The two major nutrient deficiencies affecting Aussie women, according to dietitians

Women naturally have a lot on their plates. There are a million things competing for their attention at once, such as work, family, friends, and many others – it's no wonder they sometimes let their own health and well-being fall by the wayside. There’s simply not enough time in the day.

But even though they might not always have time to prepare the most nutritionally-balanced meals or hit the gym as often as they'd like, that doesn't mean they should completely neglect their diets.

After all, poor diet choices can lead to all sorts of health problems down the line.

For example, did you know that deficiencies in certain nutrients are actually quite common among Australian women? Luckily, leading dietitians Leanne Ward and Susie Burrell are here to fill us in on everything we need to know.

According to these experts, calcium and iron deficiencies are two of the most common nutrient deficiencies faced by women in Australia today. And trust us - you definitely don't want either of these.

Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 2.44.04 PM.png
Leanne and Susie say that the two most common nutrient deficiencies among Australian women are calcium and iron. Credit: Daily Mail.

Calcium

According to Leanne, calcium is one of the nutrients that many Australian women these days don't get enough of.

'Years ago, we wouldn't have had to think about being deficient in something like calcium, but due to the different diets out there, the different intolerances and various "health halos", I see a lot of people who don't get enough calcium,' she said.
The dietitian emphasised the importance of consuming calcium, especially for adolescent girls who are still developing and creating the groundwork for their adult bodies.

If you want to get more calcium, dairy is by far the easiest way to do it.

Dairy products like milk, yoghurt, and cheese are rich in calcium, and if you prefer a plant-based milk alternative, you should seek brands that have been fortified with the nutrient (preferably 250-300mg per cup).

Other excellent sources of calcium are sardines, tuna with edible bones, soybeans, tofu, and baked beans.

Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 2.43.54 PM.png
Add more dairy to your diet to up your calcium intake and more red meat to your diet to up your iron intake. Credit: iStock.

Iron

The production of healthy red blood cells requires the nutrient iron, which in turn contributes to a strong immune system, clear thinking, ample physical stamina, and a full tank of energy. All things we want, right?

Its primary function is in red blood cells, where it is used to produce haemoglobin, a protein responsible for transporting oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body's cells.

Because the body cannot produce iron, you must obtain it from food; if you do not consume enough iron daily, you may become anaemic.

According to Susie and Leanne, Aussie women who are 'sporadic meat eaters' are the people most likely to be lacking in iron. 'These are busy women who might have a steak at the pub once a week, but the rest of the time, they prefer lighter food like fish or even veggie meals,' they said.

The dietitians advocate eating 70 grams of red meat three to four times each week to increase iron levels, rather than one large portion once every few weeks.
'A lean cutlet or a lean sausage or a little bit of mince on your jacket potato are all good options,' they said, suggesting: 'Spread it out as much as possible to give your body the chance to absorb it.'

For any vegetarian readers, beans, peas, and lentils are also rich in iron.
Key Takeaways

• The two most common nutrient deficiencies among Australian women are calcium and iron.
  • To boost your calcium levels, eat foods like milk, yoghurt and cheese or opt for calcium-fortified plant-based milk.
  • To boost your iron levels, eat small servings of red meat 3-4 times per week or beans, peas and lentils.
You heard it from here, members! Calcium and iron, among other nutrients, could be lacking in your diet, so it's important to think about adding more nutrient-conscious choices to your daily intake.
As always, before making any dietary changes, it is important to speak with your doctor or GP first to determine the best course of action. Stay safe and healthy, everyone!

Sponsored
Iron is one of those things our body has trouble absorbing
The best way to get your body to absorb iron is to have vitamin c before hand.
So before you have that juicy steak eat an orange or the best one is 🥝 kiwi fruit , just one kiwi fruit before you have your meal .

Also eat something with vitamin c before you eat your breakfast cereal

Also capsicum is another good source to help you absorb iron ,

I know that I am usually Iron deficient. Every couple of years I have to have an Iron infusion which means I have to lie still and it takes about an hour and a half while Iron drips into my arm. This is despite me taking care with my diet and being aware of what I eat.:(

I know that I am usually Iron deficient. Every couple of years I have to have an Iron infusion which means I have to lie still and it takes about an hour and a half while Iron drips into my arm. This is despite me taking care with my diet and being aware of what I eat.:(
My daughter needs an iron infusion every so often . She was a vegetarian for around 5 years but is now eating meat again. I feel that's where her problem started.

A warning for everyone Covid is still around.
I've had the worst weekend in bed with 39.4 temp the worst body ache , headache.

Headache and fever has gone but my sore throat and coughing is now bad and affecting my asthma .

I went to a paint n sip Friday night with 6 of my daughters came home and started feeling a sore throat and really tired.
Woke up Saturday really sick. Sore throat , sneezing and a nose that was dripping, then the body ache and temperature
Apparently your infected 2 days before symptoms so I may have infected 20 people.
I'm vacinated plus boosted and had covid last December and this time is worst.
My point is maybe wear a mask when going out , yes we need to live our lives but we need to take care .
Screenshot_20221107-084714_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
A warning for everyone Covid is still around.
I've had the worst weekend in bed with 39.4 temp the worst body ache , headache.

Headache and fever has gone but my sore throat and coughing is now bad and affecting my asthma .

I went to a paint n sip Friday night with 6 of my daughters came home and started feeling a sore throat and really tired. Woke up Saturday really sick. Sore throat , sneezing and a nose that was dripping, then the body ache and temperature
Apparently your infected 2 days before symptoms so I may have infected 20 people.
I'm vacinated plus boosted and had civid last December and this time is worst.
My point is maybe wear mask when going out , yes we need to live our lives but we need to take care .
View attachment 8474
Hope you are feeling much improved really soon. Love and hugs:(:love:

Hope you are feeling much improved really soon. Love and hugs:(:love:
Thank you I'm already feeling better, my doctors calling me in 30 min to see if I need those antibiotics.

My 21 year old was sick last Tuesday for 3 days , she said she tested and didn't have covid but I'm thinking she had it.

Young people don't care , I went to get a drink last night to see around 10 young people , my 23 year old invited his friends over for a BBQ . One of his friends saw me with my mask on and said he hopes I get better soon. They knew I had Covid but didn't bother them

So before you have that juicy steak eat an orange or the best one is 🥝 kiwi fruit , just one kiwi fruit before you have your meal .

I think most women and men would know you need iron and calcium unless you have Haemochromatosis high iron in your blood

I had an iron infusion after surgery and I have never been so sick, my system could not tolerate it and I vomited most of it, the doctors at the hospital could not understand my reaction, my GP later told me that there was nothing wrong with my iron levels and that the hospital was over reacting because I had 2 major operations within 6 weeks and they reccomended the Iron infusion to counteract the blood loss, always trust your GP they know your body and its needs.

I think most women and men would know you need iron and calcium unless you have Haemochromatosis high iron in your blood
I'm guessing most would know that you need calcium and Iron but how many are actually getting enough . They might think they are but like I said Iron is something that our bodies have trouble absorbing without the help of vitamin c

Actually iron from red meat is more easily absorbed into the body. It’s iron from plant-based food, lime leafy green vegetables, that require vitamin C at the same meal.

Reactions: Ricci and paulamc52
Actually iron from red meat is more easily absorbed into the body. It’s iron from plant-based food, lime leafy green vegetables, that require vitamin C at the same meal.
I used to think that and my husband still insist that liver is the best source.
Something that had happened to me I had lost half my body blood and was told I needed a transfusion, I refused and they sent a dietician to me just to build my iron up.
I told her it's ok I will eat more meat and that's when she told me even eating meat you need to eat an orange or kiwi fruit first to help boost it as iron in any food it's hard for our body to absorb it
Taking vitamin C ( I ate kiwi fruit ) was like a magnet to the iron

Reactions: Ricci