. Image Credits: Pexels/Charlotte May, Sharad Kacchi

Garry Harding, co-founder and Chief Executive of energy analytics company EnergyFlex, identified some energy vampires that may feed off electricity.

Smart TVs, gaming consoles, and internet modems are among the top culprits, quietly syphoning off power and money.

For example, a smart TV can consume 12W per hour while on standby—possibly adding an extra $34.69 to your annual energy bill.

Considering all the devices in your home, this can add up to an additional $104-176 each year.

While the Federal Government's $300 energy rebate from July 1 may offer some relief, it's a temporary fix to a persistent problem.

To combat these hidden costs, consumers must understand how electricity use works and take proactive steps to reduce it.

One of the most straightforward solutions is to switch off power boards or outlets when devices are not in use.

This can cut off the power supply to your gadgets, preventing them from drawing unnecessary energy.

For those looking for a more high-tech solution, smart switches can be installed. These switches allow you to control your devices remotely through your mobile phone.

Energyflex’s list of the biggest household energy vampires-.jpg
EnergyFlex listed down some of the common energy vampires found at home. Source: EnergyFlex

This helps you save energy and adds a layer of convenience to managing your home's power usage.

EnergyFlex's app on iOS and Android also provides practical tips and a rating system that measures the impact on the power grid and your household's ability to use renewable energy when available.

Another tip to consider is being mindful of 'peak usage' times.

Electricity prices are higher during these periods due to increased demand.

Running appliances like dishwashers during 'off-peak' times can save you much more than the government rebate offers.

Federal Treasurer Jim Chalmers has emphasised that the rebate is not about 'spraying cash around'. but rather providing targeted assistance to ease the cost-of-living pressures.

However, taking control of your energy consumption can go beyond temporary relief and achieve lasting savings.

While technology has brought countless benefits to our lives, it's essential to be aware of the hidden costs associated with our gadgets.

By identifying your home's energy vampires and taking steps to reduce their impact, you can save money and contribute to a more sustainable future.

Key Takeaways

• EnergyFlex co-founder and expert Garry Harding highlighted that everyday appliances like Smart TVs, gaming consoles, and internet modems contribute to significant power costs due to 'phantom load'.
  • While the Federal Government is offering a $300 energy rebate to provide some relief, Harding advises that households can save even more by being aware of and reducing phantom load.
  • Standby power can result in additional costs – up to an annual extra cost of $34.69 from a Smart TV on standby alone – with a range of appliances contributing to an extra $104-176 a year on power bills, depending on the state.
  • Simple measures like turning off power boards or outlets or using smart switches can reduce unnecessary energy consumption.
  • Being conscious of peak and off-peak electricity usage times can lead to further savings.
Do you have any 'energy vampires' at home? If so, please share your experiences and power-saving tips in the comments below.

Sponsored
The biggest vampire where we first discovered was the solar system.
We installed an 11 kW system where we expected it to generate all the electricity we needed.
The system was installed so that the electricity where only 6 kw was generated went into the Grit for 5 cents/kw, the rest was lost and we had to buy the electricity we used back from the power suplayer for 39 cents.
The whole solar thing is a big scam

We installed an 11 kW system where we expected it to generate all the electricity we needed.
The system was installed so that the electricity where only 6 kw was generated went into the Grit for 5 cents/kw, the rest was lost and we had to buy the electricity we used back from the power suplayer for 39 cents.
Agree

If you get batteries, you power bill will be next to nothing except in winter.

• Love
Reactions: bluetang
The electricity is NOT LOST they only pay you for the first 6kw then take the rest for free.
They should be building batteries for later use and system stabilisation. With out battery storage solar is not the answer.
For every generation plant that is given permission to build should have a battery equivalent storage included .
Only then can you have reliability and cheaper electricity.

• Love
Reactions: Wandiwa and Jennie
I unplug every electricity out lets .except my smart tv would like to unplug that also
but I have foxtel and do not know if it will interfear with programing when I plug it back in.
I also have all my clocks on batteries only.

The electricity is NOT LOST they only pay you for the first 6kw then take the rest for free.
They should be building batteries for later use and system stabilisation. With out battery storage solar is not the answer.
For every generation plant that is given permission to build should have a battery equivalent storage included .
Only then can you have reliability and cheaper electricity.
Stand - alone systems work. You have a battery bank and nothing goes into the grid - expensive to setup but you are the only user.

I have nothing on standby ever, and the only appliance always on is the fridge. I turn appliances on at the main switch only at the time of use, then they are off at once. My reverse cycle is off at the meter which means I have to make a deliberate decision to use it. One light on at any one time - easy for me as a one-person household!

My actual energy USE costs are quite low, however I compare usage tariffs and daily use charges of different companies regularly, and have changed companies several times if I have found better rates.

One thing I do also is research a company's ownership, and my last three companies, including my current supplier, have been and are, Australian owned.

Now we are in town we are going on to solar 1st July with battery. We lived on a yacht for 20 years and used 240v power. We had a large battery bank and an excellent inverter. Never hooked up to town power even when in a marina. To use a welder we ran a generator. 240 v appliances were better quality and cheap than the 12v ones