The SDC’s Novelty Hot Cross Bun Rankings 2024

As we all know, once Christmas and the New Year pass us by, supermarkets are quick to add hot cross buns to their shelves. Lucky for us, they also like to experiment with strange novelty flavours each year. Since these are notoriously hit or miss, we’ve decided to try them for you (selfless, I know) to see if it’s worth the cost or just an expensive gimmick.

We’ll continue to update this article after each taste test.

Let the snacking begin!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-03-25 at 12.55.00 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-25 at 12.55.00 pm.png
    150.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
We tried the Iced Vo Vo hot cross buns from Coles. A little sweet but nice and a nice change from the norm. Now they are out of stock and item has been deleted from their records and it is not even Easter yet. Looks like we won't be having these for Easter 😞

Absolutely loved the Iced Vovo hot cross buns, would certainly eat them again if only I could get my hands on them. Also love, love, love the Vegemite & Cheese hot cross buns.
As for the Arnott's Shapes hot cross buns 🤮🤮🤮🤮 defiantly not a fan.

Reactions: ECassidy
Hey you lot, better watch out. Being nearly easter again could mean dangerous times.
I mean what do ya get if you make the easter rabbit mad? You get a hot cross bunny.
Take it from me, you don't want to make the easter rabbit mad at all, oh no

Last edited:
I froze a pack of Iced Vovos and 2 Vegemites. I am glad I did. I love them. Regular ones are still my all time favourite.

Reactions: Ezzy
The diabetic in me, says only one. I like the no fruit one. I was considering the vegemite & cheese, but I have problems with vegemite. So I brought the fruit HCB and then added my own promite. Toast the bun first, real butter and then as much or little promite as you want. The novelty flavours are far to sweet for my diabetic, and the pizza shape was far to spicy. Apple & cinnamon, nice, great toasted with promite.

Reactions: Ezzy