Tech Talk with Dr Al: Bidet Attachments – A Convenient Advantage

Note from the Editor:
This article was written by member Alan G.

Bidets (pronounced Bee-day) have been around in Europe for a very long time. They are in the very best hotels in France, and it’s only fairly recently that the word has ‘got out’ that they may be very useful. I think the problem has been that we’ve mistakenly thought that they were really a tool only used by French prostitutes – and of course, we never had those in Australia, did we? Joking aside, as we get older, we tend to like using softer toilet paper, especially when we’ve had an upset stomach. Even better – why use any toilet paper at all? Want to know how that’s possible? Read on!

Sponsored
I have had one supplied by DVA for many years due to a back injury in Viet Nam. I don't know if they were invented before or after sliced bread, but they are way ahead. For those with back problems of twisting or turning problem they are wonderful and it just plugs into a power point and a handy man can install it.

these are not new. I had a cold water one for years. Now I have the electric with a warm seat warm water etc.
Love it.

Reactions: Ezzy and Gsr
I’m in the vast majority that don’t really understand how they work. Do they get all the mess? How do you know you really have got it all? Do you drip dry? Towel dry? Pat dry? See? Clueless. My sister has a home in Bali and has had a bidet for years and swears by it but I just don’t know. I’d be mortified if I used it wrongly and left a mess behind.

Having suffered from Chrohns for many years I have just had a bidet toilet seat fitted I wish I had this fitted a long time ago, and those who have a colonoscopy often you really should consider a bidet no more sore bums.

I’m in the vast majority that don’t really understand how they work. Do they get all the mess? How do you know you really have got it all? Do you drip dry? Towel dry? Pat dry? See? Clueless. My sister has a home in Bali and has had a bidet for years and swears by it but I just don’t know. I’d be mortified if I used it wrongly and left a mess behind.
In plain english, they shoot water up you arse and flush out the bullshit that is fed to us by Coles, WW and the likes.
Leaves you nice and clean and you're not left with that after toilet smell that is noticeable after someone just been for a dump.
Sorry for being so direct.

I got mine on ebay for $30. Worth every cent. It also has a fanny wash as well. After having one, it really sucks going to a loo without one. No to sure about the hand help type though. PS. Don't use unless you are sitting on the can.

Reactions: Ezzy
I agree with you @maxesmum about questioning how to dry. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: Ezzy and IAN3005
I have had a hand held one for over 4 years, purchased in a hardware store in the Philippines for around AUS $10. Living in Qld I find that I don't have a real cold water problem so it was just a matter of buying a T- connection and connecting it up to the outlet for the WC. It has worked brilliantly throughout and with assistance from a bit of lube (Sorbolene) it provides very natural help for dealing with fairly minor constipation caused by some of my medications. Find I need just 2 to 4 sheets of soft TP to pat dry so a money saver too. A great win win situation.

This is something medically required by me due to worsening bowel inconvenience, to go along with my bladder one already!

Sorry to harp on but drying? Does it do that too or do you dry yourself with toilet paper? @David567,your directness was deeply appreciated. I got it! Thank you

Thankyou for this article Dr Al. I have often wondered about a Bidet but didn't know who to ask. Questions now answered.

Regarding drying or the like, l stopped using toilet paper around 10 years ago, finding it too rough for my tender butt & have been using Wet Ones or similar (whatever is on special) & buy in bulk. Contrary to what we are told about flushing these, l do & have never had a blockage. At the Sewerage Plant all such non- dissolvable products are separated from liquid waste so no problems. (You would be surprised at what ends up at this point of the process).

I injured my back in Viet Nam and DVA kindly supplied a very good one that is plumbed in, but I have done it myself. It only needs the tap at the pan itself turned off and then it is plugged into a power point. It uses minimum of power and water, so don't worry about the running cost and mine has a remote that is used whilst one sits in splendor. The next time there is a rush on loo paper,. no worries.