SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Telephone Operators

Remember when you had to go through an operator to speak with someone on the phone?

This photo is from a manual telephone exchange from the 1950s. It’s crazy how far technology has advanced. Nowadays, you can call anyone with the help of a phone that fits in the palm of your hand.

Yesterday's Australia.jpg

📸
: Australia Remember When FB Group

Reactions: MJPB on Magnetic
Telephone Operators

Remember when you had to go through an operator to speak with someone on the phone?

This photo is from a manual telephone exchange from the 1950s. It’s crazy how far technology has advanced. Nowadays, you can call anyone with the help of a phone that fits in the palm of your hand.

View attachment 1221

📸
I worked on these at the National bank in Melbourne in the 70’s. Back in the days when a lady bought around the tea trolley and bicky’s. They actually employed someone to do that! Such fun. When the banks got Cafe bar machines it was all downhill from then. 😉

Telephone Operators

View attachment 1221

📸

these old switchboards were great. I was trained on the second busiest switchboard on the northshore of Sydney. We had to make all interstate calls for staff and patch them through to the extensions. These were placed with the trunk operators. That’s when it used to be known as the PMG. Overseas calls were a nightmare but fun to speak to all the operators.

Reactions: Vella Gonzaga
I used one of these straight out of school at 15. It was my favourite part of office work. A button switchboard came out after this but these were my favourite. Great memories. Also remember the tea lady. She was an older lady and so lovely. Always had a quick chat with her every day.

Telephone Operators

View attachment 1221

📸
Part of my first job in 1975 was leaning to use the Sylvester Switchboard, but i think it only had 20 lines..x

Reactions: Vella Gonzaga
That was the first kind of switchboard I ever used back in the late 70’s and I had a ball using it. I was so upset when they replaced it

Telephone Operators

View attachment 1221

📸
Yes, I worked a 'Ball Drop' party-line exchange at Qld Ag College when I was a student there. My wife was a Telephonist in the RAAF and I was in communications and also worked and was in charge of these systems as part of my job. Many fond memories.

Yes, I worked a 'Ball Drop' party-line exchange at Qld Ag College when I was a student there. My wife was a Telephonist in the RAAF and I was in communications and also worked and was in charge of these systems as part of my job. Many fond memories.

Hi Lex, I also was a telephonist in the 60 ‘s was a good job and i made many friends