The next apple of Australia’s eye? Unique apple variety turns heads

In the land down under, where unique flora and fauna are as common as the sunny skies, a new fruit sensation is capturing the hearts of Australians.

The Redlove apple, a marvel of horticultural innovation, was developed in Switzerland by cross-breeding various apple types.

This apple variety is quickly growing in popularity across Australia, and for good reason.

The Redlove apple, with its vibrant red insides and charming heart shape when quartered, is not just a feast for the eyes, but also a boon for health-conscious individuals.

Since its introduction to Australia in 2018, it has been exclusively grown commercially by the cooperative Lenswood Apples in the Adelaide Hills, a region known for its pristine environment and ideal growing conditions.

compressed-shutterstock_1196553427.jpeg
Redlove apples are gaining popularity across Australia due to look and additional health benefits. Credits: Shutterstock

So what sets the Redlove apple apart from its peers?

For starters, its unique red flesh is not just visually striking, but also packed with 15-20 per cent more antioxidants compared to other varieties.

Antioxidants are crucial in maintaining cell health, and are believed to play a role in preventing a range of diseases.

The Redlove apple's high antioxidant content and its tart and slightly sweet flavour make it a standout choice for those looking to add a nutritious and delicious twist to their diet.

Hamish Franks, the Commercial Manager at Lenswood Apples, highlighted the apple's distinct characteristics.

‘From the outside, it looks like a standard red apple with a red skin. It's not until you cut it in half, or that you take a bite, that you realise it has a red flesh,’ he said in 2018.

‘Its taste is similar to a Granny Smith: tart, sharp, and only a little bit sweet.’

Its tart flavour makes it a perfect addition to any cheese platter, and it also complements it in another aspect.

‘Because of the red pigmentation, when it's cut and put on a cheeseboard, it doesn't oxidise as quickly as a white-flesh apple would,’ Mr Franks explained.

Moreover, when cooked, the red flesh becomes even more vivid, adding a splash of colour to baked desserts and pastries.

While the commercial cultivation of Redlove apples is limited to the Adelaide Hills, the seeds are available for private gardeners who wish to try growing this unique variety.

Social media was abuzz with enthusiastic home growers also sharing their culinary creations and growing tips online.

‘I have been growing one for four years this year; the fruit is beautiful,’ one said.

‘I have a tree and have realised the longer you leave them on the tree, the sweeter they get, but still have a slight tartness to them,’ another shared.

‘We've been eating them for years here in Tassie,’ a third chimed. ‘They make a beautiful Dutch apple cake.’

As Australians increasingly embrace the unique taste and qualities of the Redlove apple, growers find themselves navigating a shifting landscape in the fruit market amidst a clash with major retailers like Coles and Woolworths.

Concerning other varieties of apple, this clash unveils secrets within the Australian agricultural industry, shedding light on the challenges faced by growers about market dynamics and consumer preferences.
Key Takeaways
  • Redlove apples, recognised for their red insides and heart shape when quartered, are growing in popularity across Australia.
  • The only commercial grower of Redlove apples in Australia is located in the Adelaide Hills, and is part of a growers' co-operative named Lenswood Apples.
  • These apples are 15-20 per cent higher in antioxidants than other varieties, and have a tart taste, making them ideal for cheese boards, and for retaining colour in baked desserts.
  • Redloves were developed in Switzerland through cross-breeding, and have been available in Australia since 2018, with seeds also available for private garden cultivation.
Have you had the chance to taste the Redlove Apple or perhaps even grown it in your garden? We'd love to hear about your experiences with this extraordinary fruit in the comments below!

Sponsored
I used to wait all year for the Jonathon's to come out. My favourite of all the apples that has disappeared into the bowels of the universe.
If you type in jonathon and Granny Smith apples it’ll tell you what’s going on with them. You can still buy them and also you could also get a small tree and grow your own if you really want.😊

Reactions: MariaG and DLHM
I have never seen them either. I’m guessing if they are not available to be grown by multiple growers they will be too expensive for most people to buy anyway.

If you type in jonathon and Granny Smith apples it’ll tell you what’s going on with them. You can still buy them and also you could also get a small tree and grow your own if you really want.😊
I'd love to plant a tree, however, am without a garden.
I'll just have to make do with Jazz or Pink Lady. Wouldn't mind trying those red ones, but they most likely are a niche market never to see the light of day in Newcastle.

Reactions: Littleboy8