SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
M

Maddison Dwyer

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 20, 2021
The Last Post

Members, thank you so much for joining us for our newsletter Dawn Service. It truly is remarkable that we are able to do this online, together, as a community.

It was so difficult choosing which Last Post video captured our hearts the most. After watching multiple online, I chose the below video uploaded by the Royal Australian Air Force in 2012. Today is an emotional day, and I feel this video captures the emotions we all feel quite beautifully.

Please do not forget to pause for a minute of silence after the completion of The Last Post.

Please pause for a minute of silence.

This marks the conclusion of our newsletter Dawn Service. Thank you for being a part of it.

Lest We Forget.

SDC-email-logo-Anzac.png

Last edited:
Thank you. My father Lionel Pink (RIP) is no longer with us having passed last year.

Dad was the bugler for the 8th RAR stationed in Karrakata W.A.
My father did not go to war because the officers mess evidently liked his talent in their mess hall and wanted the next regiment to have a bugler in place and so unbeknown to my father who packed with his mates to go, they didn't send him.

When the next contingent arrived and discovered that the camp bugler didn't go with them overseas, they were very hard on him, and he received scorn on a daily basis. My father never really recovered from that, because he really wanted to serve with his mates.

Seeing the bugler play, it is easy to superimpose my father there and remind myself of the great sacrifices so many made, and the ENORMOUS number of mistakes made by those in placed in positions of great authority, a thing that continues to this very day.

Hopefully we no longer allow our fighting forces to be directed by other nations who have an entirely different perspective on life. Because away from the result of war, if there's one thing that War has shown us, it's that when left to our own devices under our own leadership Australia's defense forces can do far more than hold their own! lest we forget

Thank you. My father Lionel Pink (RIP) is no longer with us having passed last year.

Dad was the bugler for the 8th RAR stationed in Karrakata W.A.
My father did not go to war because the officers mess evidently liked his talent in their mess hall and wanted the next regiment to have a bugler in place and so unbeknown to my father who packed with his mates to go, they didn't send him.

When the next contingent arrived and discovered that the camp bugler didn't go with them overseas, they were very hard on him, and he received scorn on a daily basis. My father never really recovered from that, because he really wanted to serve with his mates.

Seeing the bugler play, it is easy to superimpose my father there and remind myself of the great sacrifices so many made, and the ENORMOUS number of mistakes made by those in placed in positions of great authority, a thing that continues to this very day.

Hopefully we no longer allow our fighting forces to be directed by other nations who have an entirely different perspective on life. Because away from the result of war, if there's one thing that War has shown us, it's that when left to our own devices under our own leadership Australia's defense forces can do far more than hold their own! lest we forget
My father in law was a war photographer unfortunately he lost his leg it got blown off. I’ve got his camera and all the war photos he ever took.r.i.p.colin. You were one of a kind.💖

Reactions: Jo Piper3