The 'secret weapon' against rising fuel prices – right at your fingertips!

These days, all we can do is look back fondly and remember when unleaded fuel in Australia cost only about $1.10 per litre. The good old days... we used to have it so good, didn't we?

Nowadays, fuel prices are reportedly going up at the fastest rate since 1990, and drivers are feeling the pinch at the pump.

Petrol prices have hit all-time highs, following the pattern of the worldwide increase in the cost of crude oil, which has seen its price more than double in the previous year.

That's why we, as drivers, are also doing everything we can to save on petrol. Because every dollar you save on fuel, no matter how big or small the amount, adds up and can make a huge difference.

Thankfully, fuel applications have made refuelling a breeze, allowing us to relax without worrying about our bank accounts drying up.

V67yYo-pnjOhfeVdS7r-n_-Gj4IzQguhVAA3E17LVUn0CDwQT24L5faIUz-I0WDUy-wz5pmDb03kufCCK4vHXrtA-OZCR_ePCv1cWlry0FLRTdS3_yqN2Ydi2aXXlEnTxnm4Tb4Cx6SfyJ-j9O_p9kU

The My 7-Eleven app has been dubbed a 'secret weapon' against rising fuel prices. Credit: Convenience World.

On social media, several Aussie motorists are raving about a 'secret weapon' they use to combat rising petrol prices. According to a mum from Melbourne, she uses the My 7-Eleven app to 'lock in' the price of fuel for seven days.

'It pays to have the 7-Eleven fuel app as fuel stations [prices] are going up - as you can see, you can lock it in and use it at any one,' she wrote in a Facebook post.

The woman also attached photos showing the difference between the daily petrol price and her locked-in rate. On the day she went to the petrol station, Supreme+ 98 fuel cost $2.15 per litre, but her locked-in rate was $1.72.

She was able to save $13.94 total by using the app, bringing her overall petrol expense down from $70.02 to $56.08.

So how do you use it?

The My 7-Eleven mobile app's 'Fuel Lock' feature lets you search for 7-Eleven stores near you that sell your prefered type of petrol and finds the best price.

You can then 'lock in' your best local price for a certain type of fuel (up to 150 litres) for up to 7 days on your app. You don't have to drive to that location either! You can claim the cheaper fuel price at any 7-Eleven petrol station.

This means that even if the petrol prices go up tremendously in the following days, you will be able to 'claim' your petrol at a fixed price.

And if petrol prices have gone down? Don't worry; you can simply pay the lower pump price. There's no obligation to use your locked-in price, and no fees involved (besides paying for the petrol).

Win-win situation! This is pretty convenient, right? As it turns out, the mum's not the only one doing this nifty trick!

Several commenters have lauded the application, saying it allowed them to secure fuel rates as low as $1.50 per litre.

'Just filled up on 91 at $1.52,' one person wrote, while another added: 'Around us has been down to $1.50 something, so I locked in at $1.53, and they all started going up to $1.93.'

Credit: RMK Management.

If you're interested in having big savings like them at the pump, here's what you need to do!

First, download the My 7-Eleven app (available on Google Play or App Store) on your mobile device or smartphone. Don't worry; it's free of charge.

Once you have the application downloaded and ready, simply open it, and you'll find yourself on the home screen.

Here, you have the option of registering for a My 7-Eleven account. But if you have one already, you can just sign in!

In one of the menu options below, you can see the Fuel Price Lock feature (along with Offers, Rewards, and Settings).

Clicking it will take you to the Fuel Price Lock screen, where you can go ahead and choose the type of fuel you want to purchase.

Remember, folks – only the prefered Mobil fuel type that you chose in the app is eligible for your fuel price lock. If you switch types of fuel when you fill up, you have to pay the pump price.

After choosing your preferred fuel, you can now find the best local fuel price amongst the wide range of 7-Eleven locations in your area. (The app's Best Local Price does not compare prices offered by other fuel retailers.)

Once you've found a petrol location that offers the best prices, just go ahead and lock it in! After that, the mobile application will show you your locked fuel price for the Mobil fuel you chose.

All that's left is to fill up at any 7-Eleven fuel store and scan your My card at the counter to redeem your activated Fuel Lock or any app-exclusive deals that you have bought as well.

A Fuel Lock will automatically expire exactly 7 days after you activate it unless you redeem it sooner. On the app, you can see when a Fuel Lock that has been activated will stop working.

fZ9NMxEXMMQOuRYjkCXux094iqnSpERlGRaZprf-NBQvQvwQg5GL2sJafGvFhOmwYIiGmrG5_A7rzhmGMWYPGqM52bGCtwencuA5-b7CTI6zl_ImR8lwGpm8qX0fo5ozoVRe6LXTnVzt-fYmI0Owz0Q

You cannot cancel an activated Fuel Lock. You must either redeem it or wait for it to expire. Credit: 7 Eleven Australia.

So there you have it, folks! If you're looking to save money on fuel and are also an avid 7-Eleven customer at the same time, this app is pretty much made for you.

For more information, head over to its website, or you can also explore its Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page.

Members, we hope this tip will help you! If you have more fuel-saving tips and apps you want to share with the rest of us, please feel free to leave them in the comments.

Sponsored
I used to buy 91 fuel but worked out that 98 is cheaper in the long run, and cleaner too, as it doesn't contain 10% other fillers which clog up engines, and gives more KMs to the litre.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci