Super-size your savings: New rate hike adds more to your retirement bank!

As Australians navigate through the ebbs and flows of financial planning, particularly in the golden years of retirement, staying informed about the changes that can impact our nest eggs is crucial.

For our savvy members at the Seniors Discount Club, understanding the ins and outs of superannuation is key to ensuring a comfortable and secure retirement.

Recently, there's been a significant update that deserves your attention.

The super guarantee rate has risen to 11.5 per cent as of July 1, 2024.

This uptick from the previous 11 per cent means that the compulsory superannuation contributions made by employers have increased, funnelling more money into your retirement savings.

compressed-shutterstock_599281400.jpeg
The super guarantee rate in Australia increased to 11.5 per cent on July 1. Credit: Shutterstock

According to Australian Taxation Office Deputy Commissioner Emma Rosenzweig, superannuation, often simply referred to as ‘super’, is one of the most vital investments for Australians.

However, numerous taxpayers remain unaware of what they are entitled to and what is required of them.

‘An increase to the super guarantee rate means more money going into your super,’ Ms Rosenzweig explained.

‘When it comes to your financial future, every bit counts.’

Employer superannuation contributions are typically paid at least quarterly, and it's worth noting that the rate is set to rise again to 12 per cent from July 2025.

This gradual increase is part of a government initiative to ensure Australians have sufficient funds when they retire.

Moreover, the concessional super contributions cap has also seen a rise from $27,500 to $30,000 per year.

This cap represents the amount you can contribute to your super each year without incurring additional tax, and it includes both employer and voluntary contributions.

For those looking to bolster their super further, the non-concessional super contribution cap has increased by $10,000 to $120,000 per year.

These are contributions made from after-tax income, and they offer another avenue to grow your retirement savings.

‘Boosts to concessional and non-concessional caps will now give individuals greater scope to make voluntary contributions,’ Ms Rosenzweig remarked.

‘Growing your super by making extra payments adds up over time.’

The ATO also urged taxpayers to become knowledgeable about their superannuation entitlements.

‘It’s important you remain engaged with your super through all stages of your life, not just when you are ready to retire,’ Ms Rosenzweig advised.

‘Take the time to check on your super regularly, or you could be missing out on the right entitlements.’

With the recent increase in the super guarantee rate, Australians can expect more contributions to their superannuation accounts, underscoring the need for individuals to understand their entitlements.

However, while focusing on maximising their super, taxpayers should also be aware of rising superannuation fraud cases.

Scammers are increasingly targeting superannuation accounts, and it's crucial to stay vigilant to protect your hard-earned savings.

Ensuring you are informed and alert can safeguard your financial future against potential scams.
Key Takeaways

• The super guarantee rate in Australia increased from 11 per cent to 11.5 per cent on July 1.
  • This increase will result in higher compulsory superannuation payments by employers into employee's retirement funds.
  • The concessional super contributions cap has also increased from $27,500 to $30,000, while the non-concessional cap increased to $120,000 per year.
  • The Australian Taxation Office also urged taxpayers to remain engaged with their super and be aware of their entitlements and requirements.
Are you maximising your contributions? Are you aware of the tax benefits associated with super contributions? How are you planning to take advantage of the new superannuation rate increase? We invite you to share your experiences and tips with the community in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Doesn't worry me one bit. I cant contribute by the law of the land. So I'm stuffed. How many others in the same boat. Age pensioners & part age pensioners are always disadvantaged when new & better laws are introduced for the betterment if you are working.

One thing in our favour we shud be thankful for are the "Freebies" which are available.

Well was looking at a good retirement at the moment self-funded but that's going to change the wife is taking half after 321/2 years of marriage a screwing another bloke $250,000 gone hope he bleeds her dry and kick her to the curb 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
Can you get half of her super, or has she just sponged off you and not worked. I don't think the system is fair for you blokes.

Reactions: Happy days and Ezzy
Well was looking at a good retirement at the moment self-funded but that's going to change the wife is taking half after 321/2 years of marriage a screwing another bloke $250,000 gone hope he bleeds her dry and kick her to the curb 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
You must be the 5th guy that I know who that has happened to. I hope he bleeds her dry too!

I know a gent whose wife did the same to him & now she lives in a highly sought after area in a very expensive home while he lives in a nice home of much lesser value. He tells me he also has assets which she could not touch or wasn't aware of.

When my daughter divorced she got nothing. He gave her a cheap stereo system while he kept the car bought with money given to our daughter for her birthday.

• Angry
Reactions: Shane O'Neill
I wonder how many “seniors” are still benefitting. I know we are way past the contribution stage

Reactions: Jron
All income earned during marriage is classed as joint and after 32 and a half years any settlement shouldn't involve young children, so the split should be 50/50 so how is he being screwed.
The situation works both ways. When I married my husband owned the home for which he had paid $58,000. Over the 12 years of our marriage I started my own business, sometimes working 12 or more hours a day, 7 days a week. My husband did not work for the last 9 years of our marriage, but drew a wage from MY business. During this time he took out several loans using the house collateral, doing renovations to the home,
new cars, etc. All these loans in total came to nearly $200,000
and we're paid off through the business, my blood, sweat and tears.
When we divorced the judge took the view that the house was his despite the fact that I had paid more than three times the amount than what he originally paid. So who was screwed here.
This particular judge was removed from the bench several years later, after many other dubious biased decisions, but that didn't help me.
The law is an arse.

• Angry
Reactions: Ezzy and Gaena
I know a gent whose wife did the same to him & now she lives in a highly sought after area in a very expensive home while he lives in a nice home of much lesser value. He tells me he also has assets which she could not touch or wasn't aware of.

When my daughter divorced she got nothing. He gave her a cheap stereo system while he kept the car bought with money given to our daughter for her birthday.
Wasn't aware of mmm and he's complaining, sneaky sod.
If she lives in a better suburb and nicer house maybe that is just because that is the decision she made with what to do with what she received.
If it bugs him so much why doesn't he just sell the assets he hid and upgrade, or is he scared of being caught out.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Gaena and marni
They are out there. I know of a couple of ones that have bled their Partner Dry.
I don't know how they can do it but they do. Hopefully they will
get done like the others do.
On the other side of the Coin there are some who get it and lose it. 50/50 The tables have never been fairly set.

Reactions: Ezzy
Wasn't aware of mmm and he's complaining, sneaky sod.
If she lives in a better suburb and nicer house maybe that is just because that is the decision she made with what to do with what she received.
If it bugs him so much why doesn't he just sell the assets he hid and upgrade, or is he scared of being caught out.
He is in the process of downgrading now.

I don't believe l asked.
Fair enough. It's a very sticky situation, two sides to every story.
After such a long marriage she cheated, usually a reason.
No matter what marriages hardly ever end pleasantly and both sides feel they have been hard done by .
My husband spun some good yarns when I left him, usually to strangers. Waste of time telling them to people who knew us, they knew the truth.
When he passed away his current partner rang me to enquire about his Vietnam service, she wanted to include it in his eulogy. He never went to Vietnam, just some more of his BS . More questions from her, more lies. The poor woman's life for the last 8 years had been spent with a stranger, although I didn't tell her that, no need to shatter her reality .
Sad, but true

Reactions: Ezzy
Fair enough. It's a very sticky situation, two sides to every story.
After such a long marriage she cheated, usually a reason.
No matter what marriages hardly ever end pleasantly and both sides feel they have been hard done by .
My husband spun some good yarns when I left him, usually to strangers. Waste of time telling them to people who knew us, they knew the truth.
When he passed away his current partner rang me to enquire about his Vietnam service, she wanted to include it in his eulogy. He never went to Vietnam, just some more of his BS . More questions from her, more lies. The poor woman's life for the last 8 years had been spent with a stranger, although I didn't tell her that, no need to shatter her reality .
Sad, but true
He didn't remarry & l believe his children will benefit from his death.