Tennis icon Chris Evert's cancer battle takes a new turn

Tennis fans around the world were saddened to learn that legendary athlete Chris Evert has been diagnosed with ovarian cancer for the second time.

Evert, 68, has recently announced her second ovarian cancer diagnosis since 2021.

Despite this setback, Evert remains resilient, stating that she will not be broadcasting at the Australian Open during her treatment, but has made a firm commitment to return to ESPN's booth 'for the rest of the Grand Slam season'.

The Hall of Famer's announcement on Friday that her ovarian cancer had returned was met with an outpouring of support from fans and fellow athletes alike.

SDC 22.png
Chris Evert revealed her second battle with ovarian cancer. Image source: Instagram/@chrissieevert.

Evert, known for her tenacity both on and off the court, has chosen to face this challenge head-on.

'While this is a diagnosis I never wanted to hear, I once again feel fortunate that it was caught early,' Evert said.

'Doctors found cancer cells in the same pelvic region. All cells were removed, and I have begun another round of chemotherapy.'

Evert's first encounter with stage 1 BRCA-related ovarian cancer was in December of 2021.

'I've lived a very charmed life. Now I have some challenges ahead of me,' she said as she revealed her diagnosis in January of 2022.

'But I have comfort in knowing the chemotherapy is to ensure that cancer does not come back.'

She then completed chemotherapy in May of 2022, and her doctor expressed confidence that the disease would not return due to its early detection.

However, cancer is a formidable opponent, and Evert now finds herself back in the fight.

The 18-time Grand Slam singles champion is no stranger to adversity.

Her sister, Jeanne Evert Dubin, tragically succumbed to ovarian cancer in February 2020 at the age of 62.

Evert has since used her platform to advocate for early detection and awareness, saying, 'Be your own advocate. Know your family's history. Have total awareness of your body, follow your gut and be aware of changes.'

'Don't try to be a crusader and think this will pass.'

Evert's journey with cancer has been a rollercoaster of emotions. Less than a year ago, she announced that she was cancer-free, with a 90 per cent chance that the disease would not return.

When her sister was first diagnosed, doctors did not recommend that Evert or her siblings get tested. However, genetic testing later revealed that Jeanne had a BRCA-1 variant of 'uncertain significance.'

This variant was later reclassified as pathogenic, leading to Evert's own testing and subsequent diagnosis.

Evert's proactive approach to her health likely saved her life. She scheduled a preventative hysterectomy, during which doctors discovered malignant cells and a tumour in her left fallopian tube.

This early detection allowed for immediate treatment, preventing the disease from progressing to a more advanced stage.

'My doctor said if left undiscovered, in four months' time, I would probably have been Stage 3 like Jeanne, with very few options,' Evert shared.

'Instead, I was diagnosed with Stage 1 ovarian cancer, and I immediately began six rounds of chemotherapy.'

'BRCA mutations are associated with an up to 75 per cent risk of developing breast cancer and an increased risk of prostate and pancreatic cancer as well,' Evert said.

Evert's revelation led her to undergo a double mastectomy, a decision she made to reduce her risk.

'When it comes to deciding between surveillance or surgery, everyone's choice is personal,' Evert said.

'The most important thing is not to leave things to chance. Of the 25 million women and men worldwide who have a BRCA mutation, only 10 per cent know they are carriers.'

'When I talk to people about genetic testing, so many people say, "It's too scary to know." I'm here to tell you, it's scarier not to.'
Key Takeaways
  • Tennis icon Chris Evert has been diagnosed with ovarian cancer for the second time since 2021.
  • She will not be broadcasting at the upcoming Australian Open as she undergoes treatment.
  • Evert has expressed optimism, stating she feels fortunate it was caught early and is confident about returning for the rest of the Grand Slam season.
  • Evert has been vocal about the importance of genetic testing and awareness, having lost her sister to the same disease in 2020.
Have you, or a loved one, ever been affected by ovarian cancer? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Who said that healthy eating and exercise can prevent cancer?
People have told me that healthy eating and exercise can prevent a myriad of diseases including cancer, cardiovascular, diabetes etc etc. From my perspective, it can unless there are genetics involved. Many years ago, I removed my 'bits' to prevent ovarian cancer.
Sad to hear about your sister too.

Reactions: Ezzy