Supermarket inquiry reveals heartbreaking struggles Aussies are facing

As we navigate the aisles of our local supermarkets, filling our trolleys with the essentials and perhaps a few treats, it's easy to overlook the complex dynamics that shape our shopping experience.

However, a recent inquiry into the supermarket sector has peeled back the curtain, revealing the stark realities of Australian grocery habits, and the pressures many face in keeping their pantries stocked.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has been delving deep into the state of the supermarket industry, and what they've found is both concerning and illuminating.

With over 13,000 Australians contributing their voices to the inquiry, a picture emerged of a nation grappling with the rising cost of living, with groceries taking a significant bite out of household incomes.

compressed-shutterstock_1184814664.jpeg
An ACCC inquiry found that Australians are changing their shopping habits due to the current cost-of-living crisis. Credits: Shutterstock

For some, the financial strain led to heart-wrenching decisions.

Reports of parents skipping meals to ensure their children are fed, and individuals foregoing fresh produce in favour of cheaper frozen alternatives, are a sobering testament to the sacrifices being made.

According to the survey findings, a higher proportion of young Australians and households with lower incomes are dedicating 25 per cent of their earnings to their weekly grocery purchases.

The inquiry's findings resonated with the experiences of many, yet, the World Bank's data positioned Australia as the third most expensive G20 country for groceries, a ranking that adds weight to the daily challenges faced by shoppers.

The ACCC's supermarkets inquiry isn't just about numbers and statistics; it's about the lived experiences of everyday Australians.

Deputy Chair Mick Keogh emphasised the importance of these personal stories in understanding the full impact of grocery pricing on the cost of living crisis.

With a call for more submissions before the April 2 deadline, Mr Keogh aims to enhance the breadth of expertise within the inquiry to provide a more comprehensive perspective to the government.

‘Taking into account the demographics of those who have already responded, we particularly want to hear from more adults under the age of 30, people for whom English is not their first language, and people in rural and regional parts of Australia,’ he urged.

‘Having responses that reflect the whole community’s experience will help us to identify the right issues that need to be explored more deeply in our inquiry.’

You can go to this link to submit your own responses.

The government instructed the ACCC to initiate an inquiry into Australia's supermarket industry in January, marking 16 years since its previous comprehensive investigation into the sector.

Within its purview, the ACCC is examining various aspects such as the pricing strategies adopted by supermarkets, the involvement of small and independent retailers, and the ramifications of enhanced data collection and technological advancements.

Results from the consumer survey will be incorporated into the ACCC's interim report, scheduled for release by the end of August.

This inquiry by the ACCC is one of several ongoing investigations delving into the operations of Australia's supermarkets, as calls intensify for government action to dismantle the dominant position held by Coles and Woolworths.
Key Takeaways

• An ACCC inquiry highlighted that Australians are changing their shopping habits due to the rising cost of groceries and broader living costs.
  • Some Australians are now spending up to a quarter of their income on food, with reports of people skipping meals, and parents sacrificing their meals to feed their children.
  • The consumer watchdog's supermarkets inquiry received over 13,000 submissions, revealing the significant impact of grocery prices on Australians' cost-of-living crisis.
  • The ACCC called for a wider range of submissions, particularly from young adults, non-English speakers, and rural residents, to give a comprehensive view ahead of the April 2 deadline.
Have you found innovative ways to save on your weekly shop? Are there particular challenges you face in accessing affordable, nutritious food? Let us know your insights and experiences in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I only buy my groceries when they are on special, and it takes our pension went into the bank on Monday and is all but gone buy Friday. It is so very hard for pensioners. We have worked and paid taxes and the government eats up all our money we are still paying high taxes to our government on food, petrol, power, water, if they could they would tax the air we breath. I find this government is the reason for anxiety and depression for pensioners. Other countries respect and take care of there elders .

I have had to cut back to 1 meal a day, health insurance, phones, gas(I wash up using cold water) shower once a week, and wash clothes once a month to stretch the $. Even then I don't come out on the pension. Would need the pension to be double to come out.

"I can't afford to feed the kids and myself...."

Meanwhile....

"My gym membership is due, I have to meet up with my ice dealer and tomorrow, I have an appointment with the tattooist for a full back job".

Don't worry! I see such misguided fools EVERY DAY!
They can't get their priorities in order....

I completed the survey for the ACCC and they ask very good questions and allow you space to add your own story
If anyone is in the demographic they are asking for now it would be helpful to submit your story to enable a more encompassing view of the situation.

Reactions: TheBear and IAN3005
I completed the survey for the ACCC and they ask very good questions and allow you space to add your own story
If anyone is in the demographic they are asking for now it would be helpful to submit your story to enable a more encompassing view of the situation.
They better not come anywhere near me..... I'll tell them a thing or two...

Reactions: Veggiepatch
I find that being in a country town, we don't have a plethora of supermarkets to choose from. I try to save money by going to Griffith where they have a Steggles business and buy eggs, Chicken drumsticks, Chicken Maryland and Chicken breast in bulk to feed us. I find that this helps spread our Pension a little bit further.

Reactions: Liz and Veggiepatch
I find that being in a country town, we don't have a plethora of supermarkets to choose from. I try to save money by going to Griffith where they have a Steggles business and buy eggs, Chicken drumsticks, Chicken Maryland and Chicken breast in bulk to feed us. I find that this helps spread our Pension a little bit further.
The issue of cheaper housing/rentals versus lack of services, public transport and isolation comes into play.

It doesn't matter if you live in Sydney or Louth NSW, Centrelink benefits are uniform across the board.

The issue of cheaper housing/rentals versus lack of services, public transport and isolation comes into play.

It doesn't matter if you live in Sydney or Louth NSW, Centrelink benefits are uniform across the board.
That is the thing that stops me from moving..... my rental subsidy goes down so does my pension.