The High Life of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle

Last week, The Mirror reported the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are facing a bill of nearly $200,000 AUD on their mansion in California. The council tax charge is based on the value of their Montecito property located in Santa Barbara County.

The nine-bedroom, thirteen-bathroom home was purchased by the royal couple in June 2020 for more than $20 million AUD, and the property features a library, gym, cinema, spa, pool, tennis court, guest house and a playground.

Since then, the mansion has increased in value and is now thought to be worth $35.3 million AUD.

According to the source, their first payment was due on December 10 and the second on February 1, with a 10 percent late fee penalty. However, the source also added that the bill may be a huge sum for us, but it’s actually just “peanuts” when compared to the Sussexes earnings.

That leads us to the question: Just how rich is Prince Harry and Meghan Markle?

IUHpKBTmOlf-mACwPGPBywE2Wy9K4bzwbzUpVMmPTVRBbnyHLMq4Cd2AGsy4KdfOi_TJS9fOmnExPKkrcVHfsvKL1zJgobJsl4L3Ea14bpGydov8Kgam3FAzf8Qym7LmCkr3n-Dh

The royal couple’s expenses for the month of February alone reached more than $1.2 million. Credit: Dia Dipasupil/Getty Images.
Even before they met each other, both Prince Harry and Meghan Markle already had considerable personal wealth.

Prince Harry and his brother inherited the bulk of Princess Diana's $25 million fortune, and was thought to have been left millions of pounds by his great-grandmother, the Queen Mother.

Meghan, on the other hand, had a flourishing acting career, starring in the legal drama Suits. She was reported to be earning around $70,000 AUD per episode. She also ran a lifestyle blog and designed her own fashion line for a Canadian brand.

In January 2020, Prince Harry and Meghan announced that they would be leaving their places in the palace to pursue “working” towards being financially independent.

Then, they moved to California and proceeded to sign multi-million dollar deals with Spotify and Netflix in the same year, with both deals rumoured to be worth a combined $220 million AUD.

Even though Prince Harry told Oprah “my family literally cut me off financially”, it was reported last year that Prince Charles had allocated “a substantial sum” to support Harry and Meghan's transition to financial independence, and their activities were still funded by royal money.

Royal expert Richard Mineards has claimed that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are “very money-driven”, saying the royal couple wants to get to a level where they can “earn lots of money and do good things”.

“They've obviously got their eye on the money like their good friend James Corden who now earns something like $12 million per season of The Late Late Show,” said the royal expert.

The royal couple has also set up a non-profit organisation called Archewell, whose core purpose is to “uplift and unite communities — local and global, online and offline — one act of compassion at a time”.

We’ll let you decide how ‘self-made’ Harry and Meghan really are. For a video tour of the Sussex mansion, take a look at the below:

Credit: Famous Entertainment.

Reactions: Ricci and BJM
Sponsored
I am not jealous, I have only ever wanted to be comfortable rather than wealthy. Able to pay the bills, put food on the table with maybe a little left over for the occasional splurge is my criteria for money. Anything more than that comes with its own set of problems, ones I am not prepared or equipped to face. Good luck I say to anyone that worships the Great God Dollar, I hope it brings you great happiness.:)

Last edited:
Okay they decided they wanted INDEPEMDENT financial independence so be so and that means no money of dad or the public or crown. They have to live by their decision.