Sydney woman won a million dollars simply for being vaccinated

One lucky woman from Sydney just woke up a million dollars richer.

Joanne Zhu, a fully vaccinated student in NSW, was announced as the major prize winner of the Million Dollar Vax campaign.

F2lHA35ja5Od1Qb3oIqF1gYBrRJwII23EHryrOjKkXX2gw5UzfaXWO8WZt98R5K6NbPvr9j77Ml5491bvJDElvL5e8qA5G3M8Zrq5VG7oCMLNLSFs4yF492yCiUEEXwOa006IEUs

Joanne Zhu was the lucky winner among 2.74 million fellow Australians eligible for the cash prize for just receiving their Covid-19 vaccines. Photo by Sam Ruttyn.

“Someone rang me the other day, and I think it was on Friday, and I was at work, I couldn't pick up the phone. Then I called them back, and she said, ‘Oh, you won a million dollars! You’re the only one in Australia!’” Zhu recalled.

“Am I dreaming? Is this real? I cannot believe it,” she confessed when asked for a statement.

The 25-year-old told reporters that she wanted to share her newfound wealth with her family and friends.

“I would like to book a nice restaurant with my friends to go to and have a nice dinner.”

“I think I want to fly my family out from China to a five-star hotel for Chinese New Year, if the borders are open, and I will buy presents for my family and invest the rest of the money so I can make more money in the future and to help people if they need help.”

Ms Zhu said she hoped vaccination rates would continue to rise so the borders could open up once again.

DPc3pC-Q87cF9IKKokSgvAJXoe1gYsLIX1hxRz7ZZDsAEyFMHVHfa4eCEaOxe3u4UwB6qucQlXB7wYsJSLyVoDq-KmYBzg2PJf0v_SmPTTt-WmcdsIExfZVv7FOmD78f6jzvazjH

Australia reached an 80 per cent milestone of vaccinated citizens on Saturday. Photo from CNN.

In a bid to encourage citizens to get their jabs, a group of philanthropists and giant corporations, known as the Million Dollar Vax Alliance, launched the nationwide raffle in October.

In addition to the cash prize, the alliance handed out 100 gift cards worth $1000 daily to the pool of vaccinated citizens. More than 3,100 participants received prizes which total $4.1 million.

Alliance spokesperson Craig Winkler said he was proud of the campaign’s role in getting jabs in arms.

“All of us behind the campaign are incredibly proud of what it has achieved; it’s excellent to announce the winner finally,” he said.

“The most encouraging element was the late increase in entries from states such as South Australia, Queensland and Western Australia, encouragingly receiving over 100k entries on the final day of the campaign.”

“The Million Dollar Vax campaign has played its part, and all the health benefits to you, your family, the community and the most vulnerable among us are still prizes that we can win,” he added.

“We have collectively shown what can happen when Australians get on board.”

“Let’s finish the job.”

Reactions: Liag
Sponsored