Tech Talk with Dr Al: Mobiles Phones for Seniors

Note from the Editor:
This article was written by member Alan G.

In this age of ever-confusing and often surprisingly frustrating technology, we often yearn for the days when we used to almost lie in wait for the postman to bring that all-important letter, card or parcel. We’d take delight in reading about the everyday doings of friends and family by this ancient method of communication.

Suddenly, it seems, it’s all changed. Youngsters communicate by ‘texting’ cryptic, almost coded messages on mobile phones that look more like small TVs. We learnt of very useful ‘apps’ without which we’d be condemned to a life on the outskirts of modern society. All is not lost, though.

There are phones that are made specifically for the ‘technologically challenged’ of our society, and I’ve researched this – so you don’t have to!

Sponsored
I have just bought a new laptop and found that I HAVE to have a mobile number. I do have a mobile but rarely it is used and now will be obsolete next month and I did not intend to buy another as I rarely go anywhere alone these days. Previously I would drive to country areas to visit my sisters. Now on registering the new laptop I have to have this mobile. Why must I make a purchase of something I never really use ? The one I have sits in my handbag but probably is flat anyway. I hate being told by these companies how I must live my life and buy all and sundry.

Hi maggiej - If I'm told I need to supply a mobile phone number, I type in my 8 digit landline number with the 2 digit area code in front. This doesn't always work but it's worth a try.