Supermarket employee’s resignation letter is trending – it only contains TWO words!

Admit it, everyone has had at least one job that they hated. But whether it’s the office drama, mental exhaustion, or unreasonable pay that has prompted you to pick up a pen and write a resignation letter, staying professional up until the last second you walk out the company’s doors is always a must… Or is it? Well, one supermarket employee begs to disagree.

A recent video of an employee, or rather, an ex-employee from Woolworths has taken social media by storm for being so… Unconventional? Unprofessional? Hilarious? A little bit of all three perhaps!

The Woolies team member Kenny, who goes by the username @kennykendera, shared footage of himself yanking the resignation letter that he wrote from a printer.

eenuXxnRSPm9YVmzw3_gaolx_fjDd54P8O3fxt89PkQhot1MoMlOk0F1HYU00I2aMXMWuF_uhLGPwKGpBFdTH-m8otj0Ytzwe5E6Ahzi7ZtIaJ26nnn-1h7Gzbz-PmPtLXEfe_vsmUxGlfzuHdVZ55sYW5LNoS5iPSzidHcdU1lkPy1tZts8LhoSYQ

Kenny wrote the shortest and most controversial resignation letter we’ve ever seen. Source: Unsplash

‘I just wrote my resignation letter for Woolies.’ he captioned the video. ‘The time has finally come.’

As the camera slowly focused on the letter’s contents, viewers were in for a surprise as it only contained two words: ‘Bye lol.’

Before we move on, let’s all take a moment to process how brilliantly bizarre Kenny’s letter is.

The letter sparked a plethora of mixed reactions, amassing over 2.1 million views and thousands of comments from other supermarket and retail workers who shared their resignation stories.

‘Well, I just texted my store manager and said “I quit.” Lol!’ one wrote.

Another wrote: ‘I resigned last week via email. It was great.’

dRHdVAQWNfwlFJk0G-t-xMghQt0rqEXXtBilUW1IMvrFAjzKiwjc1wLkngjUcB1WM0RVYWr2_qjyhq2LUKctoluzS-jAMcXyz07N2i97ZrwmgHx98H9ba4lC4SZau05fRAZvPqs5fyspAsoq1z4TWm3TxbvAgUWQvf6f5LEHGwECMS6okq3klv_ixw
rKBvk013sTt-sUbAk0n5cVm0EaYIdFsJzqNLkWzht0aFJwoYnNPmaFs2y9RHZgeZYr27oNchIaGlvdRUu1XSeUFTUp2su2LGPHwdFFTd91bjBQXw5wwBhJB3v3_Q6v7-Yqq3MTSN0iNGrirnxRx3-WmIx2WGj0NwxDt5rS9XgIRC6FABS0Uv1zRnCg

Someone tell us what Woolworths did to Kenny. Source: @kennykendera

‘I texted my ex-boss “Thanks for the wages, I won’t be back”.’ a third said, while a fourth chimed: ‘I verbally told my boss at Macca’s that I quit. He said “I need it written”, so I wrote “I quit” on a napkin and left.’

‘I completely understand. I worked for Woolworths, so I can relate. You nailed it!’ another ex-employee from Woolworths claimed.

It’s unknown whether Kenny used the letter for his actual resignation as he added the hashtag ‘#comedy’ to the video.

However, others encouraged him to deliver the note in question.

‘Absolute beauty right there.’ a user praised, while one more said: ‘Honestly, this should be acceptable. It’s straight to the point, no drama.’

What are your thoughts about Kenny’s resignation letter? What’s YOUR most unforgettable resignation story? Share it with us in the comments. We’d love to hear from you!

Sponsored
Admit it, everyone has had at least one job that they hated. But whether it’s the office drama, mental exhaustion, or unreasonable pay that has prompted you to pick up a pen and write a resignation letter, staying professional up until the last second you walk out the company’s doors is always a must… Or is it? Well, one supermarket employee begs to disagree.

A recent video of an employee, or rather, an ex-employee from Woolworths has taken social media by storm for being so… Unconventional? Unprofessional? Hilarious? A little bit of all three perhaps!

The Woolies team member Kenny, who goes by the username @kennykendera, shared footage of himself yanking the resignation letter that he wrote from a printer.

eenuXxnRSPm9YVmzw3_gaolx_fjDd54P8O3fxt89PkQhot1MoMlOk0F1HYU00I2aMXMWuF_uhLGPwKGpBFdTH-m8otj0Ytzwe5E6Ahzi7ZtIaJ26nnn-1h7Gzbz-PmPtLXEfe_vsmUxGlfzuHdVZ55sYW5LNoS5iPSzidHcdU1lkPy1tZts8LhoSYQ

Kenny wrote the shortest and most controversial resignation letter we’ve ever seen. Source: Unsplash

‘I just wrote my resignation letter for Woolies.’ he captioned the video. ‘The time has finally come.’

As the camera slowly focused on the letter’s contents, viewers were in for a surprise as it only contained two words: ‘Bye lol.’

Before we move on, let’s all take a moment to process how brilliantly bizarre Kenny’s letter is.

The letter sparked a plethora of mixed reactions, amassing over 2.1 million views and thousands of comments from other supermarket and retail workers who shared their resignation stories.

dRHdVAQWNfwlFJk0G-t-xMghQt0rqEXXtBilUW1IMvrFAjzKiwjc1wLkngjUcB1WM0RVYWr2_qjyhq2LUKctoluzS-jAMcXyz07N2i97ZrwmgHx98H9ba4lC4SZau05fRAZvPqs5fyspAsoq1z4TWm3TxbvAgUWQvf6f5LEHGwECMS6okq3klv_ixw
rKBvk013sTt-sUbAk0n5cVm0EaYIdFsJzqNLkWzht0aFJwoYnNPmaFs2y9RHZgeZYr27oNchIaGlvdRUu1XSeUFTUp2su2LGPHwdFFTd91bjBQXw5wwBhJB3v3_Q6v7-Yqq3MTSN0iNGrirnxRx3-WmIx2WGj0NwxDt5rS9XgIRC6FABS0Uv1zRnCg

‘I texted my ex-boss “Thanks for the wages, I won’t be back”.’ a third said, while a fourth chimed: ‘I verbally told my boss at Macca’s that I quit. He said “I need it written”, so I wrote “I quit” on a napkin and left.’

‘I completely understand. I worked for Woolworths, so I can relate. You nailed it!’ another ex-employee from Woolworths claimed.

It’s unknown whether Kenny used the letter for his actual resignation as he added the hashtag ‘#comedy’ to the video.

‘Absolute beauty right there.’ a user praised, while one more said: ‘Honestly, this should be acceptable. It’s straight to the point, no drama.’

What are your thoughts about Kenny’s resignation letter? What’s YOUR most unforgettable resignation story? Share it with us in the comments. We’d love to hear from you!
It's great straight to the point, love it

After working in the same job for over thirty years (a job I had loved), I knew the time was coming when I no longer wanted to be there. By this time I was working as a casual, working up to 90+ hours a fortnight on one occasion. I carried my resignation letter with me for several months before working my last shift. I told no-one it was my last. I placed the letter into a large envelope with my ID and swipe card, taped it to the boss's door (it was the weekend), and just walked out. Best feeling ever!

No matter how bad the job is "Burning" your bridges behind you can result in problems at anytime in the future so being polite does not hurt anyone, yes I know there some real arsehole bosses out who think the sun shine out of their Mouth(butt) and no matter how polite you are will always give you a bad review or give a bad report even to the point of doing it on purpose, My eldest found that out working thru Labour hire mobs.

I hope he washed the napkin before he posted it. Babies can make a helluva mess.

• Haha
Reactions: Tipsy and Ezzy

Put it this way he won’t be getting a reference to take along to his next job

Reactions: Ezzy and Marj53
Regardless I would hand them my resignation letter. If I was mistreated I would also add a second letter out lying what they need to change
Good advice - that's what I did when I quit. I tendered a polite letter of resignation with plenty of notice. That particular company had a policy of not giving employees references. I asked my divisional manager for one and all my colleagues said I would never get one. My manager gave me a one-page reference that actually said absolutely nothing. I showed it to a friend and said "What would you think of a reference like this?" and he said, "Well, the phrase "damned with faint praise" comes to mind". I said that's what I thought. So I went above my manager's head and sent a letter to the CEO. I told him exactly why I quit and why I thought I deserved a decent reference. He agreed and gave me one. I took great delight in showing it off to my colleagues and manager. Sometime you just have to stand up for yourself.

Last edited:
I worked at Woolworths during school holidays, then later for a few months, before returning to study. My manager told me I could work for Woolworths at any time in the future. I didn't take him up on it, but it was a great safety net for all of my working life. It costs nothing to be professional.

He can't be serious. Foolish young ones...and not-so-young ones...just don't realise that you NEVER burn your career bridges. It always comes back to haunt you. There goes his job reference and any prospect of future employment with the old employer, should things not work out.

When any potential employer asks about his work history, the potential applicant can either leave it out (which leave an obvious hole in their CV) or lie. Either way, it's not a good look or start. If the new employer contacts Woolies, it won't end well for the applicant.

Like I said, don't burn your bridges. What's easy and "cool" now is naive and will come back to bite you in your career bum. You will lose that job you lied to get and get effectively blacklisted.

Last edited:
In 1982 the employer was given ample notice & l didn't think to ask for a reference, though l don't believe this would have been a problem. Approx 6 months after leaving l met an employee from there who told me the business had folded in W.A. after someone from the eastern states visited. A lucky move for me.

What these people don't realise is that they are doing themselves more harm than good. Word does get around from other people as to what they have done.
It states in an employee's award, enterprise agreement, other registered agreement, or employment contract how much notice they need to give when they resign and the employee should put their resignation notice in writing to the employer. Otherwise, the employer is entitled to deduct an amount (usually up to one week's pay) from their final pay if the award or registered agreement, etc. allows for it. The employer can only withhold from their wages, not from any other entitlements owed to the employee.

Reactions: Nannacas