The Secret Parking Rule That Could Cost You Big – Man Fined Right Outside His Home!

Navigating the maze of road rules can sometimes feel like a game of chance, especially when it comes to the lesser-known laws that can catch even the most conscientious driver off guard. One Canberra man learned this the hard way when he was slapped with a fine for a parking error he didn't even know was a mistake – right outside his own home.

The man, who had recently returned to Canberra from Melbourne, was bewildered to receive a penalty notice for parking in the opposite direction of traffic. He took to social media to voice his frustration, labelling the fine as 'an abuse of resources' and questioning its necessity on a quiet street far from the hustle and bustle of schools or town centres.

'I had no idea I had a fine. I received a text message from Access Canberra saying I had to pay it in two days — I thought it was a scam, so I looked into it. Turns out, I actually did get one, and I was very confused as to why,' he explained. The reason cited for the fine was that he had 'reverse parallel parked unsafely in the opposite direction of traffic.'

1726030544810.png
A Canberra man contested a fine for parking against traffic, calling it 'revenue raising.' Credit: Reddit

The driver was particularly surprised by the method of enforcement, claiming that a 'licence plate recognition van' was responsible for his predicament. He believed such technology was reserved for monitoring more critical areas, not the quiet street where he parked.

The image of his car, parked outside his house, sparked a debate among locals after he posted it online. While some sympathised with his situation, others were quick to point out that, regardless of the location, he was in clear violation of the law.

'Society is pretty sad when they have to find you like this. Feeling nothing but empathy for you,' one person commented. However, another was more blunt: 'Bottom line is that you were parked illegally, got nabbed and basically don’t have a leg to stand on in court. Learn from it, pay the fine and move on.'

The driver's plea for advice on whether to challenge the fine was met with a mix of support and realism. 'You can't fight this. No jurisdictions in Australia allow parking the wrong way on the street as they do in England, so you can't claim ignorance from moving from Melbourne,' a third person advised.

The ACT Government was clear on the matter. Speaking to Yahoo News Australia, a spokesperson emphasised the importance of parking in the direction of traffic flow. 'This rule seeks to prevent motorists from positioning their vehicles in dangerous places on the road or driving on the wrong side of the road,' they explained. The infringement associated with parking in the opposite direction of traffic carries a fine of $137.

In the ACT, parking fines as of July 1, 2023, range from $128 to $640, a hefty sum that can make a significant dent in anyone's wallet. Access Canberra's legislation is explicit: drivers must adhere to all road rules, including those that may seem trivial or unnecessary in certain contexts.

For our Senior Discount Club members, this serves as a reminder to stay vigilant about the ever-evolving road rules. It's easy to overlook the small details, but as this story shows, they can lead to big fines. Always ensure you're parked legally, and if you're unsure about a specific rule, it's worth taking the time to look it up or ask local authorities.

Key Takeaways
  • A Canberra man received a fine for parking his car in the opposite direction of traffic outside his house, which he contested as 'revenue raising.'
  • The man was alerted to the fine via text message and an email from Access Canberra, which he initially thought was a scam.
  • Australians on social media advised him that fighting the fine would be futile, as the law clearly prohibits parking against the direction of traffic.
  • Access Canberra and ACT Government officials confirm the parking rule is in place for safety reasons, with fines for such parking offences in the ACT ranging from $128 to $640 as of July 1, 2023.
Have you ever been caught out by a surprising road rule? Share your experiences in the comments below, and let's help each other stay informed and fine-free!

Sponsored
Eejit.
This law applies nationwide, and logically follows from the road rule which states that a driver must at all times keep left unless overtaking, or is driving on a one-way street. To park as this eejit did, by definition he has crossed the middle of the road. Worse still, when he goes to leave the spot he'll be on the wrong side of the road until he deigns to return to the proper side. No sympathy. Pay the fine.

Either the photo is reversed or there's more than just a person parking in the wrong direction going on.

It looks like it's a one way street and the first vehicle has entered the street travelling in the wrong direction.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
agree with all. the rule has been around from when I got my license in 74 and no doubt before that. The driver side of the car is meant to be exposed to the road, not the front passenger door. And he was facing the wrong way when parked.

Such a shame that the reason why it's a rule was not explained fully. Cars have deliniators 'reflextive red pieces' that are only on the rear of the vehicle so that drivers can see that they are on the correct side of the road when they sun or night lights from your vehicle shine on them. Of coarse the cars on the other side of the road 'oncoming' are white. It's plain and simple a safety issue together with driving the wrong way on the road when parking'.

Either the photo is reversed or there's more than just a person parking in the wrong direction going on.

It looks like it's a one way street and the first vehicle has entered the street travelling in the wrong direction.
My thoughts too!

And it doesn't look like a "quiet residential back street". More like a US side street.

He would've been told this rule when he had driving lessons so no excuse and then to whinge about it just shows how entitled he believes himself to be.

Clarification of the article and photo is required. If it is a one way street and the direction of flow is as the others are parked then he is in the wrong and has entered from the wrong way. If however it is a 2 way street then the black Hyundai is correctly parked and the others are wrong.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Clarification of the article and photo is required. If it is a one way street and the direction of flow is as the others are parked then he is in the wrong and has entered from the wrong way. If however it is a 2 way street then the black Hyundai is correctly parked and the others are wrong.
On closer examination, it's certainly not a flipped photo, the Hyundai badge is the correct way around.

Europe is like the U.S. they all drive on the right.

There was an article here recently where a driver had gone to the beach & had parked facing against the traffic & was also fined for parking in this manner.

Apparently the beach was on the driver's right & instead of finding somewhere to do a 'U Turn' just illegally crossed the unbroken white line & parked the vehicle.