The surprising ingredient Australians are putting in coffee that has Canadians up in arms!

Let’s face it, we love our coffee. Whether it’s a morning latte or an after-lunch flat white—we simply won’t settle for anything less than the best.

But for one Canadian expat, this dedication to good coffee had him completely up in arms.

Josiah Hein was on a domestic flight to the Gold Coast when he requested a coffee with ‘creamer’, only to be met with utter confusion from the flight attendant.

While the ‘usual’ for most Aussies is to receive a little packet of whole milk when they order coffee on flights, Josiah pointed out that in the United States, where he had recently been, people get something called 'creamer' instead.

In spite of its misleading name, ‘creamer’ is far from real cream. Instead, it's a substitute made out of evaporated milk solids, vegetable oil, corn syrup, and a mix of additives and preservatives.

'Flying back to Australia, and I ordered a coffee,' he said in his now-famous social media video from the plane.

coffee-842020_1280.jpg
Approximately 75 per cent of Australian adults enjoy a daily cup of coffee, and among them, 28% savour at least three cups daily. Image source: Pixabay

‘There’s no creamer, they offered me milk. A stark contrast between North America and Australia.’

‘They are literally just adding milk to their coffees. They don’t know what creamer is.’

‘I was trying to explain it to the stewardess, or cabin crew. Kind of wild.’

Many people in the comments were surprised at Josiah's reaction while pointing out that milk is a much healthier option.

‘In Australia, we don't need 'creamer,' because our coffee is actually good,’ one commented. ‘We know what 'creamer' is; we also know what it is made from.’

‘Coffee 'creamer' is poison,’ another wrote. ‘In Australia, we only put natural ingredients in our coffee, not chemicals.’

‘We know what it is, we just refuse to acknowledge it,’ another user said. ‘We don’t want everything to taste like diabetes.’

Upon reaching his destination, Josiah also observed how laid-back Australians were compared to Americans at the baggage carousel.

Josiah was taken aback when he received milk instead of 'creamer'. Video source: Social media (@josiahhein)

‘Most of them are on the other side of the carousel. It’s a different vibe.’

‘I don’t think Australians care as much, a little bit less uptight up in here. That is my impression.’

His followers agreed, noting Australians' natural mindfulness.

'We Australians are more civilised and raised well,' one said.

'It’s not a lack of care, it’s an abundance of care,' another stressed. 'We care about being courteous and giving space.'

Key Takeaways

• A Canadian expat was surprised by Australians using milk instead of creamer in coffee.
  • This happened on a domestic flight to the Gold Coast, confusing the flight attendant.
  • On social media, many praised milk as a healthier choice and noted Australians' preference for natural ingredients in coffee.
  • The Canadian also observed a cultural difference at baggage claim, with Australians being more relaxed and courteous compared to Americans.
Members, have you ever experienced culture shock while visiting another country? If so, what aspects of the culture surprised or intrigued you the most? Share your experiences with us below!

Sponsored
The size of the meals served in any of the hotels we stayed in was a real shocker, by the end of the stay I was ordering child size meals, which to be honest were not that much smaller I was gobsmacked to be offered Maple syrup on a cheese omelet I had ordered for breakfast, who would do that? there is so much sugar in every type of food we ate and even the bread served with various meals tasted sweet, nothing like we are used to here. By the time the holiday was over I was craving toast with vegemite!!

The size of the meals served in any of the hotels we stayed in was a real shocker, by the end of the stay I was ordering child size meals, which to be honest were not that much smaller I was gobsmacked to be offered Maple syrup on a cheese omelet I had ordered for breakfast, who would do that? there is so much sugar in every type of food we ate and even the bread served with various meals tasted sweet, nothing like we are used to here. By the time the holiday was over I was craving toast with vegemite!!
😹😹

I couldn't wait to get home from USA, because you cannot get a decent coffee ANYWHERE. As I approached Maccas, after security I said, quick, a large Latte please, and boy, did it go down well.
Coffee must be good here my jade plants are thriving on it😂truely.

Last edited:
Those ready to buy fake cappuccinos etc in supermarkets have creamer in it, totally unacceptable, expensive and so unhealthy! Easy yes and maybe even tasty but a big no no.
Vegetable oil is #1 for inflammatory conditions.
‘Canadian coffee is pretty bad but it’s improving and many people have coffe machines at home too like my son.

Reactions: Bridgit
Not just coffee.
Too many things are presented to us as natural when jn fact they are laced with additives and preservatives.
I grew up without shop bought anything. It was not a commune or anything like that. It was simply a case of living on what we grew ourself. We also had a good variety of animals, including a milk cow. She was a lovely Jersey called Jenny. One of my jobs was to make the household butter. I got such surprise when I saw a store bought butter. When I made it, the natural colour was white, like milk. Why did manufacturers think it was necessary to put yellow colour in it.
If we wanted milk in something, it came from Jenny. It seems the Americas and Canada ran out of cows. Can see no other logical reasoning for inventing creamer.

I've been to the States many times (my sister lives in Seattle) and quite agree about the sugar content in their food, especially in bread. I was also craving fresh fruit and vegetables and a good 7 seed Coles loaf when I got home.

Reactions: Gaena
Let’s face it, we love our coffee. Whether it’s a morning latte or an after-lunch flat white—we simply won’t settle for anything less than the best.

But for one Canadian expat, this dedication to good coffee had him completely up in arms.

Josiah Hein was on a domestic flight to the Gold Coast when he requested a coffee with ‘creamer’, only to be met with utter confusion from the flight attendant.

While the ‘usual’ for most Aussies is to receive a little packet of whole milk when they order coffee on flights, Josiah pointed out that in the United States, where he had recently been, people get something called 'creamer' instead.

In spite of its misleading name, ‘creamer’ is far from real cream. Instead, it's a substitute made out of evaporated milk solids, vegetable oil, corn syrup, and a mix of additives and preservatives.

'Flying back to Australia, and I ordered a coffee,' he said in his now-famous social media video from the plane.

View attachment 31030
Approximately 75 per cent of Australian adults enjoy a daily cup of coffee, and among them, 28% savour at least three cups daily. Image source: Pixabay

‘There’s no creamer, they offered me milk. A stark contrast between North America and Australia.’

‘They are literally just adding milk to their coffees. They don’t know what creamer is.’

Many people in the comments were surprised at Josiah's reaction while pointing out that milk is a much healthier option.

‘In Australia, we don't need 'creamer,' because our coffee is actually good,’ one commented. ‘We know what 'creamer' is; we also know what it is made from.’

‘Coffee 'creamer' is poison,’ another wrote. ‘In Australia, we only put natural ingredients in our coffee, not chemicals.’

‘We know what it is, we just refuse to acknowledge it,’ another user said. ‘We don’t want everything to taste like diabetes.’

Upon reaching his destination, Josiah also observed how laid-back Australians were compared to Americans at the baggage carousel.

Josiah was taken aback when he received milk instead of 'creamer'. Video source: Social media (@josiahhein)

‘I don’t think Australians care as much, a little bit less uptight up in here. That is my impression.’

'It’s not a lack of care, it’s an abundance of care,' another stressed. 'We care about being courteous and giving space.'

Key Takeaways

• A Canadian expat was surprised by Australians using milk instead of creamer in coffee.
  • This happened on a domestic flight to the Gold Coast, confusing the flight attendant.
  • On social media, many praised milk as a healthier choice and noted Australians' preference for natural ingredients in coffee.
  • The Canadian also observed a cultural difference at baggage claim, with Australians being more relaxed and courteous compared to Americans.
Members, have you ever experienced culture shock while visiting another country? If so, what aspects of the culture surprised or intrigued you the most? Share your experiences with us below!

You absolute wanker,!

View attachment 31030

Key Takeaways

It's a wonder he didn't want maple syrup in his coffee - i heard Canadians put Maple syrup in/on EVERYTHING!

pfft! Creamer is just one more reason that US coffee is not as good as Melbourne coffee

I love a good coffee , never have instant coffee . Use the coffee grinds for my garden and also crush up the eggshells , good for tomatoes apparently.
If I am in certain areas , i
I have a list with café’s who make good coffees . There are still some dodgy shops around who serve not a decent coffee.

I love a good coffee , never have instant coffee . Use the coffee grinds for my garden and also crush up the eggshells , good for tomatoes apparently.
If I am in certain areas , i
I have a list with café’s who make good coffees . There are still some dodgy shops around who serve not a decent coffee.
Coffee grinds good for jade diluted and certain other plants my jades thriving and egg shells keep snails away they hate them killed all my snails.

Reactions: PattiB
Coffee in Canada is like brown dish water - absolutely disgusting. Spent two months there on holidays - no coffee after the first day…. Touch down in Australia, through customs, luggage collection and next good Australian coffee!!

View attachment 31030

Key Takeaways

drink it black. no problems then.

When you go to other countries you expect things to be different thats alot of the point to travelling. You either give it a try or go home just don't upset the people of the country you are visiting.

Reactions: Viellarde
You can still buy creamer in the supermarkets here. It's Coffee Mate by Nestle. Exactly correct ... full of unwelcome ingredients.
They can shove their coffee. It's percolated rubbish!