Supermarket faces outrage over insufficient markdown on expiring product

Amid a cost-of-living crisis squeezing household budgets across the nation, Australian shoppers are scrutinising every cent spent at the supermarket checkout.

It's no surprise that a recent incident involving a Coles customer has sparked a heated debate about the value of supermarket discounts, particularly when it comes to items nearing their best-before dates.

A Coles shopper recently took to social media to express their dismay over what they deemed an 'insulting' markdown on a packet of mince.

The product, a day away from its best-before date, had been reduced by a mere 33 cents from its original price of $6.50.

1729555666260.png
Criticism aimed at Coles for offering a small discount on near-expiry meat was deemed insubstantial and insulting. Credit: Shutterstock

The photo of the paltry discount quickly drew the ire of Australians, who are increasingly frustrated with major supermarkets' pricing tactics.

This incident comes when Coles and Woolworths are under the microscope for their discounting practices.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has accused the grocery giants of misleading consumers with promotions that inflate prices before applying discounts, creating the illusion of savings where there may be none.

The backlash against Coles' mince markdown is emblematic of a broader discontent with supermarket pricing strategies.

Many consumers argue that such negligible discounts on products close to expiration fail to offer real value and contribute to significant food waste, as items are often discarded rather than sold at a more reasonable markdown.

Comments from disgruntled shoppers highlight the sentiment:

'Even the markdown prices are insulting these days,' and 'The discounts these days tell me that they would rather chuck it all in the bin than offer up a real bargain.'

Another added, 'And then they dare to ask us for charitable donations to feed the hungry.'

New research from the Australia Institute’s Centre for Future Work has revealed that supermarkets are largely to blame for the country's rising cost of living.

In a recent poll, 83 per cent of respondents said supermarkets deserve 'some blame or a great deal of blame.'

This anger toward supermarkets surpasses the frustration directed at energy companies, banks, and the government.

According to six out of 10 people, grocery prices are the most notable sign of increased cost-of-living pressures.

This is a significant concern for Australians, especially those over 60 who often manage on fixed incomes and are particularly vulnerable to price hikes in essential goods.

In response to these concerns, the Albanese government has expedited its supermarket crackdown, establishing a mandatory grocery code that would impose multimillion-dollar penalties for businesses that breach the rules.

The ACCC has initiated legal action against Coles and Woolworths for allegedly hiking prices on over 500 items before promoting misleading discounts.

An interim report from the ACCC's supermarket inquiry found that prices have risen across all grocery product types, with the steepest increases in dairy products, bread, and cereal items.

Meat and seafood prices have risen by a fifth, while fruit and vegetable costs have gone up by 19 per cent from the March 2019 quarter to the June 2024 quarter.
Key Takeaways
  • Coles has been criticised for offering a small discount on meat close to its best-before date, which consumers find insubstantial and insulting.
  • The ACCC has accused Coles and Woolworths of misleading customers with deceptive discount practices.
  • Consumers blame supermarkets for a significant part of the rising cost of living, with new research highlighting extensive public frustration.
  • The government is fast-tracking a supermarket crackdown, including a mandatory grocery code, amid legal action regarding price hikes and misleading discount promotions.
What do you think about supermarket prices for near-expiry products? What changes would you suggest for better discounts? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
I too have noticed that the reduced price for "near expiry date" items is not the purchase. It's better to buy a fresher one for the full price.
I think it's well past the time that Australia introduce the same ruling as France and stop the waste of food from supermarkets. I believe that France has made it a rule that these products all get donated to charities to forward food on to those in need and i know that there are a great many families here in Australia that would benefit greatly from this.

If the supermarkets want to stop waste then i think they should offer these items for half their original price, failing that, as i said previously, offer these items to charities for families in need.
It's fine to offer food to charities but then only the people on the coast benefit from this gift. Those who live in rural areas never see the fruit/veg/meat which has been given to charities. We benefit more from the produce being reduced in store so we can buy at a price we can afford.

#1. People continue to shop at Coles and Woolies - best of luck to them...
#2. If people are expecting a miracle from the ACC..... FORGET IT... the are a toothless tiger...

Reactions: relljube and Jill57
l don’t know where these so called price rises come from but they are way off. Fruit and veg up by 19%what a load of rubbish. More like 50
percent%. I could name several grocery items l buy regularly that have increased in price by up to 40% in the last 2 years.
Speaking of price rises my shopping yesterday at Woolies came to $174, l checked my receipt when l got outside and the checkout operator had
accidentally hit the amount key twice so charged for 11 mangos instead of one.
Always check your receipt before you leave.

I am happy to hear I am not the only one who shakes my head in disbelief when I see Coles meat reduced by paltry amounts 33c is a joke I just keep walking and now I buy my meat from Aldi the quality of the steak is so much better

Coles is still ripping us off!
I love their ‘specials’ deals . Advertising specials as $7.50 each or 2 for $15. Duh?? This is very common and I pick this up all the time. Then they have the hide to tell you ‘special deal unlocked’ for you!!!!
See pic Makes my blood boil - insulting our intelligence!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2819.png
    IMG_2819.png
    264.6 KB · Views: 0
l don’t know where these so called price rises come from but they are way off. Fruit and veg up by 19%what a load of rubbish. More like 50
percent%. I could name several grocery items l buy regularly that have increased in price by up to 40% in the last 2 years.
Speaking of price rises my shopping yesterday at Woolies came to $174, l checked my receipt when l got outside and the checkout operator had
accidentally hit the amount key twice so charged for 11 mangos instead of one.
Always check your receipt before you leave.
Always do

I got some lovely pork chops reduced by about one third the other day in Woolies. If you look around you can find bargains.

Reactions: PattiB
That’s okay if you have somewhere else to go.
That's the only reason... some poor buggers have to put up with being ripped off. For now anyway.
This is how Sam Walton made his fortune.... he would open stores in areas that had no competition and make a killing.

• Wow
It’s really beyond a joke that people cannot afford to feed themselves or the family so they have to cut down on luxury items even basic food and cut back and only eat one meal a day and have a piece of fruit during the day ! Some families even argue , fight as it’s all about trying to budget to pay the other Bills that come into the household!

• Sad