Tristeagan

Aug 3, 2022
MARYBOROUGH Victoria
The joy of finding treasures

Sometimes the world feels very mundane, same old, same old. You are one of millions buying the same thing, watching the same movie, reading the same book, experiencing the same 'adventure'.

You might like being part of that big scene, sharing the experience, but not me, I love the unexpected.

Imagine digging in the soil and finding something that was lost many years ago, perhaps by early prospectors or settlers.

Going into an op shop and finding something your granny might have had in her kitchen or sewing box, something never seen or used any more.

Going to a garage sale and find hand made treasures, jewellery, oddments from overseas.

treasures.jpg
Image Credit: Member @Tristeagan

Rummaging in boxes of junk and finding an old diary, letters from a loved one, photos from the past.

These are my joys - some I pass on to others, some written things I transcribe and share, some I try to return to the family of the original owner who may cherish it. Some I fall in love with myself and they are added to my collections.

Finding these treasures adds an unexpected element to my life, researching their origins and imagining their journeys fills my days, finding them new homes or returning them to loved ones warms my soul.

Life is far from mundane when there are so many forgotten or discarded treasures to uncover.

• Wow
Reactions: Jarred Santos
The joy of finding treasures

Sometimes the world feels very mundane, same old, same old. You are one of millions buying the same thing, watching the same movie, reading the same book, experiencing the same 'adventure'.

You might like being part of that big scene, sharing the experience, but not me, I love the unexpected.

Imagine digging in the soil and finding something that was lost many years ago, perhaps by early prospectors or settlers.

Going into an op shop and finding something your granny might have had in her kitchen or sewing box, something never seen or used any more.

Going to a garage sale and find hand made treasures, jewellery, oddments from overseas.

View attachment 14964
Image Credit: Member @Tristeagan

Rummaging in boxes of junk and finding an old diary, letters from a loved one, photos from the past.

These are my joys - some I pass on to others, some written things I transcribe and share, some I try to return to the family of the original owner who may cherish it. Some I fall in love with myself and they are added to my collections.

Finding these treasures adds an unexpected element to my life, researching their origins and imagining their journeys fills my days, finding them new homes or returning them to loved ones warms my soul.

Life is far from mundane when there are so many forgotten or discarded treasures to uncover.
This is wonderful @Tristeagan, thank you for sharing!

What would you say is the most unique thing you've come across?

This is wonderful @Tristeagan, thank you for sharing!

What would you say is the most unique thing you've come across?
Maybe not the most unique but certainly one of the most satisfying finds was a brass button we found while detecting in the Victorian goldfields. Like many metal buttons, it had the company's name on it. Research led me to discover that it was from the mid 1800's and these buttons were made specifically for sailors clothing by the same company whose name was stamped onto the button. The company was based in Liverpool England - a fitting place considering that was a major shipping town.
Having been involved in genealogy for over forty years, I used my resources to track down descendants of the company owners. The lady in England I corresponded with had researched her family from the time her ancestor first started out as a tailor in the 1700s and gradually expanded into the company creating 'uniforms' for sailors. She had his original tape measure and a few other oddments but although she knew about the buttons, she had never seen one. She was thrilled when I offered to send it to her. I explained to her that it was found buried in the goldfields and whilst we will never know the true story of how it came to be there, at the height of gold rushes, many sailors saw the riches being won and jumped ship to try their luck.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
Maybe not the most unique but certainly one of the most satisfying finds was a brass button we found while detecting in the Victorian goldfields. Like many metal buttons, it had the company's name on it. Research led me to discover that it was from the mid 1800's and these buttons were made specifically for sailors clothing by the same company whose name was stamped onto the button. The company was based in Liverpool England - a fitting place considering that was a major shipping town.
Having been involved in genealogy for over forty years, I used my resources to track down descendants of the company owners. The lady in England I corresponded with had researched her family from the time her ancestor first started out as a tailor in the 1700s and gradually expanded into the company creating 'uniforms' for sailors. She had his original tape measure and a few other oddments but although she knew about the buttons, she had never seen one. She was thrilled when I offered to send it to her. I explained to her that it was found buried in the goldfields and whilst we will never know the true story of how it came to be there, at the height of gold rushes, many sailors saw the riches being won and jumped ship to try their luck.
This is ABSOLUTELY amazing! Did she take you up on your offer to have it sent back home?

Yes, she did and was very happy to add it to her collection - complete with the story of where it came from. Made my day!
Wow, this story made mine too!

Have you ever come across sad stories with the items you found and researched on? Not to be a pessimist or anything, but I've always wondered about the stories objects could tell if they could speak...