Caly M

Apr 29, 2023
Suspicious transactions

Like Marie, I also received a call from a well spoken, patient, Indian accented man who claimed to be from NAB fraud squad.
I was also asked to download the NAB app, which I thankfully refused to do!!
I asked his name which he gave with NO hesitation : “Michael Matthews”….and he then gave me his ID.
He told me there had been at least a dozen fraudulent transactions on my account from overseas via Amazon, PayPal etc.
I asked why I could not see these transactions when looking in my account on line & he told me NAB had rejected them temporarily until they had contacted me to determine if I had authorised the payments or not.
This is when he insisted that I download the app which would provide me with total security AND I would be able to see the transactions that had been blocked!!
I contacted NAB Fraud squad who told me they would:
1) never make a call like that;
2) never insist on the downloading of an app (which, like Marie, would have given him complete access to my account);
3) never give their ID number;
4) no one of that name works for NAB.
Lesson learned!!!
Thankfully I escaped, but like Marie I came away feeling incredibly stupid for nearly falling for this very realistic and plausible SCAM.

Suspicious transactions

Like Marie, I also received a call from a well spoken, patient, Indian accented man who claimed to be from NAB fraud squad.
I asked his name which he gave with NO hesitation : “Michael Matthews”….and he then gave me his ID.
He told me there had been at least a dozen fraudulent transactions on my account from overseas via Amazon, PayPal etc.
I asked why I could not see these transactions when looking in my account on line & he told me NAB had rejected them temporarily until they had contacted me to determine if I had authorised the payments or not.
This is when he insisted that I download the app which would provide me with total security AND I would be able to see the transactions that had been blocked!!
2) never insist on the downloading of an app (which, like Marie, would have given him complete access to my account);
Lesson learned!!!
Thankfully I escaped, but like Marie I came away feeling incredibly stupid for nearly falling for this very realistic and plausible SCAM.
It's not your fault, @Caly M! Cybercriminals are constantly finding ways to make their schemes seem believable. Thank you for being brave enough to share your experience with us! This will help plenty of people from falling for the same scam.

Suspicious transactions

Lesson learned!!!
I wouldn't feel stupid for nearly falling victim.
You should be grateful for your sense of mistrust in this situation. You did good, and, thanks for sharing.

Suspicious transactions

Lesson learned!!!
An full blown English name with and Indian accent, I will not be getting on that Bus (say it with an Indian accent peeples)