I get a similar look when I tell people I don't drink beer. I have just never acquired a taste for beer in spite of many tastes. However, wine is a different matter.
I got so sick and tired of people trying to force me to drink telling me what I'm missing, etc.
I grew up in an environment with little to no alcohol involved and where most women never drank.
Growing up I couldn't bear the taste of alcohol and still don't, to this day.
So, years ago I started telling people I was actually a recovering alcoholic and had been clean for almost 2 years.
No one harrasses me anymore!!!

I am a recovering alcoholic and, apart from a celebratory glass or red on my 70th birthday, have been dry sine 1 August 2021. And I feel so much better for it (as does my liver). Coincidentally, today I had my last cigarette. I hope that lasts as well. :):unsure:

I drove and took passengers to my 70th birthday party. You would think I was an oddity by the stares and expression of disbelief. I don’t need alcohol to have a good time

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ezzy and mOiOz
I am a recovering alcoholic and, apart from a celebratory glass or red on my 70th birthday, have been dry sine 1 August 2021. And I feel so much better for it (as does my liver). Coincidentally, today I had my last cigarette. I hope that lasts as well. :):unsure:
Best of luck with the ciggies. When I gave up, I only did it for one day, then having achieved that I did one more day, a very short term goal & easily achievable. Then one more day & that is now more than 34 years ago. Good luck, I'm sure you will; do it.

Best of luck with the ciggies. When I gave up, I only did it for one day, then having achieved that I did one more day, a very short term goal & easily achievable. Then one more day & that is now more than 34 years ago. Good luck, I'm sure you will; do it.
Well done. I wish family
Members could have achieved same. Such a waste of life

Reactions: Ezzy and mOiOz
174I am a recovering alcoholic and, apart from a celebratory glass or red on my 70th birthday, have been dry sine 1 August 2021. And I feel so much better for it (as does my liver). Coincidentally, today I had my last cigarette. I hope that lasts as well. :):unsure:
Well done SM17453 it's been 13 months since I last had a drink and I am getting ahead in leaps and bounds, l have no desire to drink alcohol again

I have 3-4 'Schooies' of XXXX with a dash of lemonade on Thurs., nights & maybe the same on a' Sundy ' night at the club. The lemonade just sweetens it up a bit. All over a 4-5 hrs each, in company of my wife. No harm done. As I always say, "Each To Their Own", & Great Work & Good Luck to those who don't partake in the beverage.

I have 3-4 'Schooies' of XXXX with a dash of lemonade on Thurs., nights & maybe the same on a' Sundy ' night at the club. The lemonade just sweetens it up a bit. All over a 4-5 hrs each, in company of my wife. No harm done. As I always say, "Each To Their Own", & Great Work & Good Luck to those who don't partake in the beverage.
Everything in moderation = Too much of a good thing is no good...!

Further to my post. Forgot to mention, I don't touch the Fags. I gave up fags when I was A 16 yr old apprentice butcher. I bought my 1st pkt of Peter Styvesants filtertips , smoked 3 of 'em at morn tea. I said to my butcher mate Billy sitting opposite & said, "Do you like the Styvesants'? He said, Yes & then I tossed 'em over to him & never touched a fag ever again well over 60 many moons ago.

Further to my post. Forgot to mention, I don't touch the Fags. I gave up fags when I was A 16 yr old apprentice butcher. I bought my 1st pkt of Peter Styvesants filtertips , smoked 3 of 'em at morn tea. I said to my butcher mate Billy sitting opposite & said, "Do you like the Styvesants'? He said, Yes & then I tossed 'em over to him & never touched a fag ever again well over 60 many moons ago.
Similar thing with me... tried cigarettes at age 17, to piss off my folks.
Approx 10 half cigarettes later... they won. Never touched one again! :rolleyes:

Similar thing with me... tried cigarettes at age 17, to piss off my folks.
Approx 10 half cigarettes later... they won. Never touched one again! :rolleyes:
My parents found the Midway Little Cigars my brother & l hid in the woodpile & offered us one each when we came home from Sunday School. I think we were in primary school at the time. We took one each & dad lit them then said 'suck harder you aren't doing it right', advice coming from an ex smoker. Soon cured me but then l really didn't like them anyway.

Not smoking or drinking reminds me of the saying that went around when we were younger:- "l don't drink & l don't smoke. Damn. I left my bloody pipe at the pub".

• Haha
Reactions: mOiOz and Tervueren