Television star and screenwriter Meg Bennett passes away at 75

The entertainment world has lost a shining star with the passing of Emmy Award-winning writer and actress Meg Bennett, who left us at the age of 75.

On April 11, after a battle with cancer, Bennett's light dimmed, leaving behind a legacy that touched the hearts of many.

Her obituary, published in the Los Angeles Times on April 21, painted a picture of a woman whose passion for her craft and love for her family knew no bounds.

Helen Margaret (Meg) Bennett, a name synonymous with daytime television drama, was a force to be reckoned with.

After performing in the original cast of Broadway's Grease, she secured a role on the daytime soap opera Search for Tomorrow in 1974.

Her most notable on-screen roles included the complex Julia Newman on The Young and the Restless and the formidable villain Allegra Montenegro on General Hospital.

GLuZZilWsAAzk7B.jpg
Meg Bennett succumbed to cancer. Image source: @dinahleigh/X (Twitter)

But Bennett's talents weren't confined to acting; she was also a masterful scriptwriter, weaving intricate stories for the very shows that brought her acting acclaim, as well as for other beloved soaps like The Bold and the Beautiful, Santa Barbara, and Sunset Beach.

Her prowess as a writer was recognised with five Daytime Emmy nominations, culminating in a win in 1995 for her outstanding work on General Hospital.

Beyond the screen, Bennett's life was one of collaboration and love.

She met her husband, fellow writer Robert Guza Jr, in the halls where the drama unfolded daily at General Hospital.

Together, they formed a creative partnership that was both professional and personal, often working side by side on scripts that would captivate audiences.

This year would have marked their twentieth wedding anniversary, a milestone that speaks volumes about their shared dedication to each other and to their art.

She is survived by her husband, two stepdaughters, and four grandchildren, who will carry forward the light of her spirit.

Eric Braeden, who played Victor Newman on The Young and the Restless, paid tribute to Bennett.

He posted: ‘My first “wife” Julia, played by my friend MEG BENNETT, has passed away! She succumbed to the ravages of cancer! I had not seen much of MEG in the last years, except at my 40th anniversary!’

GLxrvGLbwAAdLQx.jpg
Bennett and Braeden co-starred in the TV series The Young and the Restless. Image source: @MichaelFairman/X (Twitter)

‘She was such a bright and gentle lady! I remember she taught me about the history of soaps and the actors in it! She was very bright, and BILL BELL had her write for him!’

‘She was a pleasure to be around and have conversations with; always very informed! I remember her infectious smile and gentleness! She was a beautiful woman!’ he said.

One fan wrote: ‘I adored her. She was such a wonderful actress, and she never aged. Oh, this just breaks my heart. Rest in peace, beautiful Meg. You will be dearly missed.’

‘My condolences to the family and other fans. I remember when she first appeared on the show as Julia Newman. Another Angel has gained her wings,’ another stated.

As we remember Meg Bennett, we reflect on the impact she had on the world of television and the lives of those she touched.

Her storylines may have been fictional, but the inspiration and joy she brought to viewers were very real.

Bennett's contributions to the soap opera genre have left an indelible mark, and her memory will live on in the hearts of fans and colleagues alike.

Here’s a clip of Bennett in Search for Tomorrow:

Source: YouTube​

Key Takeaways
  • Emmy Award-winning writer and actress Meg Bennett, known for her roles in soap operas, has passed away at the age of 75 after a battle with cancer.
  • Meg Bennett played Julia Newman on The Young and the Restless as well as the villain Allegra Montenegro on General Hospital.
  • She also made her mark as a scriptwriter on various soap operas, winning a Daytime Emmy in 1995 for her writing on General Hospital.
  • She is survived by her husband, fellow writer Robert Guza Jr, two stepdaughters, and four grandchildren. They would have celebrated their twentieth wedding anniversary this year.
Our thoughts and prayers are with Meg Bennett’s family during this difficult time. May she rest in peace.

Sponsored