The rise of taxidermy rates: Would you be willing to keep your pet with you forever?

Content warning: Please be aware this article contains discussions of animal death, grief and taxidermy, and may be distressing to some readers.

Losing a pet is never easy. They become part of the family, and their loss can leave a gaping hole in our lives.

Many of us try to keep our furry friends close to us even after they're gone by framing photos of them or displaying their collars and tags somewhere visible in the house.

But what if there was a way to keep them with us forever?

Enter taxidermy: an age-old art form that's been enjoying a resurgence in popularity as more and more people look for unique ways to memorialise their beloved pets.

Taxidermy, for those who may not be familiar, is the preparation, stuffing, skinning, and/or mounting of an animal, typically for show or research. But in these cases, taxidermy is done for remembrance.

Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 6.41.05 AM.png
More and more pet owners are considering taxidermy for their deceased companions. Credit: Facebook.

A Melbourne-based taxidermist named Maddy Grant has been sharing her work on social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, and TikTok, where she has amassed thousands of followers who tune in to see her latest creations.

And many of those creations are former pets that have been turned into pelts or full-body mounts for their owners to keep forever.

'Many people want a physical reminder of their pet, whether it's to see their pet peacefully sleeping in their bed, the feeling of their pet's fur or even their skull,' said Ms Grant.

She also added that, nowadays, more and more pet owners are considering the option. Some people have their pets turned into full taxidermied pieces that they can display in their homes; others opt for less life-like keepsakes like skull preservation or pelt tanning.

But regardless of the form it takes, taxidermy provides grieving pet owners with a physical reminder of their furry (or not-so-furry) friend that they can keep forever.

Of course, not everyone is comfortable with the idea of taxidermy – and that's perfectly understandable! It definitely isn't for everyone, as seen in the comments section of a now-viral TikTok video of a family's beloved Golden Retriever turned into a pelt.

'I have mixed feelings about this; not sure if I could do it…' one user wrote, while another went on to say, 'My memories give me peace. I couldn't do this; it would make it harder for me.'

But for those who are considering it, there are plenty of skilled professionals out there who can help you create a beautiful tribute to your pet that you'll cherish forever.

Ms Grant said she understands people's differing opinions of her work but that being able to bring some comfort to grieving families is by far the most rewarding part of being a pet taxidermist.

'This art form is definitely not for everyone, and I respect that,' she said. 'I'm just happy to help the people that want to memorialise their pets this way.'
Key Takeaways

• Many people are interested in taxidermy for their pets, as it provides a physical reminder.
  • The process of taxidermy can be emotionally difficult for some people but is rewarding for others.
  • The increase in popularity of pet memorialisation has led to more people considering taxidermy as an option.
So, what do you think, members? Would you ever consider taxidermy for your beloved pet? Or do you think it's a bit too much? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

• Sad
Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
Sponsored
My prior pets all reside in my back garden, each with a special tree, bush or other plant to mark their places.:)
Like most normal people!!
Even though I don't much like her, I love this quote by Ellen DeGeneres

'I ask people why they have deer heads on their walls. They always say because it's such a beautiful animal. There you go. I think my mother is attractive, but I have photographs of her'​

I do t have a nice big garden, so while my birds were buried in a big pot plant (mandarin tree), the dogs have been cremated and their ashes are sitting in nice wooden boxes in my place. Taxidermie freaks me out!!!

Content warning: Please be aware this article contains discussions of animal death, grief and taxidermy, and may be distressing to some readers.

Losing a pet is never easy. They become part of the family, and their loss can leave a gaping hole in our lives.

Many of us try to keep our furry friends close to us even after they're gone by framing photos of them or displaying their collars and tags somewhere visible in the house.

Enter taxidermy: an age-old art form that's been enjoying a resurgence in popularity as more and more people look for unique ways to memorialise their beloved pets.

Taxidermy, for those who may not be familiar, is the preparation, stuffing, skinning, and/or mounting of an animal, typically for show or research. But in these cases, taxidermy is done for remembrance.

View attachment 8529
More and more pet owners are considering taxidermy for their deceased companions. Credit: Facebook.

A Melbourne-based taxidermist named Maddy Grant has been sharing her work on social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, and TikTok, where she has amassed thousands of followers who tune in to see her latest creations.

And many of those creations are former pets that have been turned into pelts or full-body mounts for their owners to keep forever.

'Many people want a physical reminder of their pet, whether it's to see their pet peacefully sleeping in their bed, the feeling of their pet's fur or even their skull,' said Ms Grant.

She also added that, nowadays, more and more pet owners are considering the option. Some people have their pets turned into full taxidermied pieces that they can display in their homes; others opt for less life-like keepsakes like skull preservation or pelt tanning.

But regardless of the form it takes, taxidermy provides grieving pet owners with a physical reminder of their furry (or not-so-furry) friend that they can keep forever.

Of course, not everyone is comfortable with the idea of taxidermy – and that's perfectly understandable! It definitely isn't for everyone, as seen in the comments section of a now-viral TikTok video of a family's beloved Golden Retriever turned into a pelt.

'I have mixed feelings about this; not sure if I could do it…' one user wrote, while another went on to say, 'My memories give me peace. I couldn't do this; it would make it harder for me.'

But for those who are considering it, there are plenty of skilled professionals out there who can help you create a beautiful tribute to your pet that you'll cherish forever.

Ms Grant said she understands people's differing opinions of her work but that being able to bring some comfort to grieving families is by far the most rewarding part of being a pet taxidermist.

'This art form is definitely not for everyone, and I respect that,' she said. 'I'm just happy to help the people that want to memorialise their pets this way.'
Key Takeaways

• Many people are interested in taxidermy for their pets, as it provides a physical reminder.
  • The process of taxidermy can be emotionally difficult for some people but is rewarding for others.
  • The increase in popularity of pet memorialisation has led to more people considering taxidermy as an option.
So, what do you think, members? Would you ever consider taxidermy for your beloved pet? Or do you think it's a bit too much? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

No I prefered to bury in my garden and now she is keeping my beautiful plants going, and I go past her spot each day and only have good memories. However to each his own if the cremation and keeping of ashes is what you like I say go for it!

View attachment 8529

Key Takeaways

I have already lost my boy Rockie, but have solice knowing he is no longer in pain,
no I could not bear having his stuffed body close but unresponsive.
I now have 2 girls I must put them in my will should they outlive me.
Stinker

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
We've given a home to 4 refuge dogs now. 3 have passed, were cremated & are in their own urn on our t.v. cupboard. The 4th lives with us now & should we outlive her the same will happen to her.

I could not imagine sending any of our furbabies to a taxidermist. My memories are in my mind & photos. Thinking of their loss still upsets me.
Our daughters have instructions that their ashes are to be spread with ours. (Not sure if this is legal, but who will know anyway?)

Reactions: Ricci