The harsh cost-of-living crisis: One Aussie faces a 900K power bill jump

The financial pressure that many families across Australia are facing is becoming increasingly unbearable. To make things worse, those struggling to keep up with their bills can now expect to witness further price hikes.

In a bracing reminder of the harsh impact of the cost-of-living crisis Aussies are facing, a third-generation family business is about to be slapped with a $900,000 power bill increase.

Nippy's is a family business that provides juice and milk to Aussies from three different manufacturing sites in South Australia.

On the current three-year electricity plan, the business pays $916,000 a year — but that’s all about to end.

nippys.jpg
Nippy’s was hit with a 95 per cent increase in their energy bill. Credit: Nippy’s

The latest quote has come back with a whopping $1.7 million per year electricity contract – an increase of a staggering 95 per cent.

Joint Managing Director at Nippy’s, Ben Knispel said it was a complete shock to receive news of the bill jump.

‘It’s scary. Our current bill is a three-year contract so we have the current year to try and work out if we can find another offer,’ Mr Knispel told reporters.

On top of the electricity increases, the cost of their main product and the milk from the farms has increased by 25 per cent in the last 18 months.

Aside from the burden of having to find an extra $900,000 to pay for their electricity bill, the business is also worried about passing on the costs to customers to stay afloat.

nippys2.jpg
The family-run store is worried about the spill-over effects of its electricity plan. Credit: Mikhail Nilov/Pexels

‘I’m nervous about how much customers are willing to pay,’ he said before admitting that the business will have ‘no choice’ but to pass on the costs.

‘We’ll have to find the money somewhere and unfortunately, some of it will come from another price rise,’ Mr Knispel explained.

Nippy’s story is a grim reminder of inflation and its effects on Australian households and businesses. The staggering cost of energy bills could put a strain on tight budgets and force home-grown shops to make cutbacks or even close their doors permanently.

However, Liberal MP Tony Pasin said that ‘it is inevitable’ that the costs businesses are slapped with will be passed on to the consumer.

He also mentioned that prices are going to keep rising.

‘When people go to the grocery store, they’re not getting far down the aisle before they run out of cash,’ Mr Pasin declared.

Naturally, this may drive away customers from Australian businesses. He warned that Australian manufacturers need to be careful, because ‘ultimately people will look for alternatives’, such as products made in other countries. Some items imported from other countries may be free of taxes and charges, which may be why they are cheaper.

‘Australians are going to find themselves in a situation where they can’t buy Aussie grown, Aussie made. That would be a travesty,’ Mr Pasin explained.

It comes as inflation has hit a historic high at 7.8 per cent during the last quarter of 2022, as reported by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). The ABS said that the figure marked the fastest annual rise of inflation since March 1990, and well above the Reserve Bank of Australia’s (RBA) 2 to 3 per cent target.

Not only that but it was reported that the spike in prices was also fuelled by rising transport and housing costs. As well as the spill-over effects of the Ukraine invasion, which pushed up crude oil prices to as high as 13.2 per cent in the early part of 2022.

But there may be good news on the horizon, as Aussie households are expected to save $230 on their electricity bills in the next financial year.

According to Treasury analysis of ASX data in December, wholesale electricity prices for 2023 fell by 44 per cent in Queensland, compared with prices in November 2022. Meanwhile, prices fell by 38 per cent in New South Wales, 32 per cent in South Australia, and 29 per cent in Victoria.

This came after the Albanese government introduced a $1.5 billion energy price relief package late last year, which temporarily capped gas prices at $12 per gigajoule and coal prices at $125 per tonne.
Key Takeaways
  • A South Australian family business is set to be hit with a $900,000 electricity bill increase.
  • The business pays $916,000 per year for its current contract but has been quoted $1.7 million for a new contract – an increase of 95 per cent.
  • The increase in electricity costs will inevitably be passed on to customers through price rises as the business tries to find a way to make up the extra $900,000 bill.
  • Inflation is at a historic high of 7.8 per cent and the government intervened to introduce a gas cap to try and lower prices.
Do you have any tips or advice on how to save money on electricity and other bills? Share your thoughts and money-saving tips in the comments below.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: BJM, Ricci and Liag
Sponsored
Nippys is an awesome product! It stinks that imported products are taxed less, should be other way around!
I try to use as little power (& bottled gas) as possible. Only the fridge & freezer run here most of the time (& the pump which delivers my rainwater supply- & i've taken extreme measures to make sure it barely runs either)!
Barely ever watch any tv at all or listen to radio leaving standbys all turned off pretty much permanantly. Have to keep my budget under $85 for electricity - with Tango my bills are usually around $65-70 per month doing all this! I am working but on minimum wage (earning less than $500 per wk part time if i dont take on extra work), so i need to be really careful! Oh & i dont have aircon (just a 12v fan & ceiling fans, used only when absolutely necessary!
And a wood heater ($5-600 per winter on wood now that i dont cut my own any more being 61yo)! Could work more hrs & take on another job (plenty work here in country Vic town) but prefer to be minimalist & keep costs down as i am keen to retire as soon as i can!

I have just signed up to have our solar system upgraded to include 10 extra panels and a solar battery. As pensioners, we really don't like dipping into the nest egg, but we feel better now than later.
We have had solar from the day we built our home and are very alert to ways of saving energy, yet, this quarter our bill went up by 100% to the last quarter, and, our usage was 4% lower than the same time last year. After contacting the power company and demanding answers, I came to the reality that power costs will keep going up and up and up, they no longer offer decent discounts on contracts, and quite frankly, they just don't care. How are pensioners and low income people going to manage? Mind you, we really all knew it was coming.
As coal powered power stations close down, so will the availability of constant power supply. There will be blackouts.
What a lot of people don't realise is that the trend toward people like me, moving towards battery power means that power companies are losing revenue. Might only be a bit at a time, but it all adds up. How do you think they make up for the down turn. The current client base will pay for it big time.
Imagine what kind of a drop in revenue there would be if Nippys had the ability to ditch power companies all together and create their own, whether it be solar, wind power or thermal. The mind boggles at the possibilities.
I feel for this company and do hope they can find the solutions they need to keep people employed and milk on the table at reasonable prices.

I have just checked my account with Origin, my next billing cycle ends on 12/3 and they predict my bill will be $20.69 which is a bit of a bugger, hoping for a couple of sunny days between now and 12th so my bill will be $0! :)

The financial pressure that many families across Australia are facing is becoming increasingly unbearable. To make things worse, those struggling to keep up with their bills can now expect to witness further price hikes.

In a bracing reminder of the harsh impact of the cost-of-living crisis Aussies are facing, a third-generation family business is about to be slapped with a $900,000 power bill increase.

Nippy's is a family business that provides juice and milk to Aussies from three different manufacturing sites in South Australia.

On the current three-year electricity plan, the business pays $916,000 a year — but that’s all about to end.

View attachment 13301
Nippy’s was hit with a 95 per cent increase in their energy bill. Credit: Nippy’s

The latest quote has come back with a whopping $1.7 million per year electricity contract – an increase of a staggering 95 per cent.

Joint Managing Director at Nippy’s, Ben Knispel said it was a complete shock to receive news of the bill jump.

‘It’s scary. Our current bill is a three-year contract so we have the current year to try and work out if we can find another offer,’ Mr Knispel told reporters.

On top of the electricity increases, the cost of their main product and the milk from the farms has increased by 25 per cent in the last 18 months.

Aside from the burden of having to find an extra $900,000 to pay for their electricity bill, the business is also worried about passing on the costs to customers to stay afloat.

View attachment 13302
The family-run store is worried about the spill-over effects of its electricity plan. Credit: Mikhail Nilov/Pexels

‘I’m nervous about how much customers are willing to pay,’ he said before admitting that the business will have ‘no choice’ but to pass on the costs.

‘We’ll have to find the money somewhere and unfortunately, some of it will come from another price rise,’ Mr Knispel explained.

Nippy’s story is a grim reminder of inflation and its effects on Australian households and businesses. The staggering cost of energy bills could put a strain on tight budgets and force home-grown shops to make cutbacks or even close their doors permanently.

However, Liberal MP Tony Pasin said that ‘it is inevitable’ that the costs businesses are slapped with will be passed on to the consumer.

He also mentioned that prices are going to keep rising.

‘When people go to the grocery store, they’re not getting far down the aisle before they run out of cash,’ Mr Pasin declared.

Naturally, this may drive away customers from Australian businesses. He warned that Australian manufacturers need to be careful, because ‘ultimately people will look for alternatives’, such as products made in other countries. Some items imported from other countries may be free of taxes and charges, which may be why they are cheaper.

‘Australians are going to find themselves in a situation where they can’t buy Aussie grown, Aussie made. That would be a travesty,’ Mr Pasin explained.

It comes as inflation has hit a historic high at 7.8 per cent during the last quarter of 2022, as reported by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). The ABS said that the figure marked the fastest annual rise of inflation since March 1990, and well above the Reserve Bank of Australia’s (RBA) 2 to 3 per cent target.

Not only that but it was reported that the spike in prices was also fuelled by rising transport and housing costs. As well as the spill-over effects of the Ukraine invasion, which pushed up crude oil prices to as high as 13.2 per cent in the early part of 2022.

But there may be good news on the horizon, as Aussie households are expected to save $230 on their electricity bills in the next financial year.

According to Treasury analysis of ASX data in December, wholesale electricity prices for 2023 fell by 44 per cent in Queensland, compared with prices in November 2022. Meanwhile, prices fell by 38 per cent in New South Wales, 32 per cent in South Australia, and 29 per cent in Victoria.

This came after the Albanese government introduced a $1.5 billion energy price relief package late last year, which temporarily capped gas prices at $12 per gigajoule and coal prices at $125 per tonne.
Key Takeaways

• A South Australian family business is set to be hit with a $900,000 electricity bill increase.
  • The business pays $916,000 per year for its current contract but has been quoted $1.7 million for a new contract – an increase of 95 per cent.
  • The increase in electricity costs will inevitably be passed on to customers through price rises as the business tries to find a way to make up the extra $900,000 bill.
  • Inflation is at a historic high of 7.8 per cent and the government intervened to introduce a gas cap to try and lower prices.
Do you have any tips or advice on how to save money on electricity and other bills? Share your thoughts and money-saving tips in the comments below.
EVERYBODY WAS TOLD IT WOULDN'T BE EASY UNDER ALBANESE, i FEEL SORRY FOR HIS MISSUSS!!

Reactions: Ricci
I have just checked my account with Origin, my next billing cycle ends on 12/3 and they predict my bill will be $20.69 which is a bit of a bugger, hoping for a couple of sunny days between now and 12th so my bill will be $0! :)
solar?

Reactions: Ricci