Sushi shop surcharge leaves Aussies divided - is it greedy or fair?

Takeaway sushi is one of our all-time favourite comfort foods. Not only is it delicious, but thanks to its simple ingredients and easy-to-eat format, it's also a very healthy option for lunch or dinner.

It's no wonder that this popular Japanese dish has become so popular in recent years – we're always on the lookout for new and interesting cuisine to try, after all!

But as much as we love our sushi rolls, we also have to admit that they can sometimes be a bit pricey – especially if you're buying from a sushi shop rather than your local supermarket.

And unfortunately, it looks like one Canberra store has found a way to make their products even more costly.

Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 2.12.09 PM.png
Should sushi shops charge extra for customers who want their rolls cut? Credit: Pexels/Ivan Samkov.

Recently, an image was shared on the forum website Reddit of a sign from a local takeaway sushi place that implemented a 30c 'Cutting Service Surcharge' for each sushi roll purchased.

In other words, if customers wanted their rolls cut into smaller pieces before eating them, they would need to pay an extra 30c per roll.

Needless to say, people were not happy about this surcharge at all!

After the image was shared on social media, many users took to the comments section to voice their outrage over what they considered to be an unfair extra fee.

'Greed much?' said one user, with another adding: 'The [more reasonable] move is to just raise the price 30c, cut or not.'

It seems like many people agree that if cutting up sushi rolls takes additional time and effort on behalf of the staff, then the business should raise the price instead of having a separate cutting fee.

Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 2.12.18 PM.png
A sushi takeaway place drew flak over an unexpected surcharge. Credit: Reddit.

However, not everyone was so quick to judge the sushi shop in question. Several hospitality workers also took to the comments section to share their own experiences with 'entitled' customers and to explain why the surcharge might be necessary.

'This is totally fair. As someone who worked in hospitality for years, customers often ask for the most entitled requests,' said one user.

They then went on to share their experience: 'One time, I had this woman order a burger, and she asked me to cut the pineapple into four pieces, dice rather than slice the onion, butter only one side of the bread and then a few other requests I don't remember.'

'At first, we said no because all of her demands would take too much time. She lost it and went on a rant about customer service. So my boss made me do it, and she would come back in every week with the same list of stupid demands.'

'Anyway, that's a long way of saying customers are annoying and charging them for their unnecessary requests is totally valid,' they went on to say.

Another defended the shop, saying: 'I support this. You have to put on plastic gloves, and then you end up dirtying chopping boards and knives and have to wash them up again. 30c is very reasonable.'
Key Takeaways

• A sushi shop is charging a 30c 'Cutting Service Surcharge' for each sushi roll purchased.
  • Social media users are divided on the matter, with some saying it is greedy and others saying it is fair.
  • Hospitality workers have defended the surcharge, explaining that it is disruptive and time-consuming to have to constantly cut up food for customers.
What do you think, members? Should sushi shops charge customers who want their rolls sliced, or do you think it's unreasonable? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Should be factored into the cost. Our local Fish and Chip shop has 80c surcharge on chips. So when I buy $5 chips it costs $5.80? Can't figure that one out. Make my own now cheaper and easier.
And would be better although I don't think that charge is lawful I'm pretty sure they can only charge a surcharge on Sundays and public holidays

Reactions: Ricci and Deb Locky
People don't have to buy their products and services - a business has a right to charge what they see fit. A customer has a right to buy or not. This is what a free market economy is based on.

Reactions: debjane and Ricci
Better get used to all these ridiculous charges because more probably are coming, what really gets me is the surcharge that you get if you use a Debit Card that is just wrong. Soon you will be charge for water to be bought to the table, if you want something heated etc.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
Takeaway sushi is one of our all-time favourite comfort foods. Not only is it delicious, but thanks to its simple ingredients and easy-to-eat format, it's also a very healthy option for lunch or dinner.

It's no wonder that this popular Japanese dish has become so popular in recent years – we're always on the lookout for new and interesting cuisine to try, after all!

But as much as we love our sushi rolls, we also have to admit that they can sometimes be a bit pricey – especially if you're buying from a sushi shop rather than your local supermarket.

And unfortunately, it looks like one Canberra store has found a way to make their products even more costly.

View attachment 9031
Should sushi shops charge extra for customers who want their rolls cut? Credit: Pexels/Ivan Samkov.

Recently, an image was shared on the forum website Reddit of a sign from a local takeaway sushi place that implemented a 30c 'Cutting Service Surcharge' for each sushi roll purchased.

In other words, if customers wanted their rolls cut into smaller pieces before eating them, they would need to pay an extra 30c per roll.

After the image was shared on social media, many users took to the comments section to voice their outrage over what they considered to be an unfair extra fee.

'Greed much?' said one user, with another adding: 'The [more reasonable] move is to just raise the price 30c, cut or not.'

It seems like many people agree that if cutting up sushi rolls takes additional time and effort on behalf of the staff, then the business should raise the price instead of having a separate cutting fee.

View attachment 9032

However, not everyone was so quick to judge the sushi shop in question. Several hospitality workers also took to the comments section to share their own experiences with 'entitled' customers and to explain why the surcharge might be necessary.

'This is totally fair. As someone who worked in hospitality for years, customers often ask for the most entitled requests,' said one user.

They then went on to share their experience: 'One time, I had this woman order a burger, and she asked me to cut the pineapple into four pieces, dice rather than slice the onion, butter only one side of the bread and then a few other requests I don't remember.'

'At first, we said no because all of her demands would take too much time. She lost it and went on a rant about customer service. So my boss made me do it, and she would come back in every week with the same list of stupid demands.'

'Anyway, that's a long way of saying customers are annoying and charging them for their unnecessary requests is totally valid,' they went on to say.

Another defended the shop, saying: 'I support this. You have to put on plastic gloves, and then you end up dirtying chopping boards and knives and have to wash them up again. 30c is very reasonable.'
Key Takeaways

• A sushi shop is charging a 30c 'Cutting Service Surcharge' for each sushi roll purchased.
  • Social media users are divided on the matter, with some saying it is greedy and others saying it is fair.
  • Hospitality workers have defended the surcharge, explaining that it is disruptive and time-consuming to have to constantly cut up food for customers.
What do you think, members? Should yes sushi shops charge customers who want their rolls sliced, or do you think it's unreasonable? Let us know in the comments below!
A ridiculous charge, what is customer service. If a little extra work is required to meet customers request why penalise them..... totally inappropriate and excuses given by other service staff makes me wonder just what their role is.

View attachment 9031

View attachment 9032

Key Takeaways

What do you think, members? Should sushi shops charge customers who want their rolls sliced, or do you think it's unreasonable? Let us know in the comments below!
If they can't cut your sushi for free I wouldn't go back and it's not the cost that would annoy me it just should be part of the service and it obviously used to be because they have only just added the charge

View attachment 9031

View attachment 9032

Key Takeaways

I think it is reasonable

And I think all surcharges were supposed to go because all the workers got a rise for working on the weekend but they never did go, just the world we live in now greed greed greed.
My daughter works in a Cafe and they charge a surcharge on Sundays and a customer asked how come the surcharge and the boss replied to cover the higher rate for the workers. My daughter just looked at the other staff member 😳 you see they get exactly the same hourly on a Sunday as they do during the week

• Sad