The ingenious grocery tip that's putting up to an extra $100 in Aussies' pockets every week!

These days, many of us are feeling the pinch of the skyrocketing cost of living. With energy bills on the rise and petrol costs hitting record highs, our grocery budget has become yet another crucial aspect where we need to find ways to save some precious dollars.

Thankfully, it seems that an increasing number of savvy Aussie seniors are going back to good old-fashioned catalogue browsing to track down the best deals and promotions, and it's putting, on average, up to an extra $100 in their pockets every week!

According to a research study by ShopFully and Nielsen, nearly two-thirds of Aussies are planning their grocery shop in advance by browsing both digital and paper catalogues.

This way, they can compare prices, find the best promotions and deals, and plan their visits accordingly.

Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 3.30.42 PM.png
Aussies are changing their grocery shopping habits to save money. Credit: Unsplash/atoms.

It appears that catalogues have become a popular source of information for many Aussie shoppers, with one in two saying they turn to catalogues before heading in-store. Additionally, 66 per cent of the surveyed group browse digital catalogues at least once a week.

Brendan Straw, ShopFully's country manager of Australia, says that Aussie shoppers are becoming increasingly savvy when it comes to how they spend their money.

'As shoppers continue to feel the cost-of-living pinch, the 'budget-conscious shopper' has become the everyday Australian,' Straw said.

'Consumers who approach spending with a tactical plan having done their research to compare prices can significantly reduce their weekly grocery shop, saving upwards of $50-$100 a week.'

The research also found that 71 per cent of Aussies now seek out the cheapest option while grocery shopping, opting for home-brand or on-sale items. Meanwhile, 67 per cent have stopped buying products altogether due to the impact of price hikes.

So, what else can be done to help us save even more on groceries? Some resourceful shoppers on a popular forum website are sharing their creative ideas.

One user mentioned they had devised an 'inflation diet' to take some advantage of cost variations, which includes meat, nuts, oils, and coffee.

They commented, 'Most of this is from ALDI and Coles. I rarely shop at Woolies as the prices make my eyes water. I rarely eat packaged snack foods now, not by choice but by telling myself things like “You could buy meat for that price!”'

Others have shared tips such as freezing herbs with vinegar to extend their shelf life, buying meat from the local butcher, using dried legumes to bulk up meals, and stocking up on meat and pantry items at Costco.

Key Takeaways

• Nearly two-thirds of Aussies are planning their grocery shop in advance by browsing digital and paper catalogues to find the best deals and promotions.
  • One in two Aussies uses catalogues as their top source of information when planning their in-store visits, with 66% browsing digital catalogues at least once a week.
  • Consumers who compare prices using catalogues can potentially save upwards of $50-$100 per week on their grocery bills.
  • Savvy Aussie shoppers are opting for cheaper options, utilising local butchers, freezing herbs, and stocking up at bulk stores like Costco to save money on groceries.

So, if you're looking to get ahead of the rising cost of living, then make sure you read through catalogues and shop around to find the best deals. Who knows, you, too, could be keeping an extra $50 in your pocket every week!

Got any more shopping tips and tricks to share? Drop them in the comments section below! We're always on the lookout for some extra advice from fellow shoppers. Don't be shy, we'd love to hear from you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: christineamck
Sponsored
You know my mother used to do this, we would start at the very top of the shops. Firstly, it would be the post office because we had to pay for the TV licence, then Coles, then the Butcher, then the fish monger and we would finish at Woolies. I really hated those days.

I was taught this from my mother who always checked to see what was on special, she also brought in bulk when things were on special particularly things such as toilet paper, washing up liquid, cleaning products but also tinned food. Mum was a child of the second world war and the depression so she learnt to look out for bargains that would save her money. She has passed that on to me and I am pleased I have passed that on to my daughter.

Aldi has a few discounts. Coles and Woollies are false advertising with their 50% off sales as the prices at 50% off are the 'real' prices every day.
At Aldi, I prefer to shop out of date stuff that has been discounted.
Depending on the item they are good even 2 years past the expiry date

Reactions: Gsr
I browse the catalogues both paper and online but unless a shop has more than 1/2 items at a really good sale price I just shop at one supermarket. I don’t have the time or energy to go to more shops chasing specials. As I get older I am beginning to go shopping less, I just can’t be bothered until I really have to. I don’t like online grocery shopping as too many almost out of date or inferior quality items are included, I’m guessing this is the shops way of cutting some of their losses by having to discard such items.

Reactions: Jennylolo
I was taught this from my mother who always checked to see what was on special, she also brought in bulk when things were on special particularly things such as toilet paper, washing up liquid, cleaning products but also tinned food. Mum was a child of the second world war and the depression so she learnt to look out for bargains that would save her money. She has passed that on to me and I am pleased I have passed that on to my daughter.
Lizzylou, I'm with you and your Mum, I have done this for the whole of my 42 years of married life and will continue to do this until the day I die!
I do the same thing for Birthdays, Christmas and other gift giving, furniture, white goods, in fact..... ANYTHING!! You have to stretch your dollar as far as it can go, especially these days and more so, being on a pension!!!

I am Lucky to have a Coles and Woolies in walking distance of each other and an excellent Fruit n Vege Market. I always check the catalogues for 1/2 price Specials first. If my staples are 1/2 price I will buy 2 or 3 of them and stock up. Doing it this way I has saved me a lot of money. I will not pay full price for my staples, it is just too expensive.

Reactions: gollywog
I am Lucky to have a Coles and Woolies in walking distance of each other and an excellent Fruit n Vege Market. I always check the catalogues for 1/2 price Specials first. If my staples are 1/2 price I will buy 2 or 3 of them and stock up. Doing it this way I has saved me a lot of money. I will not pay full price for my staples, it is just too expensive.
pymmie, I do this too!

I do all of the above, but I have found my biggest saver is to shop with cash. It is so easy to tap your card and loose track of what you are spending.
I take a set amount out of the ATM each fortnight and make it last, quite
often I will have money left over and I will use this to stock up on any 1/2 price non perishable items to keep my pantry well stocked. I only buy meat that is on special and do bulk cook ups of soup, casseroles, etc
I have found I spend no where near as much as I used to when I was merrily tapping away with my card.

Reactions: debjoel21