Telstra experiences major mobile network outage across Australia

Telstra is currently experiencing a significant outage that has left its customers across the country feeling extremely frustrated. The outage is affecting Telstra's mobile network, and it is unclear when the company will be able to fix the national issue and restore its network.

The problem began on Monday night (May 8) and seemed to peak shortly after 10 pm, with reports of the outage flooding in from all across the nation. This inconvenience is especially unfortunate for Telstra's clients, who may need to make or receive urgent calls during late-night hours.

Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 9.13.19 AM.png
Telstra customers experienced a major nationwide outage, affecting their ability to make and receive calls. Credit: Shutterstock.

Telstra has issued an apology for the 'late-night hassle' that its customers faced, and explained they are doing their best to fix the problem.

On their website, Telstra has stated that their technicians are 'working urgently' to fix an issue that is preventing customers from making and receiving voice calls. They are also attempting to identify the root of the problem. Despite their efforts, it remains unclear when the issue will be resolved.

In the meantime, Telstra customers may need to seek alternative means of communication until the issue is resolved.

Fortunately, while Telstra customers are currently frustrated due to a major outage affecting the telco's mobile network, there is some good news. According to reports, everything else — including Triple Zero calls and mobile data services — is still functioning as expected, providing some relief for customers in distress.

If your mobile phone is not functioning properly, Telstra has suggested two potential solutions that customers can try at home. These include:
  • switching your phone to aeroplane mode and then switching it off again,
  • or alternatively using Wi-Fi calling or an over-the-top service.

Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 9.13.08 AM.png
The outage began on Monday night, and Telstra acknowledged the issue the following morning, attributing it to an unspecified problem. Credit: DownDetector.com.au.

As of 8:30 am today (May 9), Telstra has noted that the majority of affected customers were located in NSW and Queensland. They remain hopeful that most people will have phone service back up and running soon.

The company has not provided any further updates on the matter, but customers can stay informed by checking Telstra's website or social media pages for any developments.

Key Takeaways

• Australian telecommunications company Telstra experienced a major mobile network outage that affected customers nationwide, beginning on Monday night.
  • The outage prevented customers from making and receiving voice calls, but Triple Zero calls and mobile data services were still functioning normally.
  • Telstra technicians worked urgently to address the issue, and by 8:30 am, most of the affected customers were located in NSW and Queensland.
  • The company expressed hope that phone service would be restored soon.

In the event that you are still experiencing issues placing or receiving calls later today, we recommend contacting your local Telstra customer service team online and explaining the situation. They will be able to provide you with further guidance and support.

We understand how frustrating it can be to experience disruptions to your mobile service, and we hope that you receive the assistance you need soon!

AS OF 10:30 AM (May 9), an update regarding the Telstra mobile network outage is now available. According to a post on Telstra's official Twitter page, the issue has been resolved. The company announced that customers can now make mobile calls without any hindrance.

Telstra thanked its customers for their patience and understanding during the outage and encouraged those who continue to face issues with their mobile phones to retry their calls. Some customers may also need to switch aeroplane mode on and off on their phones to rectify the problem. If you’re unsure of how to switch aeroplane mode on and off, please watch the video below.

Credit: DIYPinto.

Credit: PhoneBuff.

Overall, the network outage that impacted Telstra customers across the country has been fixed, and normal services have been restored. Customers can contact Telstra support (or call 13 22 00) if they continue to experience any further issues or check the company's website for any further updates.

We are so sorry if you were inconvenienced by this outage overnight or early this morning, members. Hopefully, you will face no further issues!

Sponsored
I'm with Vodafone so didn't have any problems but my mother and brother did and he couldn't make calls he was getting messages with each number that ut was discontinued he did however called me at 6.45 am this morning and woke me up . He said Goodmorning Sis just seeing if your phone was working apparently it was only telstra to telstra as he was able to call me.

WHO CALLS SOMEONE THAT EARLY IN THE MORNING 🌄

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Jarred Santos
Remember that there are a few phone/internet companies that use the Telstra/NBN Network system. The larger companies use their own systems and also use Telstra/NBN infrastructures

Telstra the nations main network, ha. Most older Australians only have this network, they don't have mobile phones, nor are there any public phones available for use. If you cant access the 000 how do you report an emergency.
Who looks after this network, or rather, who is responsible for the emergency network?
A person is being assaulted, an ambulance is required, a house is on fire?
Saying I'm not with Telstra and have not problem is fine, me to, I'm not with them either, but if our emergency system is reliant on an outdated service there definitely is a problem.

Telstra the nations main network, ha. Most older Australians only have this network, they don't have mobile phones, nor are there any public phones available for use. If you cant access the 000 how do you report an emergency.
Who looks after this network, or rather, who is responsible for the emergency network?
A person is being assaulted, an ambulance is required, a house is on fire?
Saying I'm not with Telstra and have not problem is fine, me to, I'm not with them either, but if our emergency system is reliant on an outdated service there definitely is a problem.
They did say above that Triple 000 and Mobile Data Services were working Okay. We use Telstra...no problems.
That is another reason to keep a landline - that is all I use. I do notr posssess a mobile....which irks a number of people :)

They did say above that Triple 000 and Mobile Data Services were working Okay. We use Telstra...no problems.
That is another reason to keep a landline - that is all I use. I do notr posssess a mobile....which irks a number of people :)
Telstra changed all the land lines to work with the NBN, so when they go down whenever Telstra has a problem, I know this because I have been told by people who have been affected by these outages

I'm with Vodafone so didn't have any problems but my mother and brother did and he couldn't make calls he was getting messages with each number that ut was discontinued he did however called me at 6.45 am this morning and woke me up . He said Goodmorning Sis just seeing if your phone was working apparently it was only telstra to telstra as he was able to call me.

WHO CALLS SOMEONE THAT EARLY IN THE MORNING 🌄
I imagine he at least owes you a cuppa for the, uh, advanced awakening :LOL:

Reactions: Suzanne rose