Survey reveals just how often Aussies wash (and change) their sheets - how do you compare?

It's time to get real about one of the most tedious household chores - washing your bed sheets.

We've all experienced the luxurious feeling of slipping into a bed with freshly cleaned sheets, but let's be honest, keeping up with the task can sometimes slip our minds amidst life's many commitments.

To get a better understanding of the bed-sheet-washing habits of our fellow Aussies, 9Honey surveyed over a thousand people. The results are in and they just might surprise you…

Do you wash your sheets as often as you should, or do you push off the chore for a few extra days? Read on to find out what the survey uncovered about your fellow Aussies!

Screen Shot 2023-02-02 at 1.51.54 PM.png
Washing the sheets regularly is a must if you want to have a good night's sleep. Credit: Pexels/Castorly Stock.

As it turns out, the majority of the Aussies interviewed are weekly sheet washers. About 41 per cent of the participants are all about keeping their bed feeling fresh and clean.

Meanwhile, the fortnightly washers (37 per cent) say they simply don't have the time to wash them more often.

The monthly washers (14 per cent), on the other hand, claim they don't see the need to wash their sheets more often because they have high-quality sheets that hold up well and don't get dirty as quickly.

But what about the 5 per cent of Aussies who wash their sheets a few times a year? Well, they may want to reconsider their habits. According to hygiene experts, washing sheets less often can lead to a buildup of germs, dust mites, and allergens. Yuck!

And finally, the 2 per cent who wash their sheets every few days are definitely making sure their bed is a clean and safe place to sleep. But the thought of their water costs makes us stop and think… is there such a thing as overwashing?

wash sheets (1).jpg
According to hygiene experts, sheets should be washed every one to two weeks. Credit: SDC.

So, what do these findings tell us? Aussies have different approaches to washing their sheets, but the majority seem to be on the right track, following expert advice and keeping their beds fresh and hygienic.

Aside from these percentages, here’s what some of them have to say:

One of the participants said: 'I know that washing sheets monthly might sound gross, but I live alone, don't have a sexual partner and I shower at night, not in the morning, so my sheets stay cleaner longer.'

Another went on to share: ' I wash the sheets weekly unless it's raining on the weekend, then it's fortnightly. Sheet washing is the weekly average depending on climate, hot and humid washing is more frequent.'
Key Takeaways

• A recent survey revealed just how often (or seldom) Aussies wash and change their sheets.
  • The results were interesting, with 41 per cent of Aussies washing their sheets weekly, 37 per cent washing their sheets fortnightly, 14 per cent washing their sheets monthly, 5 per cent washing their sheets a few times a year, and a mere 2 per cent washing their sheets every few days.
  • According to hygiene experts, sheets should be washed every one to two weeks.

Screen Shot 2023-02-02 at 1.52.01 PM.png
To be able to wash your sheets on a regular basis, it helps to have at least two sets of sheets. Credit: Unsplash/Justine Camacho.

If you are tired of constantly sleeping on dingy sheets but are short on time, don't worry because we've got you covered!

To make it easy to maintain a routine of washing and changing your sheets, make sure you have at least two sets. That way, you can easily swap out one set for the other when it's time to do laundry.

Now, when it comes to washing, you want to make sure you're doing it right.

Overloading the machine can lead to ineffective cleaning, so make sure to only wash what the machine can handle. Use your favourite laundry detergent, but if you want to take things up a notch, add a half cup of baking soda to help brighten your whites and remove any odours.

Also, try to avoid fabric softeners as much as you can! Instead, add a quarter to half a cup of white vinegar to the fabric softener compartment. This is just as effective but won't leave any film or residue on your sheets.

Adding a few drops of lavender essential oil can not only make your sheets smell like a spa day but also help you sleep better. Lavender is known for increasing melatonin production, which means a better night's sleep for you. And let's be real, who couldn't use a little extra Zzz in their lives these days?

Finally, after you've finished washing your sheets, hang them outside in the sun for the best drying conditions. Trust us, once you start following these tips, you'll never want to sleep on anything but fresh, clean sheets!
Tip
Regular washing and changing can only do so much to keep your sheets fresh and clean. So, how do you know when it's time to throw in the towel and invest in a brand-new set or two? Feel free to check out this previous article we wrote here.
Members, what do you think of this article? Which group do you belong to?

If you're one of the rare few who wash their sheets every few days, then props to you! Your devotion to fresh linens is truly inspiring. On the other hand, if you're one of the many who only wash their sheets once a month, don't worry! You're definitely not alone.

We hope our tips help you stay on top of washing and changing your sheets - if you have any other tips or tricks you’d like to share with the SDC community, please let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I love nothing more than getting into bed to fresh crisp sheets.
I have extra sheet sets but I love airing my bed while my sheets dry on the line.
During this time I give my room a good clean eg mop under bed

I wash my sheets once a week , either every Friday or Monday. Even in winter which I have extra sheets incase they don't dry.

My bedspread or quilt I was once a month and blankets every three months.

It's time to get real about one of the most tedious household chores - washing your bed sheets.

We've all experienced the luxurious feeling of slipping into a bed with freshly cleaned sheets, but let's be honest, keeping up with the task can sometimes slip our minds amidst life's many commitments.

To get a better understanding of the bed-sheet-washing habits of our fellow Aussies, 9Honey surveyed over a thousand people. The results are in and they just might surprise you…

Do you wash your sheets as often as you should, or do you push off the chore for a few extra days? Read on to find out what the survey uncovered about your fellow Aussies!

View attachment 12707
Washing the sheets regularly is a must if you want to have a good night's sleep. Credit: Pexels/Castorly Stock.

As it turns out, the majority of the Aussies interviewed are weekly sheet washers. About 41 per cent of the participants are all about keeping their bed feeling fresh and clean.

Meanwhile, the fortnightly washers (37 per cent) say they simply don't have the time to wash them more often.

The monthly washers (14 per cent), on the other hand, claim they don't see the need to wash their sheets more often because they have high-quality sheets that hold up well and don't get dirty as quickly.

But what about the 5 per cent of Aussies who wash their sheets a few times a year? Well, they may want to reconsider their habits. According to hygiene experts, washing sheets less often can lead to a buildup of germs, dust mites, and allergens. Yuck!

And finally, the 2 per cent who wash their sheets every few days are definitely making sure their bed is a clean and safe place to sleep. But the thought of their water costs makes us stop and think… is there such a thing as overwashing?

View attachment 12710
According to hygiene experts, sheets should be washed every one to two weeks. Credit: SDC.

So, what do these findings tell us? Aussies have different approaches to washing their sheets, but the majority seem to be on the right track, following expert advice and keeping their beds fresh and hygienic.

One of the participants said: 'I know that washing sheets monthly might sound gross, but I live alone, don't have a sexual partner and I shower at night, not in the morning, so my sheets stay cleaner longer.'

Another went on to share: ' I wash the sheets weekly unless it's raining on the weekend, then it's fortnightly. Sheet washing is the weekly average depending on climate, hot and humid washing is more frequent.'
Key Takeaways

• A recent survey revealed just how often (or seldom) Aussies wash and change their sheets.
  • The results were interesting, with 41 per cent of Aussies washing their sheets weekly, 37 per cent washing their sheets fortnightly, 14 per cent washing their sheets monthly, 5 per cent washing their sheets a few times a year, and a mere 2 per cent washing their sheets every few days.

View attachment 12708
To be able to wash your sheets on a regular basis, it helps to have at least two sets of sheets. Credit: Unsplash/Justine Camacho.

If you are tired of constantly sleeping on dingy sheets but are short on time, don't worry because we've got you covered!

To make it easy to maintain a routine of washing and changing your sheets, make sure you have at least two sets. That way, you can easily swap out one set for the other when it's time to do laundry.

Overloading the machine can lead to ineffective cleaning, so make sure to only wash what the machine can handle. Use your favourite laundry detergent, but if you want to take things up a notch, add a half cup of baking soda to help brighten your whites and remove any odours.

Also, try to avoid fabric softeners as much as you can! Instead, add a quarter to half a cup of white vinegar to the fabric softener compartment. This is just as effective but won't leave any film or residue on your sheets.

Adding a few drops of lavender essential oil can not only make your sheets smell like a spa day but also help you sleep better. Lavender is known for increasing melatonin production, which means a better night's sleep for you. And let's be real, who couldn't use a little extra Zzz in their lives these days?

Finally, after you've finished washing your sheets, hang them outside in the sun for the best drying conditions. Trust us, once you start following these tips, you'll never want to sleep on anything but fresh, clean sheets!
Tip
Regular washing and changing can only do so much to keep your sheets fresh and clean. So, how do you know when it's time to throw in the towel and invest in a brand-new set or two? Feel free to check out this previous article we wrote here.

If you're one of the rare few who wash their sheets every few days, then props to you! Your devotion to fresh linens is truly inspiring. On the other hand, if you're one of the many who only wash their sheets once a month, don't worry! You're definitely not alone.

We hope our tips help you stay on top of washing and changing your sheets - if you have any other tips or tricks you’d like to share with the SDC community, please let us know in the comments below!
High quality 1000TC or more are best. I use just a little Fabric Softener for freshness but it also helps to keep them crease free. I always hang them tight with no sagging and these things mean no ironing required. Fold or straight back on the bed, never leave them in the laundry basket as they will crease. I like the idea of drops of lavender oil so will try that, but I find a little quality fabric softener also works for fresh fragrance.

Being brought up in the era of set jobs every day of the week, I still like to wash my sheets once a week. I also have always had at least 3 sets of bed linen for each bed. Summer in Queensland means a lot of sweat at night especially if you have no air-con as I don't. so at least weekly is the norm for me.

View attachment 12707

View attachment 12710

Key Takeaways

View attachment 12708

Tip

I used to wash mine every week but when my shoulders went on me it went to once a fortnight as I can’t lift the mattress, and I struggle to hang the sheets on the line, I can’t lift my arms over my head so started using the clothes dryer, so now my sheets get changed when my kids come over, lately it’s been pretty regular but I have really good sheets so that helps and I shower last thing at night and it’s only me in the bed so they stay clean longer, but hey who doesn’t love clean sheets 🥰

Linen change day is every Saturday morning, rain, hail or shine. I shower twice a day, morning and evening, and still cannot imagine not changing sheets every week. Towels, and hand towels every Saturday morning too. I have done this for decades with no plans to change. I probably should wash my doona cover more often instead of every few months, but I can live with that. Every Saturday morning I clean through the house, vacuuming the carpet, washing floors and dusting.

Reactions: Jennie
High quality 1000TC or more are best. I use just a little Fabric Softener for freshness but it also helps to keep them crease free. I always hang them tight with no sagging and these things mean no ironing required. Fold or straight back on the bed, never leave them in the laundry basket as they will crease. I like the idea of drops of lavender oil so will try that, but I find a little quality fabric softener also works for fresh fragrance.
Agree. A good wash and clean crisp sheets, linen including doonas and pillows. I just washed my pillows and crisp and clean. I also dry on the clothesline. A good quality liquid detergent like Bio Zet Essentials, bleach, fabric whitener, Sard Laundry Sanitiser and good quality fabric softener. White sheets. Plus the bed liner. The doonas about 3 times in summer and once before winter sets in. Then, first warm day in spring the doonas again, then pillows. All dry on the clothesline.

A good wash and clean crisp sheets, linen including doonas and pillows. I just washed my pillows and crisp and clean. I also dry on the clothesline. A good quality liquid detergent like Bio Zet Essentials, bleach, fabric whitener, Sard Laundry Sanitiser and good quality fabric softener. White sheets. Plus the bed liner. The doonas about 3 times in summer and once before winter sets in. Then, first warm day in spring the doonas again, then pillows. All dry on the clothesline.