Take care! 70-year-old dies after getting infected by rare mosquito-borne disease

We hope you’re putting extra effort into staying safe and keeping an eye out for potential health risks in your area, especially during mosquito season!

As you already know, mosquito bites can cause all sorts of rashes and nasty side effects but recent reports are providing much cause for concern.

A case of a potentially deadly illness has been detected by local authorities in NT, prompting an urgent health alert.

In January, a woman in her 70s died from Murray Valley Encephalitis. It is believed she ‘most likely’ contracted the disease in Darwin.

The case is the third recorded in NT in the last five years, according to reports.

This development comes just days after SA health officials announced the detection of another case in Clare, which caused concern as it is reportedly the first instance of the disease outside of communities along the Murray River.

What is Murray Valley Encephalitis?

1280px-Mozzie_-_Culex_annulirostris.jpg
The common banded mosquito is a known vector of Murray Valley Encephalitis. Image Credit: Flickr

The rare disease is caused by the Murray Valley Encephalitis Virus (MVEV), known to be present in Northern Australia and Papua New Guinea.

The most common carrier of the disease is the common banded mosquito Culex annulirostris, which has light brown colouring and distinct bands along its body.

The mosquito is said to be active all year round but is especially active in October and May.

Getting bitten by a mosquito carrying MVEV isn’t bad news per se as cases are ‘often asymptomatic’.

In the rare cases where symptoms manifest, those with the disease can have fevers, headaches, nausea, vomiting, and tiredness.

More concerning cases of Murray Valley Encephalitis have reported severe headaches, sensitivity to bright light, seizures and fits, drowsiness, loss of consciousness, neck stiffness and confusion.

Encephalitis refers to swelling of the brain. Severe cases of the disease may lead to long-term brain damage or death.

There is currently no known cure for Murray Valley Encephalitis, though one study says a vaccine for Japanese Encephalitis offers cross-protection ‘against lethal challenge’ for the illness.

Aside from the NT and SA, Murray Valley Encephalitis has been known to occur in VIC and NSW.

Since recording began in 1974, there have been 39 cases of the rare disease in Australia. Nine of these ended in death.

Aussies, particularly at-risk age groups like children and seniors, are advised to take necessary precautions against being bitten by mosquitoes to help prevent infection by the MVEV.

Source: YouTube/7News

Similar warnings were issued in March 2022 against Japanese Encephalitis in NSW, VIC, and QLD after the virus-borne disease was detected.

Key Takeaways

• A potentially deadly mosquito-borne virus called Murray Valley Encephalitis has been detected in the Northern Territory.
  • Local health authorities have issued an alert after a woman in her 70s died from the illness in January.
  • There is no treatment or vaccine for the disease, which is asymptomatic in most cases.
  • There have been a total of 39 Murray Valley Encephalitis cases around Australia since recording began in 1974 and nine deaths.
Anyone experiencing any symptoms after getting bitten by mosquitoes, especially those matching Murray Valley Encephalitis, is encouraged to seek medical attention.

How do we protect ourselves against mosquitoes_.jpg
Wear light and loose clothing that covers your body adequately when outdoors as added protection against mosquitoes. Image Credit: Seniors Discount Club

Please share this concerning news with friends and loved ones, especially in mosquito-ridden areas so many people can be aware.

In the meantime, you can watch this video posted by NSW Health on Murray Valley Encephalitis.

Stay safe and we wish you the best of health!

Source: YouTube/NSW Health

Last edited:
Sponsored
I contracted Murray Valley Encephalitis in 1981. I was the fourth person in WA, to contract the disease at Goldsworthy Iron Ore Mine out of Port Headland in the North West. Long story short; I went into a Coma and admitted to Royal Perth hospital. I was in the coma for 10 days then a month in the hospital and a month convelescing before I was allowed to fly back to the UK, to be wih my family, as I was here on my own. On my discharged from Royal Perth Hospital, I looked like a prisoner of the second world war, I was just skin and bone.

I had to teach myself how to write and walk again as the viral infection attacks the central nervous system. After two and a half years with dogged determination, I did manage to resume my work in the mines. Eventually I fully recovered, although some would say I still have mental problems? Ha! Ha!

People especially your kids, please be very cautious and cover up and spay exposed areas as Murray Valley Encephalitis is Australia wide, with the flooding that we are experiencing at the moment! We did not know this way back then.

May God Bless you and yours with Health! Wealth! & Happiness! Amen!

Regards
Phil

Hi, having read your article on the mosquito problem, it bought back such memories for me. I contracted Ross River Fever years ago while holidaying in Queensland, very unpleasant. As for Murray Valley Encephalitis, I nursed people at Fairfield Infectious Diseases Hospital in the 70's who contracted this illness, and they were in iron lungs. Still remember them like it was yesterday.

Hi, having read your article on the mosquito problem, it bought back such memories for me. I contracted Ross River Fever years ago while holidaying in Queensland, very unpleasant. As for Murray Valley Encephalitis, I nursed people at Fairfield Infectious Diseases Hospital in the 70's who contracted this illness, and they were in iron lungs. Still remember them like it was yesterday.
Hi Deidre
Yes I still remember it as if yesterday. I get quite anciouse when I see people in wheel chairs, as that could have been me. I was so greatfull for the nurses who cared for me, most were student nurses, so they had a study in my condition. God Bless! Ox

I urge everyone to NOT do what used to be customary. Mozzies are active during twilight so give the hosing of your gardens a holiday @ this time. I bought several of the now popular "Buzzbegone" zappers for Christmas gifts. They had them on special so I took the opportunity & I have never seen a better way of trapping those creatures. Keep an eye out on your PC. They are bound to release them again. Well worth whatever you pay.

Reactions: Jennie
We hope you’re putting extra effort into staying safe and keeping an eye out for potential health risks in your area, especially during mosquito season!

As you already know, mosquito bites can cause all sorts of rashes and nasty side effects but recent reports are providing much cause for concern.

A case of a potentially deadly illness has been detected by local authorities in NT, prompting an urgent health alert.

In January, a woman in her 70s died from Murray Valley Encephalitis. It is believed she ‘most likely’ contracted the disease in Darwin.

The case is the third recorded in NT in the last five years, according to reports.

This development comes just days after SA health officials announced the detection of another case in Clare, which caused concern as it is reportedly the first instance of the disease outside of communities along the Murray River.

What is Murray Valley Encephalitis?

View attachment 13594
The common banded mosquito is a known vector of Murray Valley Encephalitis. Image Credit: Flickr

The rare disease is caused by the Murray Valley Encephalitis Virus (MVEV), known to be present in Northern Australia and Papua New Guinea.

The most common carrier of the disease is the common banded mosquito Culex annulirostris, which has light brown colouring and distinct bands along its body.

The mosquito is said to be active all year round but is especially active in October and May.

Getting bitten by a mosquito carrying MVEV isn’t bad news per se as cases are ‘often asymptomatic’.

In the rare cases where symptoms manifest, those with the disease can have fevers, headaches, nausea, vomiting, and tiredness.

More concerning cases of Murray Valley Encephalitis have reported severe headaches, sensitivity to bright light, seizures and fits, drowsiness, loss of consciousness, neck stiffness and confusion.

Encephalitis refers to swelling of the brain. Severe cases of the disease may lead to long-term brain damage or death.

There is currently no known cure for Murray Valley Encephalitis, though one study says a vaccine for Japanese Encephalitis offers cross-protection ‘against lethal challenge’ for the illness.

Aside from the NT and SA, Murray Valley Encephalitis has been known to occur in VIC and NSW.

Since recording began in 1974, there have been 39 cases of the rare disease in Australia. Nine of these ended in death.

Aussies, particularly at-risk age groups like children and seniors, are advised to take necessary precautions against being bitten by mosquitoes to help prevent infection by the MVEV.

Source: YouTube/7News

Similar warnings were issued in March 2022 against Japanese Encephalitis in NSW, VIC, and QLD after the virus-borne disease was detected.

Key Takeaways

• A potentially deadly mosquito-borne virus called Murray Valley Encephalitis has been detected in the Northern Territory.
  • Local health authorities have issued an alert after a woman in her 70s died from the illness in January.
  • There is no treatment or vaccine for the disease, which is asymptomatic in most cases.
  • There have been a total of 39 Murray Valley Encephalitis cases around Australia since recording began in 1974 and nine deaths.
Anyone experiencing any symptoms after getting bitten by mosquitoes, especially those matching Murray Valley Encephalitis, is encouraged to seek medical attention.

View attachment 13602
Wear light and loose clothing that covers your body adequately when outdoors as added protection against mosquitoes. Image Credit: Seniors Discount Club

Please share this concerning news with friends and loved ones, especially in mosquito-ridden areas so many people can be aware.

In the meantime, you can watch this video posted by NSW Health on Murray Valley Encephalitis.

Stay safe and we wish you the best of health!

Source: YouTube/NSW Health

Oh my goodness another fear mongering story to put the fear of God into us. This is neither new nor that dangerous. Whilst it is serious and some die (my Dad almost died of it) the risk of getting it is probably much less than having a car accident in a life of 70 years. Mostly seen in SA in this country it is there every year. Mosquitoes carry it and can infect people. Most will not know they have it or have had it. Like Ross River, Dengue and some others it is only a very small percent of the population who get sick from it. Stop the panic. We don't have one. When it get so 40% of the population either dead or very sick I will perhaps worry.

Dear Lizzie

If one life is saved by my post, then I have achieved my life's work! And yes, I now fear God from becoming a Christian, from Studying the Australian National Flag of all things, back on 23rd July 2000 after being a total Agnostic and not looking to become a Christian! Like the story Footprints in the Sand Jesus Christ has carried me so many times from near death experiences. Murray Valley Encephalitis was only one of them. I am now staring to write the book. May The Lord God, Jesus the Christ and the Holy Spirit bless you and yours with Health! Wealth! & Happiness for now and into Eternity! Amen! & Amen!