The unbelievable price spike that left one shopper in shock: What's behind it?

Inflation has become a growing concern for us all, especially when it affects essentials, like the products we buy in our local supermarkets every week. With inflation running at 30 year highs, we’ve all been feeling the squeeze of price hikes lately.

But for one shopper at a local grocer, that pinch turned into a punch in the gut when she saw the price of bread had suddenly doubled.

Mum-of-two Chantel Lobban set out to do her weekly grocery shop at a local store, but she soon realised that the prices of familiar bread brands had ballooned to double the amount they normally cost.

She said she saw the price hike while out shopping in Adelaide earlier this month.

wonder.jpg
Chantel said the price of bread had doubled in a matter of days. Credit: Wonder

In a video she shared on TikTok, she showed loaves of bread with well-known labels on the shelves such as Wonder White and TipTop.

‘Bread went from $3.60 to $6.20,’ she said in the clip as she panned to the recognisable brands.

Chantel then showed a TipTop loaf of bread selling for $5.60 and several Wonder White loaves retailing for even higher at $6.20.

‘It’s 8 am and I’m effin confuzzled,’ she said.

Independent grocers (like IGA) are usually pricier to shop at compared to larger supermarkets primarily because chain grocery stores, like Coles or Woolworths have more buying power and can negotiate better with manufacturers and distributors, while independent grocers can’t always do that.

Supermarket giants also sell goods at the minimum margin, which means, at least theoretically, that they increase the volume of sales (and total profit) by lowering their prices.

In practice, though, prices are up everywhere.

bread.jpg
The woman said she was confused at the sudden price hike. Credit: princessmusclegirl/TikTok

Chantel’s followers also expressed their shock at the inflated price.

‘No more toast kids! It’s cheaper to give them Woolies mud cake for breakfast!’ One shared.

‘Trust me, this was me last week…I remember bread being 2 or 3 dollars and now it’s suddenly 6,’ someone added.

While another claimed they bought the same brand at Coles recently and only paid $3.90. ‘That’s weird,’ Chantel responded.

Others weren’t surprised at the price increase and said Chantel should ‘prepare for the pain to increase’ as well.

bread1.jpg
The price of bread has increased everywhere, surging by around 15% at Coles over the last 18 months or so. Source: Pricehipster

‘Inflation…we are heading towards another recession,’ one woman claimed.

‘Same is happening in New Zealand. 18 eggs went from $9 to $18 in two days,’ a second wrote.

You can watch Chantel’s video below:

As of the time of publication, Australia’s biggest supermarkets, Woolworths and Coles, both sell Wonder White and Tip Top loaves for $3.90 each.

Drakes, the shop Chantel visited, has since claimed that the prices in the video are incorrect.

‘This is not a price increase nor inflation. There should have been a special ticket on the shelf, showing a lower price,’ a spokesperson for Drakes told reporters.

This comes after experts at the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) reported that the cost of living crisis has hit a new high, with inflation rising to 7.8 per cent during the last quarter of 2022. The ABS claimed that the figure marked the fastest annual pace of inflation since the 1990s, and said that this might prompt the Reserve Bank of Australia to raise interest rates in the coming weeks to combat further inflation. You can read more about the report here.

In a post on popular social media forum Reddit, Aussies expressed their annoyance over the rising prices of groceries. One shared how they picked up essential and non-essential items, including nappies, fruit and vegetables, cheese, bacon, peanut butter, chicken nuggets and protein balls and paid a total of $170.

‘I did my groceries online today and ended up with a total of $160. Decided to go back through and take out the crap I didn’t really need…there was none,’ one replied.

One claimed that every time they visit the supermarket, they almost always end up paying $75+ for ‘just a few things’.

‘I’m a single guy buying for myself only. I don’t know how families get by,’ he added.

However, it is believed that unpredictable weather – which has been disastrous for farmers and their crops – also played a part in the rising cost of groceries. A year’s worth of wild weather resulted in food shortages in several supermarket chains. You can find more details about food supply shortages here, here, and here.
Key Takeaways
  • A TikTok user was shocked to find the cost of bread at a local shop had doubled.
  • Independent grocers tend to be more pricey than chain supermarkets.
  • Forum users expressed their annoyance over the inflation of grocery prices.
  • A year's worth of wild and unpredictable weather has been disastrous for crops, resulting in food shortages and higher prices.
Do you have further tips for saving money at the supermarket? Share your advice with other members in the comments below! Also, the federal government provides financial assistance and support to Australians struggling to make ends meet.

Sponsored
Everything has gone up including staples like bread and milk.

I always look at what's half price and top up my cupboards with those eg washing up detergent, laundry detergent, tuna ect I never pay full price for these.

The federal government provides financial assistance and support to Australians struggling to make ends meet. ??? Not sure what kind of support. 🤔

Every year, Centrelink indexes Age Pension payment rates in March and September to keep it in line with inflation. That's supposed to be the story but it's woefully inadequate given the rate at which inflation increases. The increase in cost of household goods is greater than the relative increase applied to the Pension. I also think that the big players (Coles, Woolies) act to keep their shareholders happy. In these times, I believe the shareholders should be prepared to take a hit.

These days I have had to change my shopping habits, it's not buy what you need, it's what can I buy with my spending limit. I've bitten the bullet and set my limit to $80. I then sit at my computer and do a juggling act till I get the best bang for my buck. It does mean that some weeks I don't get everything I need but them's the breaks. What I miss out on this week goes to the top of the list for next week. I'm lucky in that I had a freezer full and groaning at the beginning of these shenanigans, it's slowly being whittled down but I'm in no danger of starving any time soon. I really feel for those with no stock to fall back on, life must be so much harder. :(

Inflation has become a growing concern for us all, especially when it affects essentials, like the products we buy in our local supermarkets every week. With inflation running at 30 year highs, we’ve all been feeling the squeeze of price hikes lately.

But for one shopper at a local grocer, that pinch turned into a punch in the gut when she saw the price of bread had suddenly doubled.

Mum-of-two Chantel Lobban set out to do her weekly grocery shop at a local store, but she soon realised that the prices of familiar bread brands had ballooned to double the amount they normally cost.

She said she saw the price hike while out shopping in Adelaide earlier this month.

View attachment 12372

In a video she shared on TikTok, she showed loaves of bread with well-known labels on the shelves such as Wonder White and TipTop.

‘Bread went from $3.60 to $6.20,’ she said in the clip as she panned to the recognisable brands.

Chantel then showed a TipTop loaf of bread selling for $5.60 and several Wonder White loaves retailing for even higher at $6.20.

Independent grocers (like IGA) are usually pricier to shop at compared to larger supermarkets primarily because chain grocery stores, like Coles or Woolworths have more buying power and can negotiate better with manufacturers and distributors, while independent grocers can’t always do that.

Supermarket giants also sell goods at the minimum margin, which means, at least theoretically, that they increase the volume of sales (and total profit) by lowering their prices.

View attachment 12371
The woman said she was confused at the sudden price hike. Credit: princessmusclegirl/TikTok

‘No more toast kids! It’s cheaper to give them Woolies mud cake for breakfast!’ One shared.

‘Trust me, this was me last week…I remember bread being 2 or 3 dollars and now it’s suddenly 6,’ someone added.

While another claimed they bought the same brand at Coles recently and only paid $3.90. ‘That’s weird,’ Chantel responded.

Others weren’t surprised at the price increase and said Chantel should ‘prepare for the pain to increase’ as well.

View attachment 12373
The price of bread has increased everywhere, surging by around 15% at Coles over the last 18 months or so. Source: Pricehipster

‘Same is happening in New Zealand. 18 eggs went from $9 to $18 in two days,’ a second wrote.

As of the time of publication, Australia’s biggest supermarkets, Woolworths and Coles, both sell Wonder White and Tip Top loaves for $3.90 each.

Drakes, the shop Chantel visited, has since claimed that the prices in the video are incorrect.

‘This is not a price increase nor inflation. There should have been a special ticket on the shelf, showing a lower price,’ a spokesperson for Drakes told reporters.

This comes after experts at the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) reported that the cost of living crisis has hit a new high, with inflation rising to 7.8 per cent during the last quarter of 2022. The ABS claimed that the figure marked the fastest annual pace of inflation since the 1990s, and said that this might prompt the Reserve Bank of Australia to raise interest rates in the coming weeks to combat further inflation. You can read more about the report here.

In a post on popular social media forum Reddit, Aussies expressed their annoyance over the rising prices of groceries. One shared how they picked up essential and non-essential items, including nappies, fruit and vegetables, cheese, bacon, peanut butter, chicken nuggets and protein balls and paid a total of $170.

‘I did my groceries online today and ended up with a total of $160. Decided to go back through and take out the crap I didn’t really need…there was none,’ one replied.

One claimed that every time they visit the supermarket, they almost always end up paying $75+ for ‘just a few things’.

‘I’m a single guy buying for myself only. I don’t know how families get by,’ he added.

However, it is believed that unpredictable weather – which has been disastrous for farmers and their crops – also played a part in the rising cost of groceries. A year’s worth of wild weather resulted in food shortages in several supermarket chains. You can find more details about food supply shortages here, here, and here.
Key Takeaways

• A TikTok user was shocked to find the cost of bread at a local shop had doubled.
  • A year's worth of wild and unpredictable weather has been disastrous for crops, resulting in food shortages and higher prices.
Do you have further tips for saving money at the supermarket? Share your advice with other members in the comments below! Also, the federal government provides financial assistance and support to Australians struggling to make ends meet.

I use my bread maker on a regular basis, but so far prices havnt changed. I am going back to my young mum days, catalogues and marching from one store to another. Growing my often used lettuce and capsicum,will be a start.
Sadly nothing I can do about pet food, I have a few . Just cooking chicken okay but the suppliers put in the necessary additives I can’t access. Found all my old country women’s recipe books for cheap tasty meals as well.

Every year, Centrelink indexes Age Pension payment rates in March and September to keep it in line with inflation. That's supposed to be the story but it's woefully inadequate given the rate at which inflation increases. The increase in cost of household goods is greater than the relative increase applied to the Pension. I also think that the big players (Coles, Woolies) act to keep their shareholders happy. In these times, I believe the shareholders should be prepared to take a hit.
They index the payments yes, but they are based on inflation figures 3-6 months old. No help when prices go up daily.

Kinda didn’t notice it at first, but now my usual $59 shop in Aldi has jumped to around $75. 🙁
My in-laws have me purchase their groceries from Coles and in comparison it’s way more expensive than ALDIs. I’m happy to stay with Aldi even though the prices are increasing. It’s such a struggle nowadays to stretch a dollar and many are suffering. ☹️

View attachment 12372

View attachment 12371

View attachment 12373

Key Takeaways

View attachment 12372

View attachment 12371

View attachment 12373

Key Takeaways

Shop around all the supermarket's only go to Woolworths or Coles if something is on special other than that I hit Aldi

Totally agree and I am a share holder

The supermarkets have increased prices with no real justification. The RBA does what it did in the late eighties and raises interest rates to slow this inflation.
Every consumer gets squeezed from both of these practices, until the economy is collapsing and we get a recession.
Then there are real estate bargains for those who've benefitted from high interest on savings.
They can say what they like, the net result is the rich get richer and everyone else struggles.
The only consolation is that the rich can't take it with them.

View attachment 12372

View attachment 12371

View attachment 12373

Key Takeaways

Those stupid people on that Tiktok (whose videos I couldn't even be bothered watching) must compete to see who can make the silliest video? 🙄

Obviously that price is a mistake, but jumps on social media first to be a hero and doesn't query it with the store🙄

In Woolies that Wonder bread and TipTop are both $3.90. Gone up about 60c.

The only tip I have is if something's too expensive I don't buy it even though I might want it, but keep checking the price in case it goes down again. 🙂
However, if I'm going to keep worrying about the prices going up I'd end up not buying anything and starve😕

These days I have had to change my shopping habits, it's not buy what you need, it's what can I buy with my spending limit. I've bitten the bullet and set my limit to $80. I then sit at my computer and do a juggling act till I get the best bang for my buck. It does mean that some weeks I don't get everything I need but them's the breaks. What I miss out on this week goes to the top of the list for next week. I'm lucky in that I had a freezer full and groaning at the beginning of these shenanigans, it's slowly being whittled down but I'm in no danger of starving any time soon. I really feel for those with no stock to fall back on, life must be so much harder. :(
I also have a freezer full and top up. I also juggle my shopping list , this is why I like shopping on line , no surprise at the checkout.I don't know how those with a mortgage or high rent are able to do it. I'm guessing both parents need to work. I know two of my daughters have gone back to work a few days a week

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
Everything has gone up including staples like bread and milk.

I always look at what's half price and top up my cupboards with those eg washing up detergent, laundry detergent, tuna ect I never pay full price for these.

The federal government provides financial assistance and support to Australians struggling to make ends meet. ??? Not sure what kind of support. 🤔
Wise shopping indeed.

Federal Govt's support? l always thought their motto was, "HELP THE GREEDY & FORGET ABOUT THE NEEDY." Why should our Pollies care about us low life Pensioners, unemployed etc when they are on a good salary, huge pension & hidden extras?

Last edited: