Sunrise presenter Natalie Barr questions Prince Andrew’s move to pay a settlement of $14 million — “If he didn't do anything, why is he paying money?”

Sunrise host Natalie Barr has made the headlines after she commented on Prince Andrew's new move regarding his ongoing case alleging him of being linked to the late convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein and sexually assaulting a minor.

Ms Barr questioned the Duke of York's motion to reach a settlement with Virginia Giuffre — his long-time accuser — where the estranged royal will make a payout of £7.5million (AU$14.2million).

In her comments during a discussion with journalist Russell Myers on Sunrise's Wednesday broadcast, the TV presenter posed the question of why someone who pleads for his innocence would make such a move, pointing out that the settlement was tantamount to an admission of guilt.

Hr6FlnrF1COxn_h9axk9nGv-aH9cFm_0L1yhAsOb670xt-KtMr9TgOhRtXm2i3H-wWJlIkFaEYV26y64ObO-S3foqhKgrpEo6WaAf06cOLVffC1d3EyZpv6QmJ3q5uf6D9TeREc

Natalie Barr asked the burning question regarding Prince Andrew’s innocence. Credit: Seven.

Mr Myers, who is the royal editor of the British Daily Mirror newspaper, said that the motion may have been made to spare the Royal Family for further embarrassment rather than admitting to the accusations, easing down the demeaning headlines over the controversy.

The journalist also expressed his suspicion that the Royal Family may be "breathing a sigh of relief" now that the lawsuit will be going to court in the United States.

Ms Barr then controversially asked: "The obvious question is: if he didn't do anything, why is he paying any money? Would the palace have influenced the decision?"

Mr Myers supported Barr's argument saying that it is more likely that the Royal Family urged Andrew to settle despite the fact that he had repeatedly protested his innocence and had been vocal that he wanted a jury trial in New York instead.

The journalist said: "This had been an absolute stain on the monarchy for many months now, and with the Queen's Platinum Jubilee coming up... it would have been unthinkable for this to go to trial."

"Many people will be hoping that he sort of fades into the background now."

S7ChaIlE6gfhj-ELwIduJpyW6o03LZZPekZwZc9HQbCZtoH-_YWYSd7LayzePlA7XvrJu4s_wHtyIGAdNt5dJYU0Inge8_NGY9kSo6_uvve8BBKa2V3qTWhb2k_5f2DAf9t-P9M

Prince Andrew and his long-time accuser, Virginia Giuffre, agreed to settle for a lump sum of $14.2 million. Credit: AFP.

A US court filing has shown on Tuesday that Andrew and Giuffre settled the sexual assault lawsuit for an undisclosed sum.

While the parties have not made the amount of the settlement in public, it was reported to be worth £7.5million ($14.2 million) along with a "substantial donation" to a charity established by Giuffre that supports sex trafficking victims.

Virginia Giuffre's lawyer, David Boies, penned a letter to a New York judge to inform them of the motion.

In the letter, it was said that Prince Andrew "regrets his association with Epstein, and commends the bravery of Ms Giuffre and other survivors in standing up for themselves and others".

Mr Boies wrote: "Prince Andrew has never intended to malign Ms Giuffre's character, and he accepts that she has suffered both as an established victim of abuse and as a result of unfair public attacks."

"He pledges to demonstrate his regret for his association with Epstein by supporting the fight against the evils of sex trafficking, and by supporting its victims."

Sponsored
Laugh their ways to the bank. It's female' s trendy at this moment chose the well known targets they could get money or at least become celebs, thanks for media hype. Funny that males victims (real abused when they were young) did not get that much attention.

Laugh their ways to the bank. It's female' s trendy at this moment chose the well known targets they could get money or at least become celebs, thanks for media hype. Funny that males victims (real abused when they were young) did not get that much attention.
Well you might be right- however there are photos of him and Virginia back in the day and there’s no doubt about the prince having a friendship with Epstein (a well known womaniser and sex offender) he was even invited to the palace in the queen’s absence and even sat on her throne! Pretty disrespectful for a favourite son!!
Also if he really was innocent it’s a lot of money and a tacit admission of guilt, which won’t be missed by anyone. I would have thought he would have been right up there demanding his day in court at the very beginning if he had nothing to worry about.
I don’t think it’s a case of “poor little prince the victim of the media” this time.

Reactions: Peppa
Well you might be right- however there are photos of him and Virginia back in the day and there’s no doubt about the prince having a friendship with Epstein (a well known womaniser and sex offender) he was even invited to the palace in the queen’s absence and even sat on her throne! Pretty disrespectful for a favourite son!!
Also if he really was innocent it’s a lot of money and a tacit admission of guilt, which won’t be missed by anyone. I would have thought he would have been right up there demanding his day in court at the very beginning if he had nothing to worry about.
I don’t think it’s a case of “poor little prince the victim of the media” this time.
I have never admired this prince and sure his play boy behaviour comes to haunt him and I can't guess why he settles the case or who pay for it. I commented on the trend recently that many celebs or wealthy men were targeted and highlight by media. There are many many victims of sexual abuse from both sexes in particular the real sex slaves in Asia and Europe as well as young innocent little boys and girls. Sure these victims never have a chance to smile broadly in photos with celebs or rich men or are apologized (for political gain) for their suffering. I would dearly want to see an active pursuit by media, politician and the public.

Reactions: Peppa
I have never admired this prince and sure his play boy behaviour comes to haunt him and I can't guess why he settles the case or who pay for it. I commented on the trend recently that many celebs or wealthy men were targeted and highlight by media. There are many many victims of sexual abuse from both sexes in particular the real sex slaves in Asia and Europe as well as young innocent little boys and girls. Sure these victims never have a chance to smile broadly in photos with celebs or rich men or are apologized (for political gain) for their suffering. I would dearly want to see an active pursuit by media, politician and the public.
I hear what you say and even though this was not that much money in the overall scheme of things- a lot of it is going to Virginia’s charity to help exactly those people you mention.
It is the high profile cases that increase awareness and I hope they keep coming, as it’s too difficult for a journalist to do a story on insignificant offenders and victims- sadly the public won’t be caught up in it enough for a paper to run it. Such is the world in which we live!