SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
Tear-jerking moment two brothers reunite after 77 years – ‘It was unbelievable!’

With all the grim stories we’ve been bombarded with lately, a refreshing story about a special moment between two brothers might be just what we’ve been needing to hear – with the potential to make us tear up for all the right reasons.

When Geoff, Barry, John, and Ted Nobb’s mother passed away from cancer back in 1945, their father Albert struggled to cope with the tragic demise. Knowing that he would be unable to raise all four sons alone, Albert placed Geoff up for adoption and kept his three other sons.

Little Geoff was adopted by a couple who moved to Australia in 1951. At the time, Geoff was only seven years old.

Throughout the years, Ted, Barry, and John have attempted to find their little brother but to no avail. However, unbeknownst to them, Geoff had been doing the same. He managed to track them down in 2014, four years after the eldest brother, John, passed away.

EjqnEvcQPVmn6IW1PgtSUKDs_6YJ1pZzEbNC82eFME2hRxfI7iycEQNwH1iwQFN2mFj20dw1LS35eb1xVQ7cH_YUtXsqWNF3GJ5DlT1kfMZcxRs2OpAnKAxAmS0knSZMj725MVhpSmYzAC6u_Zr06vEKXHFWMD07BUkVnWUaCB2bxIXK6jC5yilh_A
Ilc4fHCbZqxbajBowhGhnWMSoK4jVBz5GPlrFLG2Cd4-W5S6oQq8rmQniQbHB0dAwLzVNDS5Oha6e7ARDta4mohKgTf2qqlvdHbPDpgHMyT54C__m19n3mFsv3YjJo938RBS9z3rIB6pUDSjHIx-Py0KQdGeTGDCY2TZlOVPViTAP8zO9Jj0G7JFPA

Ted and Geoff Nobbs reunited. Source: Dailymotion, mirror.co.uk

Geoff sent Barry a letter and they all began contacting each other through Skype and on the phone, finally getting in touch with each other after being separated for several years.

Then, Ted decided to fly out to Australia from Warwickshire to cross paths with his brother again. He flew out on his own as Barry is sadly too ill to travel.

Ted's 48-year-old son, Christopher, helped arrange the flights. He shared: 'I feel relieved and so happy that dad and Geoff have finally managed to meet up again after spending nearly a lifetime apart.’

'Dad wasn't nervous at all, he was just excited, he was buzzing when he set off from the UK. The trip means so much to him, I think after all the lockdowns, COVID-19-related delays, and travel issues, he was fearing it would never actually happen.’

After being thousands of miles apart to mere meters, emotional footage captured the two siblings tearfully hugging each other at Sydney Airport.

Geoff can be heard saying: 'You all good mate? As soon as I saw you walk down there, I thought it was you.'

Source: Dailymotion

When asked about the special moment, Ted said: 'It was something that I never thought would happen in my life. It had been an amazing experience meeting Geoff for the first time, it was unbelievable.’

'I'm staying with Geoff currently, we've been having days out and getting used to Australia and then we're off sightseeing. It is something I never thought I would be able to do. I'm here for three weeks and determined to make up for the lost time.’

'It shocked me when he found us, I just didn't think it would happen. There were a few tears shed.' he continued.

Geoff, who lived in the south of Sydney, added: 'It was an overwhelming experience, it was amazing really. To think I've finally met my brother, it's just beyond me.'

'I've been showing Ted different sights and we're off up to see the Great Barrier Reef this week.’

'It's been emotional and I couldn't wait to give him a big hug. We're certainly going to show him a good time while he is here.'

Ted’s son said: 'When the brothers found each other and got in touch a few years ago, after searching for so long, dad said it felt like winning the lottery.

8gjLGUCKtdkKWNWT5WlD9Dj0FSZ41L1ep38DWzHgipXMzwPt7ePurh0R1HfGbLcg1o_kZiwqFdO_eZ6CpGfZj2_BBwvw1cv4TLojDAr91iRSoAL2XuIxep76AsOoMrWscntcwIJ9BLv5qps3SQtgK3fPNzvP7_iQ-EwJO9vBE5-HBWGO8lglsvzLGA

Ted holding up a picture of himself with his siblings. Source: Lancs.live

'So to now go and meet up face to face – well, you can see from the video just how much it meant to both of them.’

'It's a massive deal for dad to fly out there on his own too after we lost mum last year who had been a big part in planning all this. She'd be so proud and happy that it has become a reality. Also, it has been 50 years since dad last got on a plane.’

'It's a shame that all four brothers couldn't be part of that big reunion hug, but I'm sure there'll be plenty of photos, videos, and memories to share with Barry when dad returns home. I think we've all got a little bit of disbelief that it's now become real.’

'Geoff's over the moon too and has been enjoying showing his little brother around his part of the world and introducing him to his family. There's also Geoff's granddaughter's wedding for them all to look forward to.’

'I've told my dad to enjoy every precious moment of this trip as it will soon fly by. We're so grateful to Geoff and all of his family who have put in a lot of effort to make dad feel so welcome out there and make his visit unforgettable.'

nx_AJGGU_YD1wj_o9MgBLJtDGYpqEBwpRkg4pt0xwhHpNrgQZCi1Fi62I_7QsXXyAsWCI_sgkR9f2uV1EO-_9rXZmXUKCCAYclIMOmFN7wVy06VyeFk6CZ9T1gPmQTfDh68rP3pCkbizzRA8j8xQSLqS_wgDox5LbIWtsrsYsxQi7qQxv9iVA8HTZA

The two brothers were ecstatic after seeing each other again. Source: The Mirror

Barry, who is now 81 years old, said that he’s ‘extremely happy for them but quite envious of Ted being able to go’.

'I can't sit down for long enough, it's quite heart-breaking as I just want to give him a hug - but it's really lovely that Ted will be able to do so.’

'I'm just glad we've found him after all these years.' he continued.

Now, who’s cutting onions around here? We’re definitely not crying… What are your thoughts about Ted and Geoff’s reunion? Do you have a similar story to share? Let us know in the comments!

Learn more about the brothers’ story by watching the video below:

Source: SWNS

This is a wonderful story for many people especially after the last war in England . Many young people lost their parents in one way or another and were placed into children's homes and later sent to Australia and other Commonwealth countries who have also been fortunate to find other family members after many years thanks the Child Migrant Trust, My husband was one of them so I know how wonderful it was for these two men to find each other after so long. Hope they have many more years to communicate with each other and are in good health to make that long trip to meet again

Reactions: Ricci
Yes, the memories locked away in my late husband's heart, & I to be continuing the happy thoughts after 61 years of silence to find his half brother & sister sadly now at peace with Our Lord. What is meant to be WILL be. At least we were so lucky to all be together for more than what our story of the 4 brothers will have. and Ricci, Good luck in whatever/whichever miracle is going to happen through my pray power dear.

• Love
Reactions: Ricci