Telstra gives away free mobile phones to 12,000 customers—find out if you're qualified!

As technology continues to advance at a lightning-fast rate, some of our go-to devices may not be able to keep up.

These advances, though helpful, may leave many people left behind even in essential services such as emergency calling.

As Telstra's 3G services are set to shut down on August 31, the telecommunication giant announced an initiative to ensure vulnerable customers will be included in the 4G network shift.

Telstra will give away 12,000 free mobile phones to eligible customers to prepare for the upcoming network shift.

This initiative supports those who may be at a disadvantage due to age, location, financial hardship, or the aftermath of natural disasters.

Telstra's commitment to aiding customers testifies to the company's understanding of the critical role communication plays in our lives.

compressed-mobilephones.jpeg
Several devices will lose access to emergency hotline services after the 3G network shutdown, causing concern for many community members. Image Credit: Pexels/Anna Shvets

For many seniors and individuals in rural communities, the transition to a new technology can be daunting, especially when access to physical stores or support networks is limited.

Telstra's proactive approach to identifying and reaching out to those who need extra help is a commendable effort to bridge the digital divide.

They have pre-identified selected customers as requiring additional support, and they will be contacted directly in the coming weeks.

The recipients will be provided with instructions on how to activate their new devices and switch to the 4G network, ensuring a smooth transition.

Major Brendan Nottle from The Salvation Army lauded this initiative, as it recognised the profound impact that connectivity can have on the well-being of vulnerable community members.

However, the clock is ticking for those who have yet to upgrade their devices.

Telstra has been issuing reminders via pre-recorded messages during outgoing calls on mobile devices that are still on the 3G network.

Mobile phones will not be the only devices that will be affected by the 3G shutdown; smartwatches, tablets, medical alarms, EFTPOS terminals, and security monitors that rely on the 3G network will also need upgrades or replacements to ensure continued functionality.

The message is clear: act now before it's too late.

If you're a Telstra customer and have yet to receive a notification, you may contact Telstra to inquire about your eligibility for a free upgrade.

Don't wait until the last minute, as the discontinuation of 3G services could leave you without a vital communication tool.

We understand the importance of staying connected and the challenges that technological changes can pose.

We encourage our members to take advantage of Telstra's offer if eligible and to seek assistance from family, friends, or community services if needed to make the transition to 4G.
Key Takeaways

• Telstra will give away 12,000 free mobile phones to eligible customers to facilitate the transition from 3G to 4G networks.
  • Prioritised customers include the elderly, those living in rural regions, and others facing difficult circumstances, such as financial hardship or recovery from natural disasters.
  • Telstra will contact eligible customers with instructions on how to make the network switch before the 3G network shutdown on August 31.
  • Major Brendan Nottle from The Salvation Army commended this initiative for helping to maintain connections for the most vulnerable in society, emphasising the importance of digital inclusion.
Are you eligible for Telstra's latest initiative? Have you received your free phone from Telstra, or are you planning to upgrade soon? Share your experiences and thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
My husbands phone retired in 2007 and he’s never had one since. We live in rural Queensland and I’ve just been diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma. He is in his late 70’s, so I’m thinking he may be eligible for one of these phones?

My sister, who lives in a shed in a country area, was notified she would receive a new phone and care package from Telstra. She received a last years model Samsung phone a couple of days ago. It didn’t cost her anything. She has been a Telstra customer for a long time and has often put in complaints about her service where she lives as it is very much stop and start in that area so maybe that is why she got the phone. I’m sure Telstra makes enough profit to fund this initiativ.

Reactions: Ezzy and Jo Piper3
I have received a new mobile from Telstra as I need contact 24/7. It is a Samsung 5G. Being suspicious of everything these days, I contacted Telstra direct to check how much extra this would cost me and I was assured that it would not have any effect on my bills. Thank you Telstra 10/10.

Mum is 87 and losing the phone she’s used to use.
Love to get mum a phone simple to use.
Any idea on what one to buy?
I have just bought a Telstra Lite 3 4G - about 149.00 - simple to use with a bigger screen. No swiping and a simple keypad.

Reactions: Ezzy and Gsr
Will Optus follow suit?

I'm with Optus and have been advised by repeated SMS that my phone will be useless come September. Strange thing is that I own a Motorola phone which is 4G compatible. Talk about a sneaky way to drum up business!

Reactions: Cheezil
Good ol Telstra. Ensuring everyone stays locked into the 'system'. I believe that aligns with the 2030 Agenda. Think twice...

Reactions: Cheezil
I don't qualify as I'm with Optus and their best offer is to give their customers $400.00 towards a new phone when they cut off the 3G phones which they claim mine is but it only ever shows the 4G symbol. Having said that they also expect you to buy a new phone from one of their stores but they don't stock Nokia phones which is what I have always had and what I want now. So at the end of the day I am either going to have to pull money which I don't have out of a crevice in my body to buy a new one myself or just go without a phone and be uncontactable for the rest of my life.

I don't qualify as I'm with Optus and their best offer is to give their customers $400.00 towards a new phone when they cut off the 3G phones which they claim mine is but it only ever shows the 4G symbol. Having said that they also expect you to buy a new phone from one of their stores but they don't stock Nokia phones which is what I have always had and what I want now. So at the end of the day I am either going to have to pull money which I don't have out of a crevice in my body to buy a new one myself or just go without a phone and be uncontactable for the rest of my life.
What model do you have - I may be able to find out for you.