The cost-of-living crisis: Why can't nurses and teachers afford groceries anymore?

It’s hard not to notice the rise in the cost of living over the years – and we're not just talking about the days of lower petrol prices and affordable real estate.

The current cost of living crisis in Australia has reached an alarming level, impacting people from all walks of life, including professionals like nurses, teachers, and even lawyers.

A recent line-up at a free supermarket in Sydney speaks volumes about the growing struggle to afford basic necessities like groceries.

The OzHarvest a free supermarket in Waterloo – which offers fresh fruit, vegetables, and ready-made meals at no cost for those in need – has seen a noticeable increase in the number of professionals forced to rely on their services due to the escalating cost of living crisis.

oz1.jpg
OzHarvest is one of Australia’s leading food rescue organisations. Credit: OzHarvest

While one might assume that food banks are only frequented by those who are homeless or on Centrelink benefits, the steady stream of professionals proves that this issue is affecting the lives of our so-called ‘working poor’.

And if these professionals are having a tough time stretching their budgets and feeding themselves, what about those who are on a pension or are self-funded retirees?

Inflation is currently at 7 per cent, the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) rates at 3.8 per cent, and the rising rental costs are all significantly diminishing the purchasing power of many Australian workers.

A disheartening study conducted by Suncorp found that 47 per cent of Aussies claim they cannot afford to properly fill their grocery trolleys in today's economic climate, with four in five Australians actively trying to reduce their food costs.

The diverse crowd waiting in line at the Waterloo market offers a stark reminder of how increasingly difficult it has become for ordinary Australians to make ends meet.

oz2.jpg
There’s a constant line at OzHarvest’s free supermarket. Credit: OzHarvest

Among them is John, a senior lawyer who fell on hard times while battling alcoholism.

‘It was very humbling coming to a place like this, and I’ve fallen from lofty heights. I was highly respected, there was money galore and two divorces later, and thanks to my drinking, I’ve lost my money, and I’m coming here because I can’t afford to buy food anymore,’ he revealed.

He added that without OzHarvest, he ‘wouldn’t be eating’.

‘The people here are so non-judgmental, and you feel comfortable, and that is reassuring.’

Kat, a social worker for OzHarvest, observed a significant change in the demographics of those seeking help within the past year.

‘We are seeing plenty of professional workers coming in now. Teachers, nurses, lawyers, and they feel embarrassed they are here because they are working, but we say you are welcome because people don’t come here unless they really need to,’ she said.

‘Currently, it is the perfect storm. People are earning what they were earning two years ago, but now everything is more expensive, and they just can’t make ends meet anymore,’ she added.

The heart-wrenching stories shared by those who rely on the food bank highlight precisely how dire the situation has become for many. One teacher – a young mother of three – was unable to provide for her children on her part-time salary despite working four days a week.

Meanwhile, an international student pursuing a Master’s degree in Business credited the food bank as her lifeline because her unstable casual hours and exorbitant rent left her unable to pay for meals.

These stories shed light on the desperate need for a solution – whether short or long-term – to address the cost-of-living crisis that is sweeping across Australia. And if inflation continues to outpace wages, then this state of affairs will likely last for some time.

As we all know, help and support for one another is crucial in trying times like these. It's essential to keep informed about the ever-changing economic environment and look out for our community members – whether they're neighbours, family, or friends.

If you're in a position to do so, donating to organisations like Foodbank Australia, which provides vital support for those struggling, can make a lasting impact on the lives of many Australians.

You can also contribute to the OzHarvest Giving Day Appeal, whereby each dollar donated will provide four meals thanks to matched funding on June 22nd.
Key Takeaways
  • Nurses, teachers, and even lawyers are turning up at food banks in Australia due to the increasing cost-of-living crisis.
  • Inflation, rising RBA rates, and increasing rental prices have led to 47 per cent of Aussies struggling to afford groceries and four in five actively trying to reduce food costs.
  • OzHarvest’s free supermarket in Sydney’s Waterloo has seen a diverse crowd from various professions seeking free groceries.
  • Stories of teachers, nurses, and others struggling to make ends meet highlight the extent of the problem and the need for support initiatives like OzHarvest.
What are your thoughts on this story, members? How has the rising cost of living hit you? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
Really teachers, nurses and lawyers. Anyone, can fall on hard times. But really, anyone should look at themselves before using utilising the privilege of a food bank. These are for people in need, not because people want cheaper food or handouts.

It’s hard not to notice the rise in the cost of living over the years – and we're not just talking about the days of lower petrol prices and affordable real estate.

The current cost of living crisis in Australia has reached an alarming level, impacting people from all walks of life, including professionals like nurses, teachers, and even lawyers.

A recent line-up at a free supermarket in Sydney speaks volumes about the growing struggle to afford basic necessities like groceries.

The OzHarvest a free supermarket in Waterloo – which offers fresh fruit, vegetables, and ready-made meals at no cost for those in need – has seen a noticeable increase in the number of professionals forced to rely on their services due to the escalating cost of living crisis.

View attachment 21535
OzHarvest is one of Australia’s leading food rescue organisations. Credit: OzHarvest

While one might assume that food banks are only frequented by those who are homeless or on Centrelink benefits, the steady stream of professionals proves that this issue is affecting the lives of our so-called ‘working poor’.

And if these professionals are having a tough time stretching their budgets and feeding themselves, what about those who are on a pension or are self-funded retirees?

Inflation is currently at 7 per cent, the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) rates at 3.8 per cent, and the rising rental costs are all significantly diminishing the purchasing power of many Australian workers.

A disheartening study conducted by Suncorp found that 47 per cent of Aussies claim they cannot afford to properly fill their grocery trolleys in today's economic climate, with four in five Australians actively trying to reduce their food costs.

The diverse crowd waiting in line at the Waterloo market offers a stark reminder of how increasingly difficult it has become for ordinary Australians to make ends meet.

View attachment 21536

Among them is John, a senior lawyer who fell on hard times while battling alcoholism.

‘It was very humbling coming to a place like this, and I’ve fallen from lofty heights. I was highly respected, there was money galore and two divorces later, and thanks to my drinking, I’ve lost my money, and I’m coming here because I can’t afford to buy food anymore,’ he revealed.

‘The people here are so non-judgmental, and you feel comfortable, and that is reassuring.’

Kat, a social worker for OzHarvest, observed a significant change in the demographics of those seeking help within the past year.

‘We are seeing plenty of professional workers coming in now. Teachers, nurses, lawyers, and they feel embarrassed they are here because they are working, but we say you are welcome because people don’t come here unless they really need to,’ she said.

‘Currently, it is the perfect storm. People are earning what they were earning two years ago, but now everything is more expensive, and they just can’t make ends meet anymore,’ she added.

The heart-wrenching stories shared by those who rely on the food bank highlight precisely how dire the situation has become for many. One teacher – a young mother of three – was unable to provide for her children on her part-time salary despite working four days a week.

Meanwhile, an international student pursuing a Master’s degree in Business credited the food bank as her lifeline because her unstable casual hours and exorbitant rent left her unable to pay for meals.

These stories shed light on the desperate need for a solution – whether short or long-term – to address the cost-of-living crisis that is sweeping across Australia. And if inflation continues to outpace wages, then this state of affairs will likely last for some time.

As we all know, help and support for one another is crucial in trying times like these. It's essential to keep informed about the ever-changing economic environment and look out for our community members – whether they're neighbours, family, or friends.

If you're in a position to do so, donating to organisations like Foodbank Australia, which provides vital support for those struggling, can make a lasting impact on the lives of many Australians.

You can also contribute to the OzHarvest Giving Day Appeal, whereby each dollar donated will provide four meals thanks to matched funding on June 22nd.
Key Takeaways

• Nurses, teachers, and even lawyers are turning up at food banks in Australia due to the increasing cost-of-living crisis.
  • Inflation, rising RBA rates, and increasing rental prices have led to 47 per cent of Aussies struggling to afford groceries and four in five actively trying to reduce food costs.
  • OzHarvest’s free supermarket in Sydney’s Waterloo has seen a diverse crowd from various professions seeking free groceries.
  • Stories of teachers, nurses, and others struggling to make ends meet highlight the extent of the problem and the need for support initiatives like OzHarvest.
What are your thoughts on this story, members? How has the rising cost of living hit you? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.
And it looks like pensioners will be kicked to the kerb yet again.

View attachment 21535

View attachment 21536

Key Takeaways

I think we need to rewind - growing up we wasted nothing. We bought only specials and in bulk if we could. We made our own burgers meatloaf’s casseroles soups prepared our own vegies etc. I look in the supermarket and so much pre prepared food is ridiculously expensive compared to what you can make it for
I’m not saying you can’t buy these products (I certainly do at times) I’m suggesting we Get a bit more savy with our spending
My kids are a perfect example- both have huge expenses with uni mortgages etc - but when I shop with them - they buy like they are rich - I keep saying “you have to learn to shop poor”
I’d love to see a blog on this page of suggested money savers - tips for all to share - we seniors have lived through recession and high interest rates - and we learnt from parents who survived a war and a depression - I’m sure we all have many budget saving tips to share

View attachment 21535

View attachment 21536

Key Takeaways

I’d need to know more about the overall financial circumstances of the professionals using these services. I know people both young and old, who complain about the current cost of living endlessly, but have their nails done fortnightly, their hair coloured and cut on a regular basis and a complete wardrobe update every change of season. Gym membership is a must have.

I’m aware that not all people fall into this category, but many, many do. They drive up to date vehicles and choose to rent or buy in higher end areas. Their kids have all the latest gadgets and insist on wearing designer brand clothes. The most common sentence I hear is: ‘I deserve a little treat.’ Why? Especially when that ‘treat’ costs more than a weekly grocery bill.

As I say, this doesn’t apply to all professionals, but priorities have changed rapidly and markedly over the last 50 years. A reckoning is coming unfortunately, if it’s not already here.

View attachment 21535

View attachment 21536

Key Takeaways

If annual harvesting and population consumption are about the same this year and last year, the supply and demand for food shouldn’t have been so different to justify such price increases. So I would imagine it could be attributed to other supply operating costs like transport (influenced by fuel prices and labour costs) and perhaps loan interest payments (if rates are increased), assuming the supply of labour in an “unemployment status” would not bring about high wages in the food chain.
Sadly, in the education and health sector, there are many qualified unemployed unvaccinated people who are still jobless because of the lingering COVID mandate.
So, I wonder why the government allows the RBA to continue increasing interest rates when it doesn’t seem to reduce unemployment or to cool of the demand-vs-supply heat.
I think Australia has high debt to China and the recent rate increases seem to help AUD-CNY exchange rate and bring down the cost of debt servicing. I may be wrong but this continued interest rate increase really hurts my mortgage payments.

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpeg
    IMG_0013.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 0
I have heard of some people going to these Food banks when in reality they go because they think they can. It is most unfair of them to have this belief.. I have known hardship when my children were younger as one was a sick child and in those days you had to have a hospital Benefit membership to help with medical costs. No free medical was available, especially in country towns. I learnt to make nourishing meals e.g neck chops for a casserole and other cheaper cuts of meat. We managed to also be able to have plenty of fruit. We had NO holidays nor any of the obvious things the younger generation believe they must have such as holidays, nail manicures etc. I also made all our children's clothes as I loved to sew so really on a very low wage we managed.

Really teachers, nurses and lawyers. Anyone, can fall on hard times. But really, anyone should look at themselves before using utilising the privilege of a food bank. These are for people in need, not because people want cheaper food or handouts.
Yes my mind boggled as well. These people have very well paid jobs do not qualify for health care cards, drive often expensive or near new cars live in homes larger than needed made poor financial decisions by not ensuring they can live within their means. On a couples pension we live on less than $900 a week we go without dinning out no takeaway food no vices because if we did we wouldn’t be able to eat. No streaming paid TV. We get by and do not use food charity services. People should have to complete a budget with the services before gaining access to food relief I am sure if some of the luxury entitlements such as Netflix, Kayo, Foxtel, eating out once a week getting takeaways buying coffees and lunches when at work were stopped they wouldn’t need food relief. Those genuinely in need are missing out as supply does not meet demand. It’s the luck of the draw 1st in best dresses. Of course those who really need the help most often don’t have cars and have to use public transport or walk so of course they are not first in and left with little. Gosh interest rates went as high as 18% when we brought our 1st home. We had to sell a car and motor bike the kids moved to the local public school and manage with one car both parents working. We survived we cut back on a lot but always had the essentials we needed and paid our mortgage and bills. We did not go looking for handouts. We were brought up to understand our responsibilities to our family and commitment to provide the best we could. Not like today were people think it is wrong to have to cut back and believe they are entitled to luxuries we never had will never have. So hence they cry poor and take from others with little or nothing.

View attachment 21535

View attachment 21536

Key Takeaways

growing your own helps a lot, even if its only in pots on the veranda of a High rise apartment, if you get on well with your neighbours then maybe take turns at growing different things and exchanging the items with each other or even selling the excess at a cheap price....

I’d need to know more about the overall financial circumstances of the professionals using these services. I know people both young and old, who complain about the current cost of living endlessly, but have their nails done fortnightly, their hair coloured and cut on a regular basis and a complete wardrobe update every change of season. Gym membership is a must have.

I’m aware that not all people fall into this category, but many, many do. They drive up to date vehicles and choose to rent or buy in higher end areas. Their kids have all the latest gadgets and insist on wearing designer brand clothes. The most common sentence I hear is: ‘I deserve a little treat.’ Why? Especially when that ‘treat’ costs more than a weekly grocery bill.

As I say, this doesn’t apply to all professionals, but priorities have changed rapidly and markedly over the last 50 years. A reckoning is coming unfortunately, if it’s not already here.
And we will all wear it wether or not we contribute to it!

I agree with you wholeheartedly, my Grandson and his wife have moved back home to live with Mum an Dad......the Grand-daughter in-law doesn't seem to think she has to work and they both go to the gym 7 days a week, sped a fortune on gym junkie supplements and both puffing on toxic vapes....s##t for brains as far as I'm concerned..

There should be an income limit on those claiming "poor" at a food bank who are working with a wage over $90,000. It is obvious these people don't or won't set a budget to save money. Sell the big shiny car, get rid of all the unnecessary electronics, cook all meals at home and SET a Budget. Also, moving to a smaller home with a reduced mortgage might help.

And that is why I don't and won't support food banks,,,there are to many well off people taking advantage of them,,greedy self entitled people who wouldn't even think of donating to charity,,,I have a friend who works with a homeless person,,,what I don't use goes to him and he passes it on the the homeless person,,At least that way I know it's going where it is needed,,,the greed of people is astronomical these days

Reading the responses here I am glad that I wasn't the only one that felt gobsmacked by this article. I have never sought or expected anything for nothing. That is how I was brought up and how I believe all children should be raised.
Regarding the foodbank issue and it's abuse by working professionals, priority has to be for those genuinely in need not, and I feel strongly about this, for those whose priorities are self-gratification and excess.
Priorities, in order of importance, should be:
Rent or mortgage, food, utilities and medical. If, after these are taken care of and only then, any money remains it can be saved or spent on a treat. Hey we all need something to look forward to.
A little bit of common sense and a realistic approach to lifestyle makes all the difference between being comfortable or feeling deprived.
For the record, I am a 70yo man, live alone with 2 dogs, have been living on the age pension for 5 years, am fortunate enough to be in government housing - which I was prioritised after a heart attack and other health issues some years ago - and I cook a meal every day. My pantry and fridge are never empty. I do on occasion go to a movie or treat myself to a meal out, mea culpa, but the first thing I do on pension day is plan my meals for the fortnight. I don't drive so it means a couple of trips to the supermarket. Luckily I enjoy supermarket shopping so it is a treat in itself. I do a shop for perishables every 3 or 4 days and grow pots of herbs on my window sill.
Sorry if this is long winded but I am trying to make a point here. If, at my age and with my health issues, I can live well on the pension and always have food for myself and my 2 dogs, why are these working "professionals" depleting resources intended for those in need?
It is a bit like the dole debate discussed here recently, keep giving them free stuff and they become dependent on it. Eventually they rort the systems put in place to lend a hand to people who need it, those trying to get back on their feet.
Rant over 🤔

View attachment 21535

View attachment 21536

Key Takeaways

My wife works I can't because of issues with my health, we eat a lot of bread and cheese toasted plain. We can't afford vegetables or meat sometimes, If I see something that is out of date I will buy and try to make ameal it into a stew, I'm on the Tweed Heads side of cooly I don't know if there is a food bank here.????

Australia; a country with the resources to do anything and the courage to do nothing so that our elderly and downtrodden must live in poverty; Australia, a country where the indignant run around snarling at those who through misfortune and bad luck are denied support; Australia, a country of dog-eat-dog and the devil takes the hindmost. Australia; a banker's paradise.

Reading the responses here I am glad that I wasn't the only one that felt gobsmacked by this article. I have never sought or expected anything for nothing. That is how I was brought up and how I believe all children should be raised.
Regarding the foodbank issue and it's abuse by working professionals, priority has to be for those genuinely in need not, and I feel strongly about this, for those whose priorities are self-gratification and excess.
Priorities, in order of importance, should be:
Rent or mortgage, food, utilities and medical. If, after these are taken care of and only then, any money remains it can be saved or spent on a treat. Hey we all need something to look forward to.
A little bit of common sense and a realistic approach to lifestyle makes all the difference between being comfortable or feeling deprived.
For the record, I am a 70yo man, live alone with 2 dogs, have been living on the age pension for 5 years, am fortunate enough to be in government housing - which I was prioritised after a heart attack and other health issues some years ago - and I cook a meal every day. My pantry and fridge are never empty. I do on occasion go to a movie or treat myself to a meal out, mea culpa, but the first thing I do on pension day is plan my meals for the fortnight. I don't drive so it means a couple of trips to the supermarket. Luckily I enjoy supermarket shopping so it is a treat in itself. I do a shop for perishables every 3 or 4 days and grow pots of herbs on my window sill.
Sorry if this is long winded but I am trying to make a point here. If, at my age and with my health issues, I can live well on the pension and always have food for myself and my 2 dogs, why are these working "professionals" depleting resources intended for those in need?
It is a bit like the dole debate discussed here recently, keep giving them free stuff and they become dependent on it. Eventually they rort the systems put in place to lend a hand to people who need it, those trying to get back on their feet.
Rant over 🤔
Not a rant. You have Life values.

food banks are not for people with jobs that pay more than the pension or disability. I am appalled as I read this. Stop buying pre packaged foods, pre prepared vegetables and learn to cook. If you can read, you can cook. The charity shops have a vast array of cook books at incredibly cheap prices. If you have television watch cooking programs. It’s not rocket science. I’m 77 years old and I live very well on my disability pension. I am blessed to live in subsidised accomodation provided by the RSL here in Victoria, thanks to my husband having served in the armed forces for over 22 years. He was in the Commonwealth forces so I feel very privilege. I still pay just under $1,000 a month. I have NBN, Fetch TV, a cat, a large heating bill as I’m very sedentary due to illness usually around $350 a quarter. I manage to save a little money each month. I very rarely go to the shops myself and rely on Coles to get groceries. I am never without food, I may get a takeaway once or twice a year. I am able to budget and set a menu for the month usually around $3.50 per day for meals. I am like so many of my generation
a good cook. I usually eat 2 slices of toast or a sandwich for breakfast, lunch is often a 2 egg omelette with a small salad of tomato, lettuce, cucumber, and dinner may be a casserole of beef, chicken or lamb with loads of carrots, celery, leek, zucchinI, mushrooms etc. sometimes with potatoes, rice or pasta. I find whole chickens very cheap and easy to use. Even a small chicken will serve me 6 portions. 2 breasts, 2 legs, wings and a carcass which make stock or soup. My vegetable and chicken soup uses, 4-6 carrots, 3-4 sticks celery, 1 leek, 2 onions, sometimes mushrooms, 1-2 zucchini Plus a cup of red lentils or maybe other lentils and homemade stock. If I’m lucky I have a little bacon maybe 2 slices which I add or bacon bones. This makes about six large portions. I can make Eight chicken and vegetable pies out of 1 chicken and yes i use pre-made pastry. A kilo of heart smart beef, lamb or pork mince is a joy to work with and will make a cottage pie with 6 good portions, a pasta sauce used for bolognese, lasagne or other pasta dish and a meat pie or two. So where are these entitled people using their money. If I am able to manage and buy cat food, clothing, gas, toiletries etc and live very well on my pension and I understand that I’m fortunate to live in subsidised accomodation which is such a blessing, it makes a huge difference but my pension is $2,000 + a month so anyone with more shouldn’t have too many issues, although running a car is expensive. People who are working should be able to manage and not abuse the food bank system. There are a
ways exceptions but really, get a grip people.