The End of an Era: Hollywood icon Piper Laurie and TV star Suzanne Somers pass away

It was a sad weekend with the news of the passing of two notable actresses: Icon Piper Laurie (aged 91) and television star Suzanne Somers (aged 76).

Piper's manager, Marion Rosenberg, announced that Piper passed away in her home in Los Angeles last October 14, succumbing to old age.

Speaking of the former critically-acclaimed star, Marion said she was 'a superb talent and a wonderful human being.'

Screenshot 2023-10-16 075748.png
Piper Laurie passed away last October 14 due to old age. Credit: Old Hollywood/X (Twitter)

Born Rosetta Jacobs in 1932, the actress arrived in Hollywood as a young 17-year-old and quickly took the new name she was given, which later became her theatre and film name—Piper Laurie.

The young star scored some major roles alongside actors of the day like Ronald Reagan, Rock Hudson, and Tony Curtis, and even after straying away from the industry mid-career, Piper was blessed enough to have a resurgence of sorts towards the end.

The 1951 movie Louisa marked Piper's debut. Playing as Ronald Reagan's daughter earned her a spot on Hollywood’s radar. She then appeared in a string of films and even got to star with Francis the talking mule in the 1951 film Francis Goes to the Races.

Frustrated by the continuous offers of mediocre roles, Piper walked away from her acting career in 1955, dissatisfied and vowing to return only when she could get a decent part. She moved to New York, where she found her desired roles in theatre and television.

She received Emmy nominations for her performances in Days of Wine and Roses, The Deaf Heart and The Road That Led After—roles that eventually led her back to the world of film acting. In 1961, she returned as Paul Newman’s troubled girlfriend in The Hustler.

You can watch her performance in The Hustler here:

The role earned Piper an Oscar nomination, followed by another two—1976's Carrie and 1986's romantic drama Children of a Lesser God.

Her stellar performance as Catherine Martell in David Lynch's infamous 90s thriller Twin Peaks earned her great plaudits as well.

Apart from being talented and dedicated to her craft, Piper was also an avid painter and baker. She shared her tasty recipes on the pages of The New York Times.

Screenshot 2023-10-16 080938.png
Piper received an Oscar nomination for playing Margaret White in the horror film Carrie. Credit: ArrowFilmsVideo/X (Twitter)

In 1990, Piper spoke of pursuing a life that felt meaningful to her and said she never regretted leaving the industry for a while.

'My life was full,' she said in 1990. 'I always liked using my hands, and I always painted.'

In similar news, Suzanne Somers, the actress known for her memorable roles in Three's Company and Step by Step, died peacefully at the age of 76, just one day before her 77th birthday.

Somers passed away at home surrounded by family after battling cancer on and off for over two decades.

392793519_886503756173196_2714776508790677078_n.jpg
Suzanne Somers passed away last October 15 after a long battle with cancer. Credit: John Tesh/Facebook

An iconic presence on screen from the 1970s through the 1990s, Somers first endeared herself to audiences as the bubbly, blonde Chrissy Snow on Three's Company. She became one of the era's most recognisable stars with her flair for comedy and undeniable charm.

She later found success again playing the matriarch Carol Foster Lambert on the 90s sitcom Step by Step.

But behind the scenes, Somers faced numerous health struggles. She was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2000. As her publicist, R. Couri Hay, shared, 'Suzanne survived an aggressive form of breast cancer for over 23 years.'

While cancer attempted to slow her down, Suzanne never stopped pursuing her passions. She had her own television show called The Suzanne Show in 2012 and performed in Dancing with the Stars in 2015.

In July, Suzanne talked about her health struggle: ‘I do my best not to let this insidious disease control me.’

She launched multiple successful businesses and published over five books about health, her life, and poetry.

Suzanne Somers will be remembered for her joyful spirit. She leaves behind her husband, Alan Hamel, her son Bruce Somers Jr, her stepchildren, and her grandchildren.

Couri Hay added: ‘Her family was gathered to celebrate her 77th birthday on October 16th. Instead, they will celebrate her extraordinary life and want to thank her millions of fans and followers who loved her dearly.’

You can watch Suzanne’s performance in the show Step by Step:

Key Takeaways

• Oscar-nominated actress, Piper Laurie, passed away at the age of 91 due to old age.
  • Laurie received Academy Award nominations for her roles in The Hustler, Carrie, and Children of a Lesser God, and also made notable appearances in television series including Twin Peaks.
  • Suzanne Somers, who starred in multiple hit shows and films, passed away a day before her 77th birthday after a long battle with cancer.
  • Somers was a household name for her role in the sitcoms Three’s Company and Step by Step and hosted her own talk show, The Suzanne Show.

With the passing of these stars, the lights on the entertainment industry dim just a little more. But Piper Laurie and Suzanne Somers’ legacies will continue inspiring actresses for generations to come. May their souls rest in peace.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Have enjoyed the performances of both of these ladies over the years. Miss Laurie's was certainly a life well lived and 94 is a good innings by anyone's standards. Suzanne's life didn't quite see the distance but, I would imagine, having battled cancer for 23 years she was ready for the release.
Vale ladies and heartfelt thanks for the memories and the laughs.❤️❤️

Wow two amazing actresses.

I think the first movie I remember seeing was Carrie , where Piper Laurie played the mother of Carrie.
I then remember seeing who in alot of shows including a TV series Thorn Birds.

RIP to both these Amazing Actresses

Have enjoyed the performances of both of these ladies over the years. Miss Laurie's was certainly a life well lived and 94 is a good innings by anyone's standards. Suzanne's life didn't quite see the distance but, I would imagine, having battled cancer for 23 years she was ready for the release.
Vale ladies and heartfelt thanks for the memories and the laughs.❤️❤️
😍😍

Reactions: croz
It was a sad weekend with the news of the passing of two notable actresses: Icon Piper Laurie (aged 91) and television star Suzanne Somers (aged 76).

Piper's manager, Marion Rosenberg, announced that Piper passed away in her home in Los Angeles last October 14, succumbing to old age.

Speaking of the former critically-acclaimed star, Marion said she was 'a superb talent and a wonderful human being.'

View attachment 32251
Piper Laurie passed away last October 14 due to old age. Credit: Old Hollywood/X (Twitter)

Born Rosetta Jacobs in 1932, the actress arrived in Hollywood as a young 17-year-old and quickly took the new name she was given, which later became her theatre and film name—Piper Laurie.

The young star scored some major roles alongside actors of the day like Ronald Reagan, Rock Hudson, and Tony Curtis, and even after straying away from the industry mid-career, Piper was blessed enough to have a resurgence of sorts towards the end.

The 1951 movie Louisa marked Piper's debut. Playing as Ronald Reagan's daughter earned her a spot on Hollywood’s radar. She then appeared in a string of films and even got to star with Francis the talking mule in the 1951 film Francis Goes to the Races.

Frustrated by the continuous offers of mediocre roles, Piper walked away from her acting career in 1955, dissatisfied and vowing to return only when she could get a decent part. She moved to New York, where she found her desired roles in theatre and television.

She received Emmy nominations for her performances in Days of Wine and Roses, The Deaf Heart and The Road That Led After—roles that eventually led her back to the world of film acting. In 1961, she returned as Paul Newman’s troubled girlfriend in The Hustler.

The role earned Piper an Oscar nomination, followed by another two—1976's Carrie and 1986's romantic drama Children of a Lesser God.

Her stellar performance as Catherine Martell in David Lynch's infamous 90s thriller Twin Peaks earned her great plaudits as well.

Apart from being talented and dedicated to her craft, Piper was also an avid painter and baker. She shared her tasty recipes on the pages of The New York Times.

View attachment 32250
Piper received an Oscar nomination for playing Margaret White in the horror film Carrie. Credit: ArrowFilmsVideo/X (Twitter)

In 1990, Piper spoke of pursuing a life that felt meaningful to her and said she never regretted leaving the industry for a while.

'My life was full,' she said in 1990. 'I always liked using my hands, and I always painted.'

In similar news, Suzanne Somers, the actress known for her memorable roles in Three's Company and Step by Step, died peacefully at the age of 76, just one day before her 77th birthday.

Somers passed away at home surrounded by family after battling cancer on and off for over two decades.

View attachment 32252
Suzanne Somers passed away last October 15 after a long battle with cancer. Credit: John Tesh/Facebook

An iconic presence on screen from the 1970s through the 1990s, Somers first endeared herself to audiences as the bubbly, blonde Chrissy Snow on Three's Company. She became one of the era's most recognisable stars with her flair for comedy and undeniable charm.

She later found success again playing the matriarch Carol Foster Lambert on the 90s sitcom Step by Step.

But behind the scenes, Somers faced numerous health struggles. She was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2000. As her publicist, R. Couri Hay, shared, 'Suzanne survived an aggressive form of breast cancer for over 23 years.'

While cancer attempted to slow her down, Suzanne never stopped pursuing her passions. She had her own television show called The Suzanne Show in 2012 and performed in Dancing with the Stars in 2015.

In July, Suzanne talked about her health struggle: ‘I do my best not to let this insidious disease control me.’

She launched multiple successful businesses and published over five books about health, her life, and poetry.

Suzanne Somers will be remembered for her joyful spirit. She leaves behind her husband, Alan Hamel, her son Bruce Somers Jr, her stepchildren, and her grandchildren.

Couri Hay added: ‘Her family was gathered to celebrate her 77th birthday on October 16th. Instead, they will celebrate her extraordinary life and want to thank her millions of fans and followers who loved her dearly.’

Key Takeaways

• Oscar-nominated actress, Piper Laurie, passed away at the age of 91 due to old age.
  • Laurie received Academy Award nominations for her roles in The Hustler, Carrie, and Children of a Lesser God, and also made notable appearances in television series including Twin Peaks.
  • Suzanne Somers, who starred in multiple hit shows and films, passed away a day before her 77th birthday after a long battle with cancer.
  • Somers was a household name for her role in the sitcoms Three’s Company and Step by Step and hosted her own talk show, The Suzanne Show.

With the passing of these stars, the lights on the entertainment industry dim just a little more. But Piper Laurie and Suzanne Somers’ legacies will continue inspiring actresses for generations to come. May their souls rest in peace.

They're dropping like flies....I keep dodging the Grim Reaper but I suppose one day I will succumb. Still, I like to play hide and seek.

View attachment 32251

View attachment 32250

View attachment 32252

Key Takeaways

We all have to go some time. I keep playing hide and seek with the Grim Reaper. One day he will find me......