The 'dangerous' One Chip Challenge is TikTok's newest, hottest trend

TikTok is well-known for being the go-to app for all the latest trends and challenges, with new ones popping up almost every single day.

However, while many of these challenges are silly and harmless fun, there's one new trend that's raising a lot of eyebrows (and causing a lot of pain) – the 'One Chip Challenge'.

Basically, the challenge involves eating just one of Paqui's tortilla chips, which are coated in extremely hot seasoning. The aim is to see how long you can last before needing to eat or drink something to soothe your mouth.

That sounds like an easy challenge, right? After all, it's just one chip! What could possibly happen?

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 3.00.31 PM.png
The One Chip Challenge is a social media trend that involves the consumption of a spicy tortilla chip. Credit: FOX 9.

We should warn you, though, that these chips are no joke.

They're made with the Carolina Reaper – also known as the world's hottest chilli pepper – and eating even a small amount can lead to some pretty serious side effects. These include vomiting, nausea, belly pain, throat pain and mouth pain. Not exactly what we'd call fun!

Sadly (or perhaps luckily?), this hasn't stopped people from taking on the challenge anyway.

In fact, it seems like everyone from Brooklyn Beckham to British (and even Aussie) TikTokers are getting in on the action. And not surprisingly, most people seem to be regretting their decision pretty quickly!
Key Takeaways

• The 'Dangerous' One Chip Challenge is a new TikTok trend that is leaving some users a little hot under the collar.
  • The challenge involves eating one of Paqui's tortilla chips, which are covered in extremely hot seasoning.
  • The aim of the challenge is to wait as long as possible before eating or drinking anything.
  • The company behind the chips warns not everyone should try the challenge, saying: 'Do not eat if you are sensitive to spicy foods, allergic to peppers, nightshades, or capsaicin, or are pregnant or have any medical conditions.'
TikTok user Angela shared the scarring consequences of the viral trend.

Angela's niece can be seen in a video posted on TikTok, getting ready to take on the chip challenge. She was seen reaching over to grab the deathly chip, but the next cut in the video suddenly shows her in a hospital gown, sitting in a hospital bed with her head in her hands.

What happened? Let's just say that the deep-fried snack was too 'hot' for the young lady.

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 3.00.25 PM.png
A young woman was rushed to the hospital after taking part in the One Chip Challenge. Credit: TikTok.

A family member of the victim went on to explain that the girl had accepted a $50 bet from her uncle to take on the challenge, thinking it was 'easy money' on her part.

Little did she know, the chip was so-called the 'hottest' in the world, and after she took a bite, she said she almost couldn't breathe.

'I started crying. It was bad,' the young woman tried to explain. 'So we went to the hospital right, and they had to give me multiple medicines, but it didn't really work. And then, after like three hours, it finally worked, and here I am!'

Even though the young woman laughed the whole thing off, given its worrisome nature, a fair number of her viewers weren't okay with the challenge.

'This is the second video I've seen in the last 24 hours where paramedics had to be called because of this,' one person wrote in the comments section.

'My husband tried this a year ago and ended up in the hospital and still has stomach issues today,' another added, with a third saying, 'My boyfriend did it; it was the worst thing I ever watched him go through…'

Others appealed to fellow internet users not to try it out themselves, warning them of the painful outcomes they might face if they gave this one a go.
Tip
A cold glass of milk is a fantastic way to ease the burn from spicy dishes.
So what do you think of this story, folks? Do you think TikTok trends are harmless fun, or has this one gone too far? Leave a comment below and tell us what your thoughts are!

Sponsored
TikTok is well-known for being the go-to app for all the latest trends and challenges, with new ones popping up almost every single day.

However, while many of these challenges are silly and harmless fun, there's one new trend that's raising a lot of eyebrows (and causing a lot of pain) – the 'One Chip Challenge'.

Basically, the challenge involves eating just one of Paqui's tortilla chips, which are coated in extremely hot seasoning. The aim is to see how long you can last before needing to eat or drink something to soothe your mouth.

That sounds like an easy challenge, right? After all, it's just one chip! What could possibly happen?

View attachment 7542
The One Chip Challenge is a social media trend that involves the consumption of a spicy tortilla chip. Credit: FOX 9.

They're made with the Carolina Reaper – also known as the world's hottest chilli pepper – and eating even a small amount can lead to some pretty serious side effects. These include vomiting, nausea, belly pain, throat pain and mouth pain. Not exactly what we'd call fun!

Sadly (or perhaps luckily?), this hasn't stopped people from taking on the challenge anyway.

In fact, it seems like everyone from Brooklyn Beckham to British (and even Aussie) TikTokers are getting in on the action. And not surprisingly, most people seem to be regretting their decision pretty quickly!
Key Takeaways

• The 'Dangerous' One Chip Challenge is a new TikTok trend that is leaving some users a little hot under the collar.
  • The challenge involves eating one of Paqui's tortilla chips, which are covered in extremely hot seasoning.
  • The aim of the challenge is to wait as long as possible before eating or drinking anything.
  • The company behind the chips warns not everyone should try the challenge, saying: 'Do not eat if you are sensitive to spicy foods, allergic to peppers, nightshades, or capsaicin, or are pregnant or have any medical conditions.'

Angela's niece can be seen in a video posted on TikTok, getting ready to take on the chip challenge. She was seen reaching over to grab the deathly chip, but the next cut in the video suddenly shows her in a hospital gown, sitting in a hospital bed with her head in her hands.

What happened? Let's just say that the deep-fried snack was too 'hot' for the young lady.

View attachment 7543
A young woman was rushed to the hospital after taking part in the One Chip Challenge. Credit: TikTok.

A family member of the victim went on to explain that the girl had accepted a $50 bet from her uncle to take on the challenge, thinking it was 'easy money' on her part.

Little did she know, the chip was so-called the 'hottest' in the world, and after she took a bite, she said she almost couldn't breathe.

'I started crying. It was bad,' the young woman tried to explain. 'So we went to the hospital right, and they had to give me multiple medicines, but it didn't really work. And then, after like three hours, it finally worked, and here I am!'

Even though the young woman laughed the whole thing off, given its worrisome nature, a fair number of her viewers weren't okay with the challenge.

'This is the second video I've seen in the last 24 hours where paramedics had to be called because of this,' one person wrote in the comments section.

'My husband tried this a year ago and ended up in the hospital and still has stomach issues today,' another added, with a third saying, 'My boyfriend did it; it was the worst thing I ever watched him go through…'

Others appealed to fellow internet users not to try it out themselves, warning them of the painful outcomes they might face if they gave this one a go.
Tip
So what do you think of this story, folks? Do you think TikTok trends are harmless fun, or has this one gone too far? Leave a comment below and tell us what your thoughts are!
All I ever see of this tiktok is stupid things like this. 🙄

The only chips I would have are these with tomato sauce on them.

Attachments

• Air-fried-chips-c3a5d44.jpg
    Air-fried-chips-c3a5d44.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 0

View attachment 7542

Key Takeaways

View attachment 7543

Tip

This a very dangerous to your health

View attachment 7542

Key Takeaways

View attachment 7543

Tip

This is very dangerous to your health why would you want to risk choking and gasping for Air let alone what it does inside your body which can cause big problems.
I used to loved spicy foods the hot

View attachment 7542

Key Takeaways

View attachment 7543

Tip

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 7542

Key Takeaways

View attachment 7543

Tip
anyone deciding to do this would have to be a complete moron

I do not believe this chip should be allowed into the country, imagine if a small child happened to get hold of one?

Reactions: debjane
No sympathy if they end up in hospital, what worries me is these twits then cannot handle the heat because of their own stupidity and call an ambulance that could be needed by someone in genuine need or a car accident victim, then there is the hospital beds they take up when the system is collapsing beds needed again by those in urgent need, As another comment said what if a child or baby got hold of one and ended up seriously ill or dead because of their stupid games, they need to go home and grow up, do jobs around the house, wash some dishes or god forbid clean their bedrooms up and do their washing.

I can't believe people can be so irresponsible and stubborn. And what is a true mystery is why these chips still exist, and the owners haven't stopped producing them. It is literally poison. I have a popular TikTok account where I talk about promoting your social media accounts and services like iamat.com . However, I like watching TikTok more than posting videos, and I learn a lot of helpful and exciting information. I even used a few hacks I saw there, which helped me a lot. I think such cases depend on people, not on an app. I would never try this snack, though I can follow some more safe trends

Last edited: