Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Surfing

compressed-Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 1.41.29 PM (1).jpeg
Credits: Facebook/Australia Remember When

Do you remember the Australian surfing craze of the 1960s? Those were the times when the beaches of Australia were a surfer's paradise, with epic events and legendary surfers. The Australian surfing boom back in the day sparked creativity in photography, art, music, cars, and other pop culture landmarks. Were you once involved in the surfing craze? Share your favourite surfing memories with us here!

Last edited:
I celebrated my 21st birthday on a Darwin beach. A Japanese war ship was in the harbour and I was sitting on the beach while my boyfriend was out surfing. All of a sudden all these sailors came running up to me with cameras shouting something I couldn’t understand.pointing at me with the cameras saying photo photo. I was officially there pin up girl that year. Mind you I had a skimpy bikini on and a figure like Elle McPherson minus the boobs.😈loved my youthful days
So there maybe photos of you floating around Japan .
Would love to see pictures of you . It would be so good to see pictures of everyone on here instead of visualising

I was very young in the 60s but remember my aunt who is 10 years older with her blonde hair , short dress being picked up by her surfer boyfriend in his herbie car with surfboard on top .

In the 70s I was always at Cronulla beach and even then it was full of Aussie Surfer dudes. Oh they were the days . Hot summer days , blue skies and surf.
There is nothing better than laying on the sand with the warm sun on your back and listening to the waves crashing on the beach and smelling the salt air .

I sure do. Could not surf myself and no girls surfed back then. But, if a guy allowed you to wax his board for him...well! ...you knew for sure he liked you and that meant everything. You would be so excited at the prospect of being allowed to wax their board for them. Seems so trivial now but it wasn't back then, it was like an honour badge.

• Haha
Reactions: Wandiwa