The Project's Kate Langbroek reveals reason for rejecting electric cars

As technology advances, it also introduces new ways that redefine our daily life.

From smartphones and smart home devices, we are now seeing the advent of electric vehicles (EVs) on the streets.

In a candid exchange on The Project, Kate Langbroek revealed her staunch opposition to jumping on the EV bandwagon—a stance that led to a fiery debate.

In a conversation aired on live TV, Langbroek expressed her personal scepticism about the practicality of EVs.

'Isn't it funny that when we don't want something that we're supposed to want, it's called "misinformation"?' she questioned, challenging the narrative that EVs are a 'must-have'.

'The reason I don't have one is because of information—I don't want to have to wait four hours to charge my car,' she explained.

compressed-theproject.jpeg
The Project hosts Kate Langbroek and Waleed Aly had varying opinions on electric vehicles, fuelling a heated discussion on-air. Image Credit: YouTube/The Project

Langbroek's circumstances further fuel her reluctance.

'I don't have a garage. I don't have off-street parking. How am I going to charge my car?' she asked.

Her comments came after fluctuating EV sales, as several reports indicated a 44 per cent drop in Tesla sales in April despite slashing prices.

The downward trend is not isolated to Tesla; overall EV sales were down by five per cent despite their growing popularity over the past three years.

Her co-presenter, Waleed Aly, quickly countered Langbroek's position, suggesting that her concerns were overblown.

'All you're doing is comparing last year to this year and then saying they're down five per cent at a time of a cost of living crisis,' he retorted, implying that the decline in sales could be attributed to broader economic pressures.

The debate took an unexpected turn when Langbroek questioned the decision to run the story on EV sales at all, to which Aly could only respond with, 'I don't know.'

Co-host Sarah Harris indicated that the EV market might be saturated with early adopters who already purchased their vehicles.

'I think you get the early adopters with any new technology, right? Everyone rushes towards it, like when the iPhone comes out,' Harris pointed out.

Langbroek likened the adoption of electric cars to the rise and fall of CD players.

'It's like how my dad was with a CD player, and you know what? It turned out he was right! Who has a CD player now?' Langbroek followed up.

Her comparison highlighted the uncertainty that can accompany new technology and the possibility that innovations may not stand the test of time.

Despite the debate, the EV market continues to evolve, with significant price reductions making headlines.

Tesla's Model Y saw a $11,400 price cut, while the Peugeot e2008 and GWM Ora also became more affordable.

These price adjustments reflect a dynamic industry finding its footing in the market.

The federal government's projections for EV adoption have also seen a dramatic shift.

Prior to the 2022 federal election, Labor anticipated that 89 per cent of new car sales would be EVs by 2030.

However, recent estimates from the Federal Transport Department suggest that EVs may only account for 27 per cent of new car sales by the same year—a drastic drop from the initial estimate.

You may watch Langbroek and Aly’s discussion here:

Source: The Project/YouTube

Langbroek's candid remarks ignited a broader conversation about electric vehicles and its future in Australia.

As the nation grapples with the challenges of transitioning to cleaner energy and sustainable modes of transportation, debates like this one underscore the considerations that come into play—whether personal or communal.
Key Takeaways

• The Project host Kate Langbroek expressed her resistance to purchasing an electric vehicle, citing personal concerns and its drop in popularity.
  • Co-host Waleed Aly countered Langbroek's criticisms by mentioning the overall context of a cost of living crisis affecting sales figures.
  • Tesla sales, along with other electric vehicles (EVs), decreased despite price drops and increased popularity over the past three years.
  • The discussion also highlighted issues such as the initial rave of new technologies often observed in consumer electronics.
How about you, members—have you considered purchasing an EV, or do you share Langbroek's reservations? Join the conversation and let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Our local council CEO thought he was doing the right thing purchasing an EV. 3 months later he sold it. Being rural and having to travel to the city regularly, he always had to go out of his way to recharge on the way there and back. I’m sure they’re great for the suburbs but for country drivers, forget it!
family member owns an EV and says range anxiety is very real!

We are a two-car family my husband has one for work and I have mine, a couple of years ago my car was starting to cost a bit of money to run so we decided to up-grade. I bought a MG - oh a dream come true, even if the car is black not red, the only problem I have with it and I should have checked it out before hand is the fact that once the boot is up, I cannot reach it to put back down so all the shopping is on the back seat. I had thought of investing in a Tommy Tippe stool.

Adding to my earlier post it was the first time ever we have not only owned a brand-new car but one in the same era. It was in the same price range as many used cars, and I cannot put into words how excited I was

Reactions: Ezzy
We are a two-car family my husband has one for work and I have mine, a couple of years ago my car was starting to cost a bit of money to run so we decided to up-grade. I bought a MG - oh a dream come true, even if the car is black not red, the only problem I have with it and I should have checked it out before hand is the fact that once the boot is up, I cannot reach it to put back down so all the shopping is on the back seat. I had thought of investing in a Tommy Tippe stool.
I used to carry a stool with me in the bus when I worked in disability. First time out in the new bus I had to ask a member of the public to pull the back door down. I wasnt getting caught like that again lol

• Haha
Reactions: Ezzy and Marilynne
Our local council CEO thought he was doing the right thing purchasing an EV. 3 months later he sold it. Being rural and having to travel to the city regularly, he always had to go out of his way to recharge on the way there and back. I’m sure they’re great for the suburbs but for country drivers, forget it!
family member owns an EV and says range anxiety is very real!
Thats my concern with getting and EV. We live in Regional Victoria plus we drive to Sydney pretty often, I think I’d be stressing about where I would be charging it. When the time comes for a new car I’m pretty sure we won’t get an EV

One of my bucket lists is to leave Mebourne and acroos the Nullbour to Perh anf Freo, the up the coast to down then back through the centre disregarding the rock, spend a bit of time Coober Pedy then home. I'll do it by desel or petrol definitely not Electic unles i'm towing a generator which would defeat the purpose?

One of my bucket lists is to leave Mebourne and acroos the Nullbour to Perh anf Freo, the up the coast to down then back through the centre disregarding the rock, spend a bit of time Coober Pedy then home. I'll do it by desel or petrol definitely not Electic unles i'm towing a generator which would defeat the purpose?
Wish you the very best @ Luckyus. Be a great trip to cross off your Bucket List.

Reactions: Marilynne and DLHM
Thats my concern with getting and EV. We live in Regional Victoria plus we drive to Sydney pretty often, I think I’d be stressing about where I would be charging it. When the time comes for a new car I’m pretty sure we won’t get an EV
There are Apps showing charging stations on route. Same as service stations.

Reactions: Ezzy and Marilynne