SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
R

Ricci

Oct 27, 2021
The Demise of Christmas

What has happened to Christmas?
I remember when I was a kid Christmas lasted from Christmas Eve to New Years day at least. Christmas day would be spent with family then from Boxing Day onward it would be either visits to various extended family and friends or they would come to us. The grown ups would have a good catch up and us kids would get to compare and play with Christmas presents. Food was taken care of with leftovers, everybody contributing what they had left. I remember it as a great laid back time, rules (and chores) were relaxed and if you hadn't seen someone for a while presents came 2,3 or 4 days after Christmas day! There was no such thing as the Boxing Day sales, instead there were the January sales (and they didn't start early).
I look back fondly at those times, we never had much money, times were tough but the sense of family and your place in the world were cemented during those years. Family time was precious, games played by all with gusto, laughter (and a few tears).

What has happened to Christmas?
I remember when I was a kid Christmas lasted from Christmas Eve to New Years day at least. Christmas day would be spent with family then from Boxing Day onward it would be either visits to various extended family and friends or they would come to us. The grown ups would have a good catch up and us kids would get to compare and play with Christmas presents. Food was taken care of with leftovers, everybody contributing what they had left. I remember it as a great laid back time, rules (and chores) were relaxed and if you hadn't seen someone for a while presents came 2,3 or 4 days after Christmas day! There was no such thing as the Boxing Day sales, instead there were the January sales (and they didn't start early).
I look back fondly at those times, we never had much money, times were tough but the sense of family and your place in the world were cemented during those years. Family time was precious, games played by all with gusto, laughter (and a few tears).
I remember those days Ricci, spent with family and the extended Christmas. You were lucky to get 2 gifts not what kids get these days. And if you were really lucky your Mum made you a new dress - aww those were the days. Playing cricket in the back yard not watching massive television screens to entertain all the kids. Must be getting old.