Terrifying mid-air brawl: Window shatters during two intense fights on flight

It's a scenario that nobody wants to imagine happening during a flight, but unfortunately, it became a reality for passengers on a recent Cairns to Darwin journey.

According to reports, two mid-air altercations occurred during the April 20 flight, resulting in one of the plane's windows being shattered. By the end of the flight, four passengers had been arrested.

It was a terrifying flight – a horrific scene of chaos, fists flying and a smashed window; all played out as panicked passengers looked on.

The April 20 flight departed Cairns, bound for Darwin, with a stopover in Alyangula on Groote Eylandt in the Northern Territory.

However, an altercation between passengers prompted the decision to turn the plane around and land back in Cairns, according to police.

plane1.jpg
Passengers and crew aboard the unidentified flight between Cairns and Darwin were left horrified after altercations broke out. Credit: Shane Kell/Pexels

Australian Federal Police (AFP) and Northern Territory Police confirmed that charges were laid.

‘The AFP was called to attend an incident on a flight from Cairns to Groote Eylandt, which had caused the flight to be turned around, on Thursday, April 20,’ a spokesperson for AFP told reporters.

When the first alleged incident broke out, the plane was forced to turn back to Queensland and remove one of the passengers. A woman was charged by the AFP with disorderly behaviour, assault and failing to comply with the safety instructions provided by the airline crew.

Then, the unnamed airline attempted to make another trip across Northern Australia a second time.

But the same group of passengers involved in the first alleged incident began arguing again, which resulted in another fight. The second incident was caught on camera.

plane2.jpg
The second incident allegedly shows a passenger raising a bottle over their head. Credit: JetSkiBandit/Twitter

In a video released online, a group of rowdy passengers stand near the aisle, where one of them could be seen raising a bottle above their head, seemingly to strike another passenger.

The second brawl resulted in one of the plane’s windows getting smashed.

The pilot was forced to land the plane at Alyangula on Groote Eylandt and was met by NT police, who arrested the three passengers.

According to reports, a 23-year-old male was charged with intentionally endangering, damage to property, public disorderly behaviour, contravention of a domestic violence order and aggravated assault.

A 22-year-old woman was also charged with drug offences, hindering a police officer and public disorderly behaviour.

The last passenger, a 23-year-old woman, was charged with intentionally endangering, damage to property and public disorderly behaviour.

The aircraft carrier's name hasn't been revealed.

What happens when an aeroplane window breaks during a flight?

Plane windows usually have two layers. The initial layer, designed to provide a layer of insulation, can become loose or scratched. If this layer is damaged, it won’t cause any real harm to the plane or the passengers.

The exterior windows are made with solid glass, designed to withstand high altitudes and wind pressure.

What Happens if an Airplane Window Breaks__.jpg
Plane windows breaking are very rare. Image credit: The Seniors Discount Club

Cases of the outer layers breaking are rare, but if it does happen, you can expect the airline to get very noisy because of the wind. The cabin will also lose air pressure, and it will get chilly and foggy.

However, while incredibly uncomfortable, it is still a safe situation. Flight attendants are well-trained and will have a series of airline-specific procedures that they will perform if a window breaks.
Key Takeaways

• Four people have been charged after two alleged mid-air altercations on a flight from Queensland, one of which resulted in a broken plane window.
  • The flight on April 20 departed Cairns bound for Darwin, with a stopover in Alyangula on Groote Eylandt in the Northern Territory.
  • A fight that allegedly took place between passengers prompted the decision to turn the plane around and land back in Cairns, police say.
  • When the plane arrived in Alyangula, NT, police officers arrested and charged three people for various offences.
Have you ever had a frightening experience while travelling, or do you know anyone who has? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
It's a scenario that nobody wants to imagine happening during a flight, but unfortunately, it became a reality for passengers on a recent Cairns to Darwin journey.

According to reports, two mid-air altercations occurred during the April 20 flight, resulting in one of the plane's windows being shattered. By the end of the flight, four passengers had been arrested.

It was a terrifying flight – a horrific scene of chaos, fists flying and a smashed window; all played out as panicked passengers looked on.

The April 20 flight departed Cairns, bound for Darwin, with a stopover in Alyangula on Groote Eylandt in the Northern Territory.

However, an altercation between passengers prompted the decision to turn the plane around and land back in Cairns, according to police.

View attachment 18338
Passengers and crew aboard the unidentified flight between Cairns and Darwin were left horrified after altercations broke out. Credit: Shane Kell/Pexels

Australian Federal Police (AFP) and Northern Territory Police confirmed that charges were laid.

‘The AFP was called to attend an incident on a flight from Cairns to Groote Eylandt, which had caused the flight to be turned around, on Thursday, April 20,’ a spokesperson for AFP told reporters.

When the first alleged incident broke out, the plane was forced to turn back to Queensland and remove one of the passengers. A woman was charged by the AFP with disorderly behaviour, assault and failing to comply with the safety instructions provided by the airline crew.

Then, the unnamed airline attempted to make another trip across Northern Australia a second time.

But the same group of passengers involved in the first alleged incident began arguing again, which resulted in another fight. The second incident was caught on camera.

View attachment 18339
The second incident allegedly shows a passenger raising a bottle over their head. Credit: JetSkiBandit/Twitter

In a video released online, a group of rowdy passengers stand near the aisle, where one of them could be seen raising a bottle above their head, seemingly to strike another passenger.

The pilot was forced to land the plane at Alyangula on Groote Eylandt and was met by NT police, who arrested the three passengers.

According to reports, a 23-year-old male was charged with intentionally endangering, damage to property, public disorderly behaviour, contravention of a domestic violence order and aggravated assault.

A 22-year-old woman was also charged with drug offences, hindering a police officer and public disorderly behaviour.

The last passenger, a 23-year-old woman, was charged with intentionally endangering, damage to property and public disorderly behaviour.

Plane windows usually have two layers. The initial layer, designed to provide a layer of insulation, can become loose or scratched. If this layer is damaged, it won’t cause any real harm to the plane or the passengers.

The exterior windows are made with solid glass, designed to withstand high altitudes and wind pressure.

View attachment 18371

Cases of the outer layers breaking are rare, but if it does happen, you can expect the airline to get very noisy because of the wind. The cabin will also lose air pressure, and it will get chilly and foggy.

However, while incredibly uncomfortable, it is still a safe situation. Flight attendants are well-trained and will have a series of airline-specific procedures that they will perform if a window breaks.
Key Takeaways

• Four people have been charged after two alleged mid-air altercations on a flight from Queensland, one of which resulted in a broken plane window.
  • The flight on April 20 departed Cairns bound for Darwin, with a stopover in Alyangula on Groote Eylandt in the Northern Territory.
  • A fight that allegedly took place between passengers prompted the decision to turn the plane around and land back in Cairns, police say.
  • When the plane arrived in Alyangula, NT, police officers arrested and charged three people for various offences.
Have you ever had a frightening experience while travelling, or do you know anyone who has? Let us know in the comments below.
No. What is the matter with people these days? I am truly glad I will not be around to see this world fall into ruin if not already.

all passengers on certain flights carrying certain (un-named) people should undergo alcohol and drug testing prior to getting on the plane. Much the same as having your bags inspected for water bottles at the gate

Reactions: MariaG and Ricci
It would definitely frighten me. Maybe they should be barred from flying again. If they go to court they will be given a slap on the wrist .

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 18338

View attachment 18339

View attachment 18371

Key Takeaways

And this is why people like me won’t fly🥲

I have always believed that alcohol shouldn't be served on planes and anyone who is intoxicated before take off shouldn't be allowed on.
I have seen plenty of bogan white trash also on planes carrying on in a disgusting manner .
Hostesses shouldn't have to put up with this type of behaviour and neither should fare paying passengers.
I enjoy a drink myself, but still feel it is not necessary to be drinking while travelling. Alcohol is such a problem, well perhaps not the alcohol so much as the idiots who don't know when enough is enough.

How is it possible that the windows can break - surely they should be break resistant-for all unforseen circumstances and for safety of non-fighting passengers!

I have always believed that alcohol shouldn't be served on planes and anyone who is intoxicated before take off shouldn't be allowed on.
I have seen plenty of bogan white trash also on planes carrying on in a disgusting manner .
Hostesses shouldn't have to put up with this type of behaviour and neither should fare paying passengers.
I enjoy a drink myself, but still feel it is not necessary to be drinking while travelling. Alcohol is such a problem, well perhaps not the alcohol so much as the idiots who don't know when enough is enough.
agree but i am sick of the sensible being punished for the idiots. you can tell a drunk before they get on so honestly maybe some of these air hostesses need a lesson on sobriety. i do not believe i should forgo my drink because of an idiot.

I
agree but i am sick of the sensible being punished for the idiots. you can tell a drunk before they get on so honestly maybe some of these air hostesses need a lesson on sobriety. i do not believe i should forgo my drink because of an idiot.
I know what you mean but I honestly would gladly give my drink a miss to have a peaceful flight, I'm not that desperate for a drink that I can't wait until Iarrive at my destination.
Must admit that it would be a pain if you were on a long flight.
Surely it would not be that difficult for them to keep a record of the number of drinks they have served and then refuse service to anyone who has gone over the limit. After all isn't that supposed to be what pubs are expected to do.

Reactions: Loubeauxarts
My apologies, I didn't mean to insinuate that you were desperate for a drink, just generalising about the yobos who can't hold their liquor and make a damn nuisance of themselves.
When flying from Perth to Bali for instance, you need to be at the airport 4 hours before take off. These yobos go to the bar, get themselves plastered, miss the call for loading, hold everybody up, then when they're on the plane, from the start they are loud, foul language etc. and still they are served more liquor. Go figure
It's no wonder Australians have a terrible reputation in Bali, it's an embarrassment to admit you are Aussie.

in ref to pubs and counting. in your dreams sorry. i am not desperate i just like my home comforts when and wherever i may travel.

Just explaining the inner layer window is acoustic only (the one that broke.) The outer window is quite thick perspex,(not glass) very difficult to break, I know as I am an aircraft engineer with Qantas & have replaced lots of them.Totally agree that intoxicated people should not be allowed to board the aircraft

Reactions: Cyberchook
And this is why people like me won’t fly🥲
I'm with you.
Hubby and I don't travel anywhere that can't be reached on a day trip by car. Also, we don't drink or use uncommon mental stimulants. People who embark on a plane are right nit wits if they think being intoxicated is a good idea. Two feet on the ground for us.

Just explaining the inner layer window is acoustic only (the one that broke.) The outer window is quite thick perspex,(not glass) very difficult to break, I know as I am an aircraft engineer with Qantas & have replaced lots of them.Totally agree that intoxicated people should not be allowed to board the aircraft
Thankyou for the explanation Michael - i was thinking, that it should not be glass! - good to know, thanks for the clarification, medical episodes can also happen when a person is intoxicated and in the air, different pressure etc. Can't imagine being in that situation where you can't just up and leave-trapped!

all passengers on certain flights carrying certain (un-named) people should undergo alcohol and drug testing prior to getting on the plane. Much the same as having your bags inspected for water bottles at the gate
why water bottles?